Check out this new mix

I think that the atmosphere in the song is really, really good. The snare on v.1.2 sounds a bit...trigged IMHO. I don't know, but it's popping out more because every reply mentioned "the snare" so...

The only thing I miss, is some nerve in the main vocals. It's not bad, but he could put some more power to it in some places. IMHO, he sounds a bit tired, while the music is big and powerful. I hope I'm getting my point through.

Thanks a lot!

I think that the atmosphere in the song is really, really good. The snare on v.1.2 sounds a bit...trigged IMHO. I don't know, but it's popping out more because every reply mentioned "the snare" so...

The only thing I miss, is some nerve in the main vocals. It's not bad, but he could put some more power to it in some places. IMHO, he sounds a bit tired, while the music is big and powerful. I hope I'm getting my point through.

Thanks a lot! Yeah, when the snare gets louder it sounds more fake. I really have a lot of respect for engineers that can get a really powerful natural drum sound without using triggers. I guess it would help if I were mixing real drums and not DFHS.

Regarding the vocals, well......unfortunately there's absolutely no chance of doing more vocals due to time limitations. If we're lucky enough to find time to finish vocals on a song, we consider ourselves very, very lucky.

I do understand what you're saying and believe me, I value the feedback! It could be better, but I'm pretty happy with the vox on this one.

I much prefer 1.2. Its a little more bassy (guitars can boom out a bit but I don't mind it), and the snare sounds much better imo. The new snare sounds small and boxy.

I would go back to 1.2, raise the vocals a touch. And try and work on the autotuning in the 'chorus' (the centre vocals), unless its the effect you want.. its really obvious.

Cymbals sound great and very realistic. The fake sound of the OH's is exactly, what's bugging me lately about S2.0 :(
Maybe I should get a copy of DFHS 1, too.

Love the song, too

BTW: Check the last link in the first post, you accidentaly copied a http:/ right behind it, so it basically leads to nowhere :D

I much prefer 1.2. Its a little more bassy (guitars can boom out a bit but I don't mind it), and the snare sounds much better imo. The new snare sounds small and boxy.

Check 1.3 again. It should sound better now.

Cymbals sound great and very realistic. The fake sound of the OH's is exactly, what's bugging me lately about S2.0 :(
Maybe I should get a copy of DFHS 1, too.

Love the song, too

BTW: Check the last link in the first post, you accidentaly copied a http:/ right behind it, so it basically leads to nowhere :D

Thanks for the heads up on the broken link! Yeah, I love the crashes in 1.0. The 2.0 crashes just don't translate well at all to beats that I have already created. I think they work out okay on new stuff that I program but its not as good as 1.0 with exception for the hi-hats possibly.

I think the vox need to be a little louder in the mix. Otherwise, the 4th mix is perfect.

sweet dude! I also think the vocals need to be louder in various places, I cant hear what you are saying, and this strikes me as a lyric driven song...pretty cool as is...

I didn't hear any of the previous versions but the snare on the final version is the best part of the mix in my opinion. Actually drums pretty much are fantastic all around. Did you utilize any additional samples aside from dfhs? I know in the past you mixed a few slate ambience samples and they sounded glorious in your mixes. I'm just really curious about the crack you're getting, it's fantastic dude. Great mix. Great song too. That always helps a mix sound good, when the song is good... :p

sweet dude! I also think the vocals need to be louder in various places, I cant hear what you are saying, and this strikes me as a lyric driven song...pretty cool as is...

Thanks for the feedback!

I didn't hear any of the previous versions but the snare on the final version is the best part of the mix in my opinion. Actually drums pretty much are fantastic all around. Did you utilize any additional samples aside from dfhs? I know in the past you mixed a few slate ambience samples and they sounded glorious in your mixes. I'm just really curious about the crack you're getting, it's fantastic dude. Great mix. Great song too. That always helps a mix sound good, when the song is good... :p

Thanks! The kick is triggered with Slate's kick 10Z1 and I did use just a touch of Slate's ambient snare 5Z4, but most of the verb you're hearing is from a bussed reverb off the snare. I'm really trying to mix drums (especially the snare) without 'cheating' as it were, but we all know how that goes. I don't think the whole triggered snare sound works at all for this type of music.

To answer you question about the snap of the snare, I boosted snare with 1.4Q at 150HZ, 2.5k, and 8k. Then into a compressor with 5:1 ratio, 30ms attack, 1ms release, and anywhere from 6-12dbs gain reduction depending on the hit. I usually clip the shit out of my snares, but I refrained this time. However, the drum bus is getting saturated pretty hard with Cubase's VST soft clip which is a plugin I cannot live without. From there, the entire drum bus is treated with parallel compression with the following settings: .1ms attack, 100ms release, 4:1 ratio and at least 12dbs of reduction on snare/kick hits. That signal is blended about 60-40 with the original drum bus.

Jeebuss Krice!!!! Love your stuff and this mix is incredible, IMO. It's THE sound I'm going for in my music. I'd love for you to mix my band's album.

I'm really trying to mix drums (especially the snare) without 'cheating' as it were, but we all know how that goes. I don't think the whole triggered snare sound works at all for this type of music.

I went back and listened to the tracks off your soundclick page and I really prefer this last mix to the other ones. If you're doing less, then less is more from what I'm hearing. Thanks for shedding the light on the snare as well!