Would you let bad production get in the way of an otherwise good album?

At The Gates The Red In The Sky Is Ours is a frustrating record because the songs are awsome but the production is crap.
:guh: Sounds pretty standard to me.

...And Justice For All is another good example, though I can't necessarily say the album would be good with different production. But as it stands it's horrible.
Love that production job. It seems like anytime a band tries something a little different production-wise people can't take it. Like Heretic, a big complaint with that album was "it doesn't sound exactly like every other death metal album!!!"

Krieg's Destruction Ritual
:guh: Another one I don't really see anything out of the ordinary with.

Ildjarn's Forest Poetry as well.
That album has great production, nice and chaotic yet everything comes through clearly with exaggerated percussion.

Are you people still accustomed to top 40 production values or something? I can see having issues with live recordings or demos (which is to be expected and taken in stride) but some of the stuff listed here is puzzling. These black metal albums are all way above demo quality, what more do you want?

Yeah I'm sure we're all accustomed to top 40 production jobs being on a metal forum. Sarcasm aside, stop being so condescending.

...And Justice For All is another good example, though I can't necessarily say the album would be good with different production. But as it stands it's horrible.

Love that production job. It seems like anytime a band tries something a little different production-wise people can't take it. Like Heretic, a big complaint with that album was "it doesn't sound exactly like every other death metal album!!!"

Maybe it's my car stereo. There is something about the bass quality that seems to buzz out my speakers.

On account of Krieg and Ildjarn: I suppose it's just my general distaste for low-fi BM. Of course all of those albums are prefectly listenable. Hell, I could just listen to ambient noise, if I wanted to; nothing's wrong with that. But I look for more: I need pick up a certain vibe from the music that will make it compelling. If the production is too obscure or if the music is just buried under oodles of distortion, I'll probably won't bother with the album beyond several listens.

I usually favor albums with a rich, organic and vibrant production, expansive soundscapes, music that you can immerse yourself into. Maybe I'm just missing the point with those records, but I prefer not to torment my ears any longer.

I think that's one of the best produced albums ever. Perfect for the album. Ride the Lightning had lower quality production by their standards.

I think that's one of the best produced albums ever. Perfect for the album. Ride the Lightning had lower quality production by their standards.

I agree that it was well produced, it was different from previous albums, although I preferred MOP as far as production. It does beat the shit out of anything Bob Rock did with them

Excellent example. I have always hated the production on that album and it has hindered me to an extent.

Elements and ...And Justice For All both suffer from horribly thin productions, although at least the bass guitar is audible on Elements. The bassiest thing on Justice is the rhythm guitars. It's ridiculous. Newstead must have wondered why they hired him when he heard the final mix. I would LOVE to hear Justice properly remixed, as there are some awesome songs on it. Oh, and of course so it sounds a bit more like a top 40 album... :guh:

Elements and ...And Justice For All both suffer from horribly thin productions, although at least the bass guitar is audible on Elements. The bassiest thing on Justice is the rhythm guitars. It's ridiculous. Newstead must have wondered why they hired him when he heard the final mix. I would LOVE to hear Justice properly remixed, as there are some awesome songs on it. Oh, and of course so it sounds a bit more like a top 40 album... :guh:

The reason the guitars are so bassy is because the bass guitar basically follows the rhythm guitar on that album 95% of the time ;) He just uses a punchy guitar tone with scooped mids & high bass & treble.

I'm sure that many people who have qualms with Justice's "lack of bass presence" listen to plenty of stuff where the bass is non-existant. This mainly applies to message board guys who name drop 100 obscure bands a day.

What the fuck? I have always liked the production on TRITSIO. Never knew it was so hated. :p

I wouldnt say hated but to me it´s just that it´s frustrating because of the fact that the songs are so great. If they had productions on level with Slaughter they probably would be my favourite albums of all time.

The reason the guitars are so bassy is because the bass guitar basically follows the rhythm guitar on that album 95% of the time ;) He just uses a punchy guitar tone with scooped mids & high bass & treble.

I'm sure that many people who have qualms with Justice's "lack of bass presence" listen to plenty of stuff where the bass is non-existant. This mainly applies to message board guys who name drop 100 obscure bands a day.

Actually, you're completely wrong. The reason the guitars are so bassy on Justice is because they were trying to get the thickest guitar sound they possibly could, and Hetfield/Ulrich had no problems at all turning the new guy down in volume. That farty sound when the guitars are chugging is pure overdriven guitar. The bass guitar is practically inaudible. It's there, but only just.

As for the second part of your post, I have no idea what the fuck you're on about. It reads like nothing but a nonsensical display of the obvious chip on your shoulder regarding people with more knowledge of metal than you.