Check out a new song with vox

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
We finished the vox for this song and would like some feedback, but please only give feedback on the song, not the mix.

The mix is a bad mp3 copy and I have not technically mixed the vocals with all the snazzy effect that I like to use. I just loaded a Gearbox vox preset and rest is history. The end part where Matty is belting it out may need some slight pitch correction. This song is a little more rock style, but we dig it so far. Thoughts?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=404561&songID=7333140

I recorded the drums in a basement with a 7 foot ceiling into a Delta 1010 interface. The overhead mics were practically touching the cymbals. Guitars, bass and vocals were all done through a POD and Gearbox.

Mix is pretty amazing, your guitars are :OMG:

BUT I must say that I'm not liking the vocals.. I don't think his voice is suited for this, and he's sounded MUCH better in your other stuff. He sounds REALLY forced at the end, when he's belting. Get him to relax a bit, and his pitch will improve. If you need some added grit or whatever, use some distortion (ie. scream a TINY bit, or put some distortion processing on him) but he sounds pretty meh to be honest.

This song is a little more mainstream than your others but I love it. The only thing here is obviously the vox have to sit in the mix. I dont really think its the singer just the post processing needed for it to sit inside the mix. And can you share the guitar chain (pickups) and patches for this more modern rock sound!!!

ps.... did you switch something on the vox chain or still the same...wondering why the vox are sitting more outside on this mix

Mix is pretty amazing, your guitars are :OMG:

BUT I must say that I'm not liking the vocals.. I don't think his voice is suited for this, and he's sounded MUCH better in your other stuff. He sounds REALLY forced at the end, when he's belting. Get him to relax a bit, and his pitch will improve. If you need some added grit or whatever, use some distortion (ie. scream a TINY bit, or put some distortion processing on him) but he sounds pretty meh to be honest.

I think it will sound better when I actually mix the vocals. Unfortunately, we won't be able to do another take because we only get to work on this stuff together 2 or 3 times a year. The rest of the time its all done over the net since we live in different cities now.

This song is a little more mainstream than your others but I love it. The only thing here is obviously the vox have to sit in the mix. I dont really think its the singer just the post processing needed for it to sit inside the mix. And can you share the guitar chain (pickups) and patches for this more modern rock sound!!!

ps.... did you switch something on the vox chain or still the same...wondering why the vox are sitting more outside on this mix

Yeah, this song is much more mainstream but I seem to like it a lot.

The reason why the vox chain sounds different is because it is. I have not even mixed it yet, I just used a stock gearbox vocal preset to add some compression. I guarantee you that the mixed version will be much more in the pocket.

As for the guitars, its the same Gearbox patch and curve I've used on most my stuff. Guitar was an ESP with a Dimarzio Super Distortion. Awesome pickup and guitar.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the vox are mixed on top of a mastered mp3. Matty used the mp3 off my soundclick page to record these vox. The vox are peaking much higher than the music mix and I just slapped a limiter on the master bus. That's probably the biggest reason why the vox are poking out so much.

I think it all works perfectly, I really dig it.

By the way, is it true that Dr. Pepper is giving a free can of soda to everyone if your cd is finally released in 2009?

Oh no wait, that was Axl. ;)

Don't keep us waiting too much longer, I'll be too old to hear it! Can't wait for the full disc to spin!

i definitely loved this song for a while now, but im not digging the vocals here. Im sure the better mix and master will help though.
cheers