New song with vocals - Gearbox - DFHS 1.0/2.0 - Slate

I like everything in this song except the guitar, bass, drums, and vocals. The clik track sounds really good

Hey Splatt, checked it out along with your other tracks,

very impressed!!! the production is top quality mate indeed!!

Do you record your Gtr tracks dry then apply Gearbox??

Im still toying with the idea of doing this but i like to track with the sound and no latency.

I monitor through the POD so I don't deal with latency at all. Thanks for the comments!

I monitor through the POD so I don't deal with latency at all. Thanks for the comments!

Couldnt log in at work - back home now .....ok questions!!!!

First of all, you are probably at a stage right now where you are about 80% happy with your mixes - and I really think you don't realize just how pro they actually sound (prob cause youre too close to them personally)

I have just spent 4 years mixing m own electronic music which has been fun and im really confident and happy mixing that style ,but its just not as expressive as Pummeling my Axe!!

Just recently been writing my own Guitar based tracks (instrumentals) all in a combo of various heavy styles - and the thing I've noticed is just HOW different it is mixing Guitar Based Music.

You really acheive a Polished (sorry ran out of adjectives) sound, in the true sense of the word -
It's not just the Slate samples - its your ears!!!!

I mix in Cubase SX (which is very similar to Nuendo) and use POD X3 live direct into my MBox - have Curve EQ which is Great - and use mostly the Cubase plugins and a few freebies.

So far i've got to this stage >> Latest track

Probably a bit over the top Level wise but I finished it late and ears were tired!!

Im quite happy with it -
But would like to know any tips for Curve EQ -
or using impulses with the POD -
How do you treat Drums for example??
How do you deal with Kick and Bass Gtr?? (usually sidechain them in electronic music myself)

ok enough waffle,
Keep up the great work man!!

splat! your mixes are awesome !
very very nice!!!

i have not once heard such great pod xt tones!
:worship:

Couldnt log in at work - back home now .....ok questions!!!!

First of all, you are probably at a stage right now where you are about 80% happy with your mixes - and I really think you don't realize just how pro they actually sound (prob cause youre too close to them personally)

I have just spent 4 years mixing m own electronic music which has been fun and im really confident and happy mixing that style ,but its just not as expressive as Pummeling my Axe!!

Just recently been writing my own Guitar based tracks (instrumentals) all in a combo of various heavy styles - and the thing I've noticed is just HOW different it is mixing Guitar Based Music.

You really acheive a Polished (sorry ran out of adjectives) sound, in the true sense of the word -
It's not just the Slate samples - its your ears!!!!

I mix in Cubase SX (which is very similar to Nuendo) and use POD X3 live direct into my MBox - have Curve EQ which is Great - and use mostly the Cubase plugins and a few freebies.

So far i've got to this stage >> Latest track

Probably a bit over the top Level wise but I finished it late and ears were tired!!

Im quite happy with it -
But would like to know any tips for Curve EQ -
or using impulses with the POD -
How do you treat Drums for example??
How do you deal with Kick and Bass Gtr?? (usually sidechain them in electronic music myself)

ok enough waffle,
Keep up the great work man!!

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah I guess I'm about 80-90% satisfied with my mixes, but now I've come to the point where that's good enough for me. I'd rather just get this stuff done so I can start working on NEW material rather than piddling around with the old stuff.

As far as tips go for Curve EQ, just try and extract some clips of your favorite guitar sounds off of a CD where the guitars are playing solo. THe one I use is actually a captured spectrum from a recording of my old 5150.

To answer your other question about bass/kick sidechaining, sometimes I do, most often I do not. I do not do any sidechaining on any of those most recent songs in my soundclick player.

I use the Studio Tone model with the Session 4x10 cab. I also use the bass overdrive stomp, but its not adding any distortion at all, just a lot more midrange tone to the bass. About your question, the parallel compressor is doing a lot to even out the average volume of the bass, and the limiter is working overtime on those stray transients, but the limiter is also acting as a general gain reduction tool, too. I just make sure I keep the release anywhere from 50ms to 200ms to keep it nice and smooth. The slower release really helps retain clarity.

Thanks!

I'm a little confused in that you're adding midrange to the main bass signal via the stomp box. You don't commonly lowpass the main bass at like 400hz and then use the distorted bass for the midrange?

I'm still amazed that you use no gain-reduction other than a limiter in serial! Good stuff.