Would you let bad production get in the way of an otherwise good album?

I agree that it depends on the band, some bands sound better raw.I do like good production though, were all instruments are audible. Over production is what I cant stand--most of the guitars are punched in, too clean of a sound, for example Megadeths CTE was way too over produced, sounded very sterile and by the numbers

It's all subjective, but in my case, I MUST be able to hear the guitars up front. Nattens Madrigal, Transilvanian Hunger, and similar albums are not bad production IMO because the guitars are right there.

Bad production to me includes poor live CDs, and albums mostly overproduced where all you can hear are the drums and the vocals; such as with all modern melodic death albums. This is supposed to be music with intricate melodies and you can't even hear them...what's the point?

Of course, even "bad" production can get extreme; but usually this is with live recordings more than anything else. Guitars must be high in the mix or I can't listen to it without yawning.

Well, if it's a good album then the production should fit the music like a glove. Accentuate it, rather than just get in the way. Otherwise, it can't be all that good.

I can't stand bad production (ie. production that obviously didn't turn out the way it should have, see: Atheist - Elements), it definitely gets in the way of my enjoyment of an album. I'm also not a fan of deliberately raw/lo-fi production generally.

Being an enormous fan of black metal, bad production rarely hinders me from enjoying an album. Though I must say, I've put off buying the Satyricon/Enslaved split for a long time because I don't like the production on Yggdrasil.

The Satyricon side of the split is worth the price of the whole thing.

Dream Theatre doesn't need bad production to suck. And if bathory had dream theatre production, it would be pretty lame.

Of course, but imagine how much more DT would suck with bad production. The only thing they have going for them is their production. As for Bathory, I meant the Viking Era stuff. Imagine Nordland with a clearer production. Blood Fire Death and anything earlier should stay right where it is.

Bad production is a stupid way to phrase this. Why would anyone like an album which had production they thought was bad. The difference is that "bad" is an opinion; it's subjective. "Raw" or "muddy" or "muffled" is usually a better and more applicable word.

I can't stand bad production (ie. production that obviously didn't turn out the way it should have, see: Atheist - Elements), it definitely gets in the way of my enjoyment of an album. I'm also not a fan of deliberately raw/lo-fi production generally.

Excellent example. I have always hated the production on that album and it has hindered me to an extent.

...And Justice For All is another good example, though I can't necessarily say the album would be good with different production. But as it stands it's horrible.

Coma Void - Stormking Twilight is an album I really like, but the production is horrible. Almost unlistenable. I would love to hear this produced better.

Nevermore - Enemies of Reality: I only have the original and if nobody had ever said anything, I would never have even thought about the production. It's fine. But apparently it was a big deal to Nevermore fans and to the band. I am interested in hearing the remaster, though.

Well, if it's a good album then the production should fit the music like a glove. Accentuate it, rather than just get in the way. Otherwise, it can't be all that good.

Well said. To me, music is one part actual composition and one part production (Not necessarily 50/50 though. I'd argue that, say, Sunn0))) or Merzbow are maybe 10-20% composition and the rest production). I can still enjoy good composition suffering from inadequate production, but never as much as a record that has both working well together.

And it definitely depends on the band for me, as others have mentioned. There is no single template that works universally. If by "bad" production we mean the typical lo-fi raw black metal sound, then no I'd never immediately write it off. Transilvanian Hunger's production fits the music, just as the considerably more processed, polished sound of many Blind Guardian records fits. And those are just extremes. Most of my favorite albums fall somewhere in between, but they all have a production and composition that function effectively.

So yes, "bad" production will interfere with my enjoyment of good music. I sometimes wish it didn't though, since production and mixing is a task often performed by an outsider who isn't necessarily in tune with the musician's artistic vision.