New March Hare song (vote which singer you like)

Vote which version you like better

• Lost at Sea (Matt Jones)

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • Lost at Sea (Jake Fritz)

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters
Matt Jones reworked his version and I think he did a great job on picking up the pace in the bridge section and the ending. Take a listen!

Click here

Yeah I also don't really like the added "speaker phone" vocals in the bridge section.
What's going on at the ending?...I get the impression that someone is screaming in the background??:zombie:...I think it was better before.
For the ending I would suggest a little variation on the melody in each repeat.
Also, I'm assuming there are going to be vocal harmonies right?

I wanted to ask something off topic... is there any particular reason there are no guitar solos on your songs? Not that I'm complaining, just curious...

Another vote for Jake. The inital thing that did it for me was the first minute of music. That's really the most important spot to capture a listener - and Jake's version really held my attention stronger. Also, it seemed his part actually had more vocals going on there versus Matt's.

I do agree the mix on Matt's voice is better, but that's not really anything about the performance. Both are excellent, but Jake gives it a little more edge that I think really echoes the energy of the song more purely.

While I think that the overall performance on take 2 is better. I don't like the screams at the end. I sound like that knob, Chester from Linkin Park. I'm also not totally sold on the "counter" vocals on the bridge. And one more thing. I would like to hear the spoken word part on the end come in sooner...Got it, MFK?

I think that:

This is a case where you become "close" to a song and more desensitized to it.. and begin to make decisions that could negatively impact the song. The question/answer deal on the bridge seems disjointed and messes with the flow of the song.

The screaming bit at the end is a really cool idea ... However, in my opinion, there should be a couple "I'm dying for you"'s before the scream kicks in. Its a good hook in the song and its good for someone to hear that by itself. Same goes in my opinon for the harmony on it that's there now.. let the "i'm dying for you" idea develop a bit.. By itself, then maybe harmony.. then maybe harmony and scream.

Also, the scream itself comes off as humorous to me.. like someone jumping from a building, or Sam Kinison. I think if your dying for someone, it might sound a bit more like you've been lit on fire or something.

Agreed. I think the scream would sound better if it were lower-pitched and in key with the song (i.e. the screams in the latest mix of "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince").

While I think that the overall performance on take 2 is better. I don't like the screams at the end. I sound like that knob, Chester from Linkin Park. I'm also not totally sold on the "counter" vocals on the bridge. And one more thing. I would like to hear the spoken word part on the end come in sooner...Got it, MFK?

Agreed again!

Oh yeah. A version of Wake Darker Skies will be comin at you very very shortly.

Nice! Can't wait!

Wow!, i really like the V2 vocal performance. I think that the new counter vocals in the bridge sound fantastic, they really bring in a lot more life and create a good climax, and the harmony's on the outro are silky smooth

As for the screams.... the idea is great and possibly should be kept, but maybe not introduced so early. Atm they sound very obnoxious and out of place. The screams seem to start of a little sharp of A# which sounds kind of weird. I think they would probably sound a little better if the lower G was screamed, it'd be worth a shot anyway.

also, nice vocal solo at the end :heh:.

Wow!, i really like the V2 vocal performance. I think that the new counter vocals in the bridge sound fantastic, they really bring in a lot more life and create a good climax, and the harmony's on the outro are silky smooth

As for the screams.... the idea is great and possibly should be kept, but maybe not introduced so early. Atm they sound very obnoxious and out of place. The screams seem to start of a little sharp of A# which sounds kind of weird. I think they would probably sound a little better if the lower G was screamed, it'd be worth a shot anyway.

also, nice vocal solo at the end :heh:.

Ah yes the mighty Carpenters schtick. I am truly a fan.....Anyway. Thank you for your precise intput, Spew. Keys and all. yeah the screams are so intrusive to the rest of the song. It would be cool to hear them mixed under a bit. maybe I could go back and hit some G, then maybe I could hit those notes you told me to.

Wow, I guess I need to go back to the drawing board. Perhaps I have listened to the song too many times. I can agree on one thing, the screams at the end need to go. I was trying to be clever and throw those in, but that scream was actually a take that I just cut and pasted over and over again. I really, really, really like the speakerphone counter during the bridge though. I think it flows very well and makes that song complete, at least for me. But when so many people complain about it, including band members, something must be wrong.

Someone asked earlier why there are no solos on out music. When I was 16, my main goal was to shred my ass off, and I love music that showcases people's soloing talents. However, I am not a fan of soloing in this style of music. A lot of my instrumentals have some high wandering guitar in them to act as filler until the vocals are recorded but that's as far as I want to go. Our style used to be a hell of a lot more metal than it is now and soloing would have worked over that stuff. One thing I love about Devin Townsend is that he does not utilize the solo very often. Ocean Machine is probably my top 1 or 2 albums right now. Incredible stuff. The songs speak for themselves and when DT does throw the occasional solo, its usually reserved and TASTEFUL!

Really???? Matt's new version really does it for me. I think he did a fantastic job.

Either one is great...

In fact, I originally voted for Jake, but Matt's version has been stuck in my head since yesterday. I love it.

As far as solos go. I agree with Splatt. However you have such wonderful tone and phrasing. It would be a damn shame if you didn't bust out some leads here and there. It wouldn't kill you. Think about the solo on Dev's Deadhead. That fucker rules!!!

damn I can't decide. Both are really good. I really like this song. You should make a version with both singers!

Yeah, I agree with Kass about the middle part. Seems like the singer is trying to fit too many syllables in there. I have one suggestion to fix it...there are two words that sound "bad" to my ears..."...everything" and "...compromised".
I think they could both sound better with different time measures. For example instead of singing : "coooom-promised" it should be: "com-pro-mised". I hope I'm expaining it correctly. Same thing with "anything". I think it would sound a lot better this way.

The ending is far better without the scream. I still think though that there should be a little variation in the melody each time he sings "I'm dying for you". Also maybe you should try to raise the volume level of the spoken part in the end cause it doesn't cut through the mix well. I think it works much better in the section before the ending kicks in.