Do not talk to Matt Johnsen about old discs - It ends up costing you a lot of money.

When it comes to RIOT. I think some of the better ones that I have liked are.

- Thundersteel
- The Privilege of Power
- Sons of Society
- Born In America

I thought Irishmore was dull. None of the songs really stood out and grabbed me. It is amazing how this band has held up through the decades. It is funny to see how thier sound has changed also. You could put on 4 different CD's and you wouldnt think it was the same band. I would love to see what thier current set list looks like.

Come to think of it, there are a few folks I know from the Ytsejam mailing list in the mid-90s who are in fairly well-known bands now, but I would probably be accused of name-dropping or sucking up or something to mention them in any relevant conversation. Like, when I made plans to go to PP Europe last year, I thought nothing of flinging Marcel Coenen a message and saying "hey haven't seen you since Powermad let's have a drink!" ...because I largely know him as mcoenen from #ytsejam, rather than as The Guitarist For Sun Caged, etc.

This. Come to think of it, it's been YEARS since he rode by in someone's car at PPUSA and yelled at me from the car window. :lol:

As for Matt Johnsen, I think of him as "that guy who didn't enjoy Dead Can Dance at Radio City fuckin' Music Hall as much as I did"........although if his seats were as far back as ours, I could certainly understand. Christ, that place is HUGE. :)

I think the main thing that bothered me was the first line....I was talking to a guy from Pharoh. Name Dropping!!!!!

going into discussions on many bands that have thier own threads already....

we discuss NWOBHM here lots on various threads. We had a big Riot discussion a few months back and BG is discussed here daily. To me it just seems like a guy wanted to drop a name.

For crying-out-loud, if you don't like someone's thread then hit the back button on your browser and move on to the next one, but shut the "F" up because I would be surprised if anyone actually gave a rat's ass about what "BobTheGreat" born in 1971 thinks.

It seems obvious the owner of the thread is simply mentioning Matt Johnsen's name to give the album picks credibility and possibly to help explain the level of influence he has. I thought the thread was interesting and apparently many other people do as well.

BTW: This is coming from a guy who posts a photo of himself with Erik Estrada on his MySpace page and that's way worse than name dropping. Glass houses dude...

l_f11aa09fab6e47d9496b5b65ba794800.jpg

simply mentioning Matt Johnsen's name to give the album picks credibility
l_f11aa09fab6e47d9496b5b65ba794800.jpg

Seriously, so being in a band gives an option credibility? I would go with the ability to name drop making someone "cool" before I accept ones creditability just because they are in a band.
except Matt's option, Matt Tribunal that is.:lol:

As for the picture well it's Officer Francis Llewellyn 'Ponch' Poncherello) that :headbang:

When will you realize that the 80's are dead. Nothing good in the 80's compares to anything put out in the past 10 years.
Nothing.

While Metallica and Forbidden were good in the day, they're nothing compared to bands that came after them. Blind Guardian (pre-suck era I must add), Onslaught. Opeth, etc...
Remember Dream Theater released I&W in the 90s. They couldn't have done that in the 80s as it would have sucked and probably sounded like that dreadful band Guifria (sic, I don't care, they suck anyways)

Please, save your money... it's just not worth it

What the fuck are people complaining about in this thread? Seriously. It's not like it went like this:

"So , myself and (personality) were snorting coke off of each other's backs, and after having an in-depth conversationa bout how awesome I am, he casually mentioned a few albums. But the main thing is here that I was doing coke off of his back. Do you have any dea how awesome I am? You plebians just can't grasp how totally rad the situation was! Bloody lumpenproletariat!"

When will you realize that the 80's are dead. Nothing good in the 80's compares to anything put out in the past 10 years.
Nothing.

While Metallica and Forbidden were good in the day, they're nothing compared to bands that came after them. Blind Guardian (pre-suck era I must add), Onslaught. Opeth, etc...
Remember Dream Theater released I&W in the 90s. They couldn't have done that in the 80s as it would have sucked and probably sounded like that dreadful band Guifria (sic, I don't care, they suck anyways)

MountainTroll.jpg

Nothing.

LMAO you're a moron. Late 80's/early 90's death metal kills the stuff being put out today. Even on labels like NWN and Blood Harvest. Same for black metal. There's plenty of good retrothrash bands but they all pale in comparison to Sodom.

I bet you like Sonic Syndicate.

For crying-out-loud, if you don't like someone's thread then hit the back button on your browser and move on to the next one, but shut the "F" up because I would be surprised if anyone actually gave a rat's ass about what "BobTheGreat" born in 1971 thinks.

It seems obvious the owner of the thread is simply mentioning Matt Johnsen's name to give the album picks credibility and possibly to help explain the level of influence he has. I thought the thread was interesting and apparently many other people do as well.

BTW: This is coming from a guy who posts a photo of himself with Erik Estrada on his MySpace page and that's way worse than name dropping. Glass houses dude...
[/IMG]

how is having a picture with someone the same thing? It isnt like I am posting here on the forum or talking about it before I start a thread. It is just a goofy picture that is on my old myspace with a very funny backstory behind it. So how is that worse than name dropping?

On a side note to anyone who likes Angel Witch. Pick up TYTAN - Rough Justice. It has one of the Angel Witch guys and is great NWOBHM. Lots of great songs on it.

how is having a picture with someone the same thing? It isnt like I am posting here on the forum or talking about it before I start a thread. It is just a goofy picture that is on my old myspace with a very funny backstory behind it. So how is that worse than name dropping?

On a side note to anyone who likes Angel Witch. Pick up TYTAN - Rough Justice. It has one of the Angel Witch guys and is great NWOBHM. Lots of great songs on it.

Tytan also featured Kal Swan, who went on to join Lion and Bad Moon Rising. Rough Justice is well worth hearing.