New song idea - not done

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
Here's a little track we're putting together. It started out as a song that only had acoustic guitars and vox, but I think I want to develop this into a full song with many components, and then reaching a climax at the end. Its nowhere near that point now but I wanted to see if you guys liked the vibe of what's going on so far. The song just cuts off but I plan I making it a lot longer.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=404561&songID=7539197

Hi Splat,

I liked it , sounds sparse but I dont think it needs that much in the way of layering Gtr's or whatnot.

I think it would sound great if you come up with a Harmonised Gtr part - sustaining on certain strong notes - before you kick in to heavy territory (that is if you decide to of course)

Or maybe some well arranged unison bends on the G and B strings - again complimenting the Chords/vox melody

If you do kick in with the Heavy part - perhaps screw around with the origina chord progression a little - so you still have that original connection to the verses but with maybe a few Odd chords thrown in to keep the ear interested.

Just a few ideas!!

Vocals sound awesome!! Nice and eeire. Like the song a lot! If you are going for a radio friendly song this is it :)

I do love the room sound on your drums as always..but I think you could beef them up a little bit especially the snare..but that might just be preference.

The song itself is awesome and see it being listened to on the radio..i do agree strings would make this killer as well. And going into a big climax is exactly what this song needs...great work Matt

Thanks guys. The song is sparse, but that will definitely be changed. I'm going to add a whole bunch of crap to it. I just did a little guitar solo on the end part, but it needs to be a lot longer. I want to use that solo as a bridge before it goes into the heavy stuff.

I do love the room sound on your drums as always..but I think you could beef them up a little bit especially the snare..but that might just be preference.

Thanks man! I kind of like the drums the way they are but they could probably use some more punch. Its actually just straight out of the box DFHS 2.0 with a group eq boost at 100HZ and 10k. Then parallel compressed and Cubase's stock reverb over the whole kit.

Sounds great as always. A bit sparse maybe but that's not necessarily bad. The main question however is when are you guys going to make that album we've all been waiting for :). I've been listening to your stuff ever since I first came across this board and I think you've written some of the nicest songs I've heard in the last couple of years and I'm normally not really into the kind of music you're doing, so that says a lot.

Haha, this sounds great Matt, i lol because im just itching for it have a shitload of synths on it that build up towards the end, but im sure you will have something great coming for it..
That being said, it sounds pretty huge, like a big space.. love how this is mixed and how open it sounds so far!

sounds good, my only qualm is the snare. It kinda makes me wince every time it hits. It sounds alittle harsh. You could either compress it with a quick attack or attenuated some of the highs. It could also use some body. I also think you could rock some massive bass frequency on this song and it would work well.

totally love the reverb / ambience on the drums.

vocals could be a little louder / closer , also the lead guitar could come up a little.

:Smokin: let me say, that the production and overall sound of this is very 3d,
i don't hear a computer in there or someone sitting in front of a computer ;-)
which is very very unique nowadays. nice. excited how this song will develope!

I think you've written some of the nicest songs I've heard in the last couple of years and I'm normally not really into the kind of music you're doing
Hey thanks! That means a lot.

Haha, this sounds great Matt, i lol because im just itching for it have a shitload of synths on it that build up towards the end, but im sure you will have something great coming for it..
That being said, it sounds pretty huge, like a big space.. love how this is mixed and how open it sounds so far!
Thanks Bob! Yeah, I've got some ideas, but I'm not as good with the synth stuff as you are!

sounds good, my only qualm is the snare. It kinda makes me wince every time it hits. It sounds alittle harsh. You could either compress it with a quick attack or attenuated some of the highs. It could also use some body. I also think you could rock some massive bass frequency on this song and it would work well.
Thanks for the input. I'll try to address these things.

totally love the reverb / ambience on the drums.
vocals could be a little louder / closer , also the lead guitar could come up a little.
:Smokin: let me say, that the production and overall sound of this is very 3d,
i don't hear a computer in there or someone sitting in front of a computer ;-)
which is very very unique nowadays. nice. excited how this song will develope!

Thank you!

What guitar was that on the solo Matt? Sounds like you've definitely hit eric johnson tone territory there.
Thanks Kev, its my Ibanez S and I'm using the neck pickup ( Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell) into the PODX3 (1965 Double Verb amp driven by the Rat stomp model).