Is this mix album ready?

I used to always go to your soundclick page and show people this song. I think its a hit man. Anyway i think the guitars sound great personally and most people would never tell those are line 6. I do have to agree on the snare lacking a bit of body or meat but thats my only gripe and the mix sounds professional to me.

Can you post what you are using for your final sound?

Guitars - Line 6?

Bass- ?

Drums - Dfhs with Slate?

And last what is your vocal chain once you hit the box?

First of all, thanks for everyone's feedback and comments!

I think its pretty universal from what I've read that the drums can be redone. I actually used Addictive Drums with no additional samples. I have another version with a new DFHS/Slate setup that people may like a lot more. I'll remix and repost in a bit.

Guitars were my Ibanez S through Gearbox setup and the bass was a Fender P bass with Gearbox and the Ampeg SVT VST.

For the vox chain, I did it in a separate project file, but I usually do this...
De-esser > Waves Q10 > Wave C1 comp > then bussed to a stereo group that has a stereo simulator effect. For reverb and delay, I use Gearbox. It has some great delays!

Hmm, I really love the music dude, and the mix sounds great (though I agree about the snare needing some more body, all I get is snap) - also, I really feel the guitars are lacking, more than just thinness, but an overall digi-itis (I assume you used gearbox) - if you don't own any good guitar gear anymore, I'd really recommend sending the DI tracks out for reamping.

Yes, I like the tone I'm getting, but it does sound harsh. I'm like 87% satisfied with the tone. The hard part is, I have tried reamping but while the tones sound great by themselves, I can't get it to fit into the mix at all. It seems like the entire mix has to be made around each different guitar sound, which is how I did this one.

I just updated the mix and remastered the song. Its sounding a lot deeper and full and the drums sound better.

Splat i thought you used that VST dynamics saturator that comes with cubase/Nuendo
so thats all you use in your vox chain De-esser > Waves Q10 > Wave C1 comp >?
what stereo simulator effect?

what do you mean you did it in a separate project file?

And also what mic+preamp was used?

Sounds really good though dude.....i love your vocal production....spot on

For the vox chain, I did it in a separate project file, but I usually do this...
De-esser > Waves Q10 > Wave C1 comp > then bussed to a stereo group that has a stereo simulator effect. For reverb and delay, I use Gearbox. It has some great delays!

I just updated the mix and remastered the song. Its sounding a lot deeper and full and the drums sound better.

Snare sounds fuller, but it keeps getting lost under the cymbals, especially during the verses. It was more prominent in the original mix. I actually prefer the old version 4 you did. The snare was really nice on that, punched through all the time, and I also feel that mix in general had more balls to it.

Snare sounds fuller, but it keeps getting lost under the cymbals, especially during the verses. It was more prominent in the original mix. I actually prefer the old version 4 you did. The snare was really nice on that, punched through all the time, and I also feel that mix in general had more balls to it.

Damn! I was afraid someone would say that. I noticed it too upon a listen this morning. Back to the drawing board. Does anyone else ever feel that they'll never get it perfect when they mix stuff?!

Before I start tearing the mix apart, do you guys think that the problems are narrowed down to the drums? Are the guitars and bass good to go? I know a real amp would be better, but its not gonna happen :-(

Damn! I was afraid someone would say that. I noticed it too upon a listen this morning. Back to the drawing board. Does anyone else ever feel that they'll never get it perfect when they mix stuff?!

Before I start tearing the mix apart, do you guys think that the problems are narrowed down to the drums? Are the guitars and bass good to go? I know a real amp would be better, but its not gonna happen :-(

Lol, it's cool dude. You can't be an audio engineer if you're a perfectionist. I've had so many people tell me that, sometimes you just have to leave it. It's the same problem I have with shaving, you keep noticing things a little longer in places, and you keep trimming bits, and eventually you end up completely shaven because you went too far (strange analogy I know, but I've just had a shave, so it was fresh in my mind).

As far as the bass and guitar, I think maybe a little more girth would be good. I think this mix needs more of a big fat rock mix, and maybe less of a polished metal mix. The drums need a little more balls as well.

Not to sound like i'm criticizing the hell outta your mix, it's still a hell of a lot better than I could ever do. I just think it needs tweaking somewhat, and maybe left a little more raw.

Does anyone else ever feel that they'll never get it perfect when they mix stuff?!

"Forget about perfection, you will never find it"
(S.Dali)

My thoughts lately circled about the relation of how much music one has to offer and how much time should be spent on a single piece of work.

That snare still doesn't cut through that well most of the time. Toms seem a little uneven like they're punching through more in places than in others. Guitars definitely sound better though. I dunno man, I guess I'm being overly picky. Again I liked the drums more on some of your older stuff. Can someone else chime in here and say what they think of the drums, maybe my ears are fucked up and I'm hearing shit that isn't really there? :erk:

That snare still doesn't cut through that well most of the time. Toms seem a little uneven like they're punching through more in places than in others. Guitars definitely sound better though. I dunno man, I guess I'm being overly picky. Again I liked the drums more on some of your older stuff. Can someone else chime in here and say what they think of the drums, maybe my ears are fucked up and I'm hearing shit that isn't really there? :erk:

I definitely understand where you're coming from. The drums on my older stuff poke out very strong, but the downside is that they sound more fake to me. I'm kind of trying to disguise them a bit. I'll try and poke the snare out a tad more. You're right about the toms being inconsistent too. I need to adjust some velocities to fix that. What a pain in the ass!

hmm.. i prefer the first mix you posted to the new one..

the new one sounds really deep, but seems dead tinny :S

as i said before, this song is fucking killer and i can't stop listening to it.. most of your hits(people visiting your page) are most likely from me! hahaha.

*edit*

didn't see mix3.. my bad!

i like Mix 3 alot, it deffs has a big sound too it, but i agree with the other guy about the drums.

"Forget about perfection, you will never find it"
(S.Dali)

My thoughts lately circled about the relation of how much music one has to offer and how much time should be spent on a single piece of work.

I'm so like 100% in agreeance with these quotes.

Lovin' the mixes Splat!