Is this mix album ready?

Hey, how are you getting your ambient guitar sounds? Ebow? Strumming with heavy verb & delay? Crazy compression for sustain? Some combination of the above? :p Sounds awesome, whatever you're doing. Teach me the ways of the samurai.

I love this song, I've listened to it like 5 times. The mastered version is the best, (not the third one with punchier drums). The only thing I don't like is the guitars which sound a little digital, too much treble or something. Maybe you should let someone here on the forum reamp them. I think the Rammstein guitar sound from Rosenrot, would fit like a glove. That would be ENGL/Mesa. :headbang:

The last one you mastered is all that I could recommend. I would love to get that snare sound from a real snare even...

these songs man are on some seriously heavy rotation on my iTunes. I'm actually gonna burn a metal mix on CD with this song; I wanna hear it through my car speakers :D

Splat i thought you used that VST dynamics saturator that comes with cubase/Nuendo
so thats all you use in your vox chain De-esser > Waves Q10 > Wave C1 comp >?
what stereo simulator effect?

what do you mean you did it in a separate project file?

And also what mic+preamp was used?

Sometimes I use that VST saturation on vox, sometimes I do not. I really depends on how much drive I need to add to the sound.

I did the vox in a separate project file because I had no CPU left after processing drums, bass guitar and keyboards! I just exported the vox mixdown and imported it into the original project file.

The mix used was an $89 Marshall electronics condenser mic, but I can't remember which one. Its nothing special. The preamp was an ART MPA Pro tube pre.

I often hear music with great production on this forum, where I don't like the actual songs at all. This is not one of those songs. Excellent song writting and vocals. I want this cd.

Now that the drums have been tweaked. They seem to overtake the attack of the guitars a bit. The vocals are absolutely perfect. Not too produced. Just enough to catch Jake's vibe. Are we ever gonna be satisfied, MFK?..............................I would guess not. The perfect guitar tone for this record seems to be our Unicorn.

Sounds good so far! ;) Definately some Katatonia going there. Good song!

About the snare sound, I don't know if you tried it, but did you check the phase/polarity of the OHs to the rest of drums? Sometimes flipping the OHs gives back the bottom end to the snare! Or if it messes with everything else, just flip the snare. Maybe you know all of this already..?

One other thing is, are the guitars on full all the time? To me it sounds like they're blasting away all the time which in turn robs the choruses of it's full power. Have you tried to bring the guitars down a few (or more) dBs on the verses? Maybe even pan them in a bit, use a different sound or less guitars (if you have more than 2 tracks of rhythms). Now it seems that the choruses don't get bigger, they're just a different part of the song, if you follow?

What about all that extra synth/fx sounds floating in the background? It seems like they're all the the time hanging there. While they do sound great, it does get a little .. er.. busy and hectic. Maybe you were going that way with this? Mute-button can be your friend!

Shit, it seems like I'm only complaining! Sorry about that, but when you hear something good, you want to give it your best! :headbang:

Inner dynamics of the song is what I'm aiming here!

Sounds good so far! ;) Definately some Katatonia going there. Good song!

About the snare sound, I don't know if you tried it, but did you check the phase/polarity of the OHs to the rest of drums? Sometimes flipping the OHs gives back the bottom end to the snare! Or if it messes with everything else, just flip the snare. Maybe you know all of this already..?

One other thing is, are the guitars on full all the time? To me it sounds like they're blasting away all the time which in turn robs the choruses of it's full power. Have you tried to bring the guitars down a few (or more) dBs on the verses? Maybe even pan them in a bit, use a different sound or less guitars (if you have more than 2 tracks of rhythms). Now it seems that the choruses don't get bigger, they're just a different part of the song, if you follow?

What about all that extra synth/fx sounds floating in the background? It seems like they're all the the time hanging there. While they do sound great, it does get a little .. er.. busy and hectic. Maybe you were going that way with this? Mute-button can be your friend!

Shit, it seems like I'm only complaining! Sorry about that, but when you hear something good, you want to give it your best! :headbang:

Inner dynamics of the song is what I'm aiming here!

Good suggestions. I think I will try taming the guitars during the verses with some volume automation. The more I listen, I do think there's too much going on with the background effects and its getting cluttered. Thanks!

Now that the drums have been tweaked. They seem to overtake the attack of the guitars a bit. The vocals are absolutely perfect. Not too produced. Just enough to catch Jake's vibe. Are we ever gonna be satisfied, MFK?..............................I would guess not. The perfect guitar tone for this record seems to be our Unicorn.

I'll never be completely satisfied. I just need to be MORE satisfied, and I'm not there yet. I tweaked some more stuff last night from guitars to drums and I think I'm making progress. I'm not going to post the results until I have more time to really listen to it on real monitors. I've been mixing on headphones now that I have a little tike.

This mildly reminds me of the band Submersed in their song "Hollow."

I like your song a lot more though...it just has some amazing parts. One thing that I would agree with though is how obvious that the chorus is a chorus. Just listening to the Submersed song, they drop down and then come back in again. I'm not saying that you should do that, but it may help to do something to make it more obvious.

Man, I'm having a hard time NOT listening to your song. Please put out a CD right now. I showed my friend and he told me he'd buy it in a heartbeat as well.

Somewhat off topic...any other bands that have a sound like this? I love this style of music, but I can't find any bands like it.

Good tunage! Nice ambient parts, is that a vocoder doing vocal counterpoints I hear in there too?
I can hear the points that people are making. I'd really have to listen alot more and pick this apart.

My question is simple if you don't mind sharing some info..you're using L6 with Gearbox.
I'm gonna stab at the models used...am I hearing right if I place it as Diety's Son? or Mississippi Crim?, possibly Bogner?
Are you just using Gearbox's models and cabs, mic & effect choices for the guitars or have you put your L6 models thru another chain?

Good tunage! Nice ambient parts, is that a vocoder doing vocal counterpoints I hear in there too?
I can hear the points that people are making. I'd really have to listen alot more and pick this apart.

My question is simple if you don't mind sharing some info..you're using L6 with Gearbox.
I'm gonna stab at the models used...am I hearing right if I place it as Diety's Son? or Mississippi Crim?, possibly Bogner?
Are you just using Gearbox's models and cabs, mic & effect choices for the guitars or have you put your L6 models thru another chain?

Thanks! Nope, I used the Diamondplate sim with the Treadplate can and the 67 mic. That's pretty much the only model I can stand to play through. I also used the stomp box EQ Boost. I cut the lows and boost the mids on it. Sometimes I use a real tubescreamer instead of the simulated stomp box. I also use Curve EQ to shape the sound drastically.

hey, cool thanks for the reply.. I have not really used the treadplate model..I'll have to fool with it a bit.
I find I have to use a boost and re-eq quite a bit with most L6 amp sims as well.