Would you trade a Fender American Standard Strat...

Vaggelis_Revolted

Guitarist / Novice A.E.
Apr 3, 2011
www.myspace.com
..for an Ibanez prestige RG2550E, in order to improve your recording chain?

My Fender is a really cool instrument, but when it comes to (death) metal sounds, Ibanez would be more appropriate, i suppose. (even though i am using a Seymour Duncan SH-5 on the bridge for my Strat)

Any thoughts? Is the Ibanez suitable for the genre?

I would not trade an American Standard for an 2550 straight up - I'd probably ask for a little cash on top. I've seen used 2550s for a little over $600 a many times. But, if you want to keep it easy, so be it, but I would not make that deal.

I wouldn't really say any is better than the other... just different. It wouldn't really be an upgrade, but not a downgrade either.

That being said, for metal, >I< would take the Ibanez.

I wouldn't really say any is better than the other... just different. It wouldn't really be an upgrade, but not a downgrade either.

That being said, for metal, >I< would take the Ibanez.

+1 to this.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily a straight trade either, it's close, but yours is probably worth a bit more. For metal, the Ibanez is better, not really even a contest; but the stock pickups in the Ibanez are inferior to to the SH-5 IMO.

I'm gonna have to go against everyone and say if we're talking tonally...vintage trem vs floating, alder vs basswood, Duncan Custom vs IBZ/Dimarzio (whatever that is)...I think the strat wins across the board. Why would you say otherwise? Because Ibanez's have pointy headstocks?

Unless, of course, you're uncomfortable with the way your strat feels...that's a different story.

a good strat is nice to have around. If you must have a metal specific guitar i would just save for it. If you must, sell the strat and buy something niiiice, the Ibanez prestige guitars are real hit or miss imo for the price they charge.

IBZ/DiMarzio pickups are actual DiMarzios made in USA with the rest of the DiMarzio lineup. They are not Duncan Designed or anything of the sort.

IBZ/DiMarzio bridge pickup is supposed to be in between a Super Distortion and a Steve Morse Model, and the neck pickup is supposed to be similar to a Super 2.

You own a trully great instrument. If I were you, I would not trade it and here's why :

I own a Gib custom and have tested it against a strat and ibanez costing about the same and the conclustion has always been the same : they can all sound amazing for certain styles of music but none of them sounds bad for any style. Bottom-line ; they're all great instruments.

Therefore I'd stick with what you have and find an amp that will bring the best out of it in terms of metal sound. Take your time and compare it against the ibanez models you're after, see if it is really-really worth trading it.

Just an opinion.

OK guys, your answers are really helpful, especially about the price difference.

There are also some other exchange offers like my Fender for a Charvel USA tele style with a JB on bridge, so i am now considering some other offers as well.

You can totally do death metal with a strat. You just have to tweak it a little bit. I play really heavy music, and I think that Fender Strats, and Teles (the good ones anyways) are extremely under rated. I always think is it bad ass as to see some one ripping metal up with a Fender.