Would you let bad production get in the way of an otherwise good album?

It really depends on the album... There are times where even a well produced album can have sub-standard production to my ears & there are times when I can really get into an album with shit production.

The thing with Black Metal is that a good bit of the tr00 stuff has terrible production. I enjoy the a lot of BM bands, but when bands like this use same songwriting concepts & recording techniques many of those bands start to sound too similar. To me it's well suited as back ground music when the stuff is like how I described. There are of course BM bands that stand out amongst the pack...

The thing that kind of gets on my nerves is that I've never heard anyone call a Black Metal band generic... I fucking wonder why that it??? :err: I think tons of Black Metal bands are generic in the traditional sense.

The thing that kind of gets on my nerves is that I've never heard anyone call a Black Metal band generic... I fucking wonder why that it???

because if you do, the Satanic hordes will slaughter you for smiting the name of unholy black metal

Well there are a few albums, such as Circle Of Ourborus's Shores that is either a really crappy band/album, or the production is two horrendous. If shitty production gets in the way of music, it quite frankly pisses me off.

I enjoy albums with 'bad' production. Its overproduction I can't stand. I like my drums to sound organic and guitars not sterile and overly clean.

Go listen to both versions of Drink The Devil's Blood. The second wins by far. The ideal production is clear and allows each to breath but does not sound to clear and polished.

For once, I'm with Ohiogrinder. Imagine Dream Theater with Bathory level production. Then imagine Bathory with Dream Theater production. Actually, that would probably kick ass...nevermind.

Dream Theatre doesn't need bad production to suck. And if bathory had dream theatre production, it would be pretty lame.

Bad production bothers me, particularly because I like to carry around my favorite music on an mp3 player, and flipping the volume around constantly to try and make out faintly produced drumming or whatever is sort of irritating. this may be a contributing factor in my general dislike of black metal.

so, basically I'm the least kvlt metalhead ever.

oh, and on that note, dream theater are a great band : P

Being an enormous fan of black metal, bad production rarely hinders me from enjoying an album. Though I must say, I've put off buying the Satyricon/Enslaved split for a long time because I don't like the production on Yggdrasil.

yggdrasil is pretty good actually