Would you trade a Fender American Standard Strat...

You can totally do death metal with a strat. You just have to tweak it a little bit. I play really heavy music, and I think that Fender Strats, and Teles (the good ones anyways) are extremely under rated. I always think is it bad ass as to see some one ripping metal up with a Fender.

yea its possible. dude from cryptopsy uses a strat.

A picture is a thousand words

250px-Sepultura_@_Maquin%C3%A1ria_Festival_04.jpg

/thread

Charvel USA tele style with a JB on bridge

Those things rock and I think that would be a more suitable trade in terms of value of awesomeness. I would consider it but theres nothing wrong with your strat that you need to trade it. It should be fully capable of what you want it to do in my opinion.

It's seriously all in the pickups. Well, mostly. I think stock Strats come with medium or medium-jumbo fretwire, or at least mine did. I found a neck for sale on a forum a long time ago that had been refretted with jumbo fretwire and that + EMGs made it into a perfectly capable metal guitar.

Ugghh, that headstock - flip the Strat, and maybe grab a Jackson USA, oooh yeah

EDIT: OOooh, yeah, or that Charvel (though that I might want like $100 on top of, but if you love the guitar and it's in great shape, I'd totally go for it)

Seriously,

There is nothing that any guitar, that is made out of quality parts, can not do. I'd keep the Strat, replace some parts, and rip a hole in the space time fabric with some serious riffage. To also look on the more positive side; You'll will be doing something that is far less common in the genre using a strat. I'm all for it. I know that I have been wanting to get one for some time not to do just the same thing. Good luck my friend.

to add to the previously mentioned list, karl sanders from nile plays a bright yellow strat with EMG's live...or at least did a few years back

if it works for fucking NILE, it can work for anyone

Ugghh, that headstock

OOooh, yeah, or that Charvel

Hmm....hahahaha.

The recent Charvel production models rock though (the USA and Japan), I have 2 and highly recommend them over...anything else in the price range.

And a USA Jackson is certainly a major step up from an American Standard...I don't think even the cheapest USA Jackson is below $2,000.

EDIT: Also,

Seriously,

There is nothing that any guitar, that is made out of quality parts, can not do. I'd keep the Strat, replace some parts, and rip a hole in the space time fabric with some serious riffage. To also look on the more positive side; You'll will be doing something that is far less common in the genre using a strat. I'm all for it. I know that I have been wanting to get one for some time not to do just the same thing. Good luck my friend.

This 9 post man knows what he is talking about.

Meh, I have owned like 6 USA Strats over the years, and have tried to make nearly every single one of them into metal machines.

It doesn't work.

You can get the gain out of them, but they still have that Strat twang to them, even with high output humbuckers, which IMO is undesirable for rhythms. I love the feel of Strats, but there's something about them that just makes them impossibly hard to sound like a guitar made for metal. Still fantastic lead guitars, regardless, but metal rhythms, I just can't dig on a Strat.

I'd probably go with the Charvel (though, I'd still probably prefer the Ibanez, but not with the stock pickups - I don't care if they're "real" DiMarzios, the IBZs are muddy). Teles are awesome, the perfect combination of Strat feel, mixed with more of a Les Paul tone. Charvel makes a cool guitar, and I've owned the one you've been offered before. Much better guitar for metal IMO

All right guys, it is always nice to see guitar related conversations over here.

For the record, the Charvel guy finally dismissed his offer, because even though he likes the fender and the tone of my guitar, he doesn't like the looks of modern-looking saddles (!).

So the Ibanez offer is still on (along with some other offers, not worth mentioning).

I am going to ask for some extra cash (thanx to your help), I will test the guitar, and depending on how it sounds and feels, I might make the deal and change the pickups.

MatrixClaw, by the way, i just feel the same way, when it comes to extreme genres, the character of the Fender and its twang is somewhat "not suitable" for a metal rhythm tone. At least based on my experience with the SH-5 pick up.

Last but not least, i would never install an EMG pick up on my strat, it just doesn't feel right.. :)
Instead, i would prefer keeping the Strat the way it is, and saving money for another EMG guitar, or trading it directly for an active pickup instrument.

Seriously,

+1 hahh

You can get the gain out of them, but they still have that Strat twang to them, even with high output humbuckers, which IMO is undesirable for rhythms. I love the feel of Strats, but there's something about them that just makes them impossibly hard to sound like a guitar made for metal. Still fantastic lead guitars, regardless, but metal rhythms, I just can't dig on a Strat.

I'd probably go with the Charvel (though, I'd still probably prefer the Ibanez, but not with the stock pickups - I don't care if they're "real" DiMarzios, the IBZs are muddy). Teles are awesome, the perfect combination of Strat feel, mixed with more of a Les Paul tone. Charvel makes a cool guitar, and I've owned the one you've been offered before. Much better guitar for metal IMO
A Charvel (at least if it's one of the ones that have been kinda popular nowadays) is made from the same woods as a Strat... why should it sound very different from a Fender Strat if it had the same pickups in it? I mean, asides from the natural variation within the same woods, I really don't think a non-locking trem makes a guitar sound THAT different from a floyd.

However, it would play hell of a lot different, and this is just my personal preference, that would make it more of a metal guitar. JMO.

And also IMO, I really don't think a Tele sounds like a Les Paul... at all... :lol:

However, I do agree with you on preferring the Ibanez. :D

... aaaand I do agree with Marcus big-time in not liking the aesthetics of the untilted Strat headstock! :D

Hmm....hahahaha.

Right, good point haha - I guess it's just how hilariously awkwardly massive the particular headstock in the pic Motomoto posted is that makes me want to puke out everything I've ever eaten ever, as well as the black tuners on the Charvel (and the fact that is says Charvel :D) that make it look cooler to me

Also, just throwing this out there, could the fact that Strats are mostly front-routed with pickguards be part of what gives them the supposed inescapable "Strat" tone, as some have suggested? (haven't personally experienced it myself, cuz I've only ever played single-coil Strats in the past)

A Charvel (at least if it's one of the ones that have been kinda popular nowadays) is made from the same woods as a Strat... why should it sound very different from a Fender Strat if it had the same pickups in it? I mean, asides from the natural variation within the same woods, I really don't think a non-locking trem makes a guitar sound THAT different from a floyd.

However, it would play hell of a lot different, and this is just my personal preference, that would make it more of a metal guitar. JMO.

The main difference here is that the Strat has a giant top route, whereas the pickups in the Charvel are mounted in pickup rings, without a pickguard. That makes a HUGE difference, IMO.

And also IMO, I really don't think a Tele sounds like a Les Paul... at all... :lol:

I don't mean they really sound the same as a Les Pauls - Of course they don't, they're made out of completely different tone woods, use different hardware and (usually) different pickups - I meant that they have a beefier tone than a Strat, in the LP sense.