Would you let bad production get in the way of an otherwise good album?

Proof of the bad production on Elements seemed to come when I heard some of the songs played live, and while they did not come off as being as good as others in Atheist's discography, they did not seem the embarrassments I remembered from the album.

The problem with AJFA is really just that the songs are not as good as the last two albums. Blackened still kicks a ton of ass; it's not about the production. If all the songs were at that level, the album would have been fine.

What a coinsidence! Since i´m getting warmed up whining about productions, we have the exact same syndrome with Therions "Beyond Sanctorum". Great songs,shitty production.

I hate the cymbalsound. Sounds like the sound is being cut off abruptly each time. Same thing with the toms now and then for some strange reason. The bassdrums sound muddy and like distant thunder. The guitars i cant say that much about since as a drummer i mainly listen to drum production.

The sound on TriTsio is low and abrasive. That, coupled with Tomas' shrieks, does make for an awkward listening experience. Interesting songwriting, though.

It's about aesthetics. I think such production gives it that "medieval" feel. Slaughter (while an awesome thrashy album) contains completely different song writing, and is better suited to that "super clear" production.

After Alf Svensson left the band, the music changed; though Terminal was a hybrid of the old and new. The older albums were darker and more epic; such production was an essential part of this process, but that is my opinion only. I love the production on "With Fear" the best.

Death metal, grindcore (sometimes), and thrash are all suited to top notch production, but Melodic death and black metal, who's themes are often epic and "ancient" need that grit to really pull through fully. The grit is gone in melodic death these days, sadly.

As for the second part of your post, I have no idea what the fuck you're on about. It reads like nothing but a nonsensical display of the obvious chip on your shoulder regarding people with more knowledge of metal than you.

I have no chip on my shoulder regarding that. I've heard people who worship bands like Ildjarn shit talk Justice's production, which is laughable IMO. I wasn't referring to you either, as I never really hear you talk about those kinds of bands with Casio boom box production.

Oh i got a good one. Iron Maidens guitar sound anyone? Is it just me who think that it always sounds too thin and devoid of crunch?

I think the original Stormblast would have been better with a production more like Spiritual Black Dimensions. Heavier, but still atmospheric.

Actually, you're completely wrong. The reason the guitars are so bassy on Justice is because they were trying to get the thickest guitar sound they possibly could, and Hetfield/Ulrich had no problems at all turning the new guy down in volume. That farty sound when the guitars are chugging is pure overdriven guitar. The bass guitar is practically inaudible. It's there, but only just.

Yeah, that's it. And when played loud on my car stereo it is virtually unlistenable. I will admit my stereo is not that great, but most albums don't have that overdriven buzzed out quality for me that AJfA has. But I don't complain about it much, because it's just not that great of an album, so who cares?

Oh i got a good one. Iron Maidens guitar sound anyone? Is it just me who think that it always sounds too thin and devoid of crunch?

I can see that if you're coming from a death metal or metalcore, or even thrash background, being used to a "wall of sound" where everything is very thick. But their style doesn't dictate the ultra thick tones. The first two have more agressive tones, but they were done a long long time ago, so even they might seem thin compared to modern stuff.

I wouldnt say hated but to me it´s just that it´s frustrating because of the fact that the songs are so great. If they had productions on level with Slaughter they probably would be my favourite albums of all time.

So basically you only like music to have pop production jobs. Congrats on proving your stupidity once again!

Yes. At the Gates earlier albums are terrible plainly because the production is worthless.

Gardens of Grief and Slaughter of The Soul have great production. The Red In The Sky Is Ours does not have great production and it does not bother me either. I use to hate SoTS and it grew on me and noticed once the band kicked out Alf they went back to a more intense direction where on With Fear... you have all these melodies that go nowhere at all and add the horrible production and music with no balls. Grotoseque and GoG are very thrashy and death metallish and you hear the band going back to that on Slaughter of The Soul.

I would LOVE to hear Justice properly remixed...
Scared of innovation... You'd think people into metal would have learned to engage music on its own terms. But if you can't handle the album as it was intended you can track down "with bass" remix floating around, it was presumably made by someone who was similarly outside their comfort zone with the original album.

Yes. At the Gates earlier albums are terrible plainly because the production is worthless.
I wouldnt say hated but to me it´s just that it´s frustrating because of the fact that the songs are so great. If they had productions on level with Slaughter they probably would be my favourite albums of all time.
The Red In The Sky... has absolutely standard old school death metal production. I can only assume you are coming from a very minimal frame of reference.