Wreath

in limbow said:
I think most people really overlook the greatness of not only Wreath but Deliverance as a whole. Many compare it to MAYH and complain that it is too stripped-down and doesn't have enough atmoshpere, but I think the bare-bones kind of sound works great. The whole album is amazing, and maybe even better than Blackwater Park. It's very very emotional

Agree 100%. Deliverance is overlooked.

i regretted buying deliverance at first, but after listening to "By the Pain i See in Others" and "A Fair Judgement" a little more, deliverance (as well as my other opeth cds) has become one of the best cds i've ever bought.

Wreath is good in that it makes way for Deliverance, so basically I find it overshadowed and forgettable. The only riff I can recall in it off hand are those two successive pounding riffs repeated a few times, first minus vocals, then with the growls on the second leg. I do love that part.

It seems that most of the people who love the song are n00bs lol. I've always liked the song, but it's nothing spectacular. Deliverance is now my fave song off of that album after seeing it live. Deliverance is a weak album to just listen to .. it seems that it's comes across much better live. It really stood out live. Thats where Deliverance's beauty lies.

I think that "Wreath" is one of the most beautiful and atmospheric songs in existence. It's definitely in my top five Opeth songs. Some of the riffs have such a beautiful sadness to them. I have no idea why people don't like it.

^ must be a noob, compare wreath to april ethereal, wreath gets blown out of the water, its an ok song but the first riff is mediocre, goes on for way too long, the next part saves it and the outro is rocking, but there isn't anything else going for it. Deliverance is a great album in metal standards but as an Opeth album I don't think it quite cuts it.

aestusmaris@hotmail.com said:
^ must be a noob, compare wreath to april ethereal, wreath gets blown out of the water, its an ok song but the first riff is mediocre, goes on for way too long, the next part saves it and the outro is rocking, but there isn't anything else going for it. Deliverance is a great album in metal standards but as an Opeth album I don't think it quite cuts it.

I'm not sure if you were referring to me, but I've been a member of this forum for longer than you have, so I do believe that would make you the "noob." In any case, I wasn't comparing Wreath to any of Opeth's other songs. April Ethereal is actually my favorite song, and I'd choose that one over Wreath any day. Still, I think Wreath is an amazing song, and I don't find it boring or mediocre in the least bit.

bottom line is, this song is overlooked and kicks major ass, and people who say deliverance is opeth's worsts album obviously don't realize how opeth have improved in their dynamics and overall musicianship from their earlier albums

blimey said:
bottom line is, this song is overlooked and kicks major ass, and people who say deliverance is opeth's worsts album obviously don't realize how opeth have improved in their dynamics and overall musicianship from their earlier albums

Or its just their personal taste :wave: .

I thought it was pretty fucking tight that Opeth did a heavy song pretty much 95% of the way through where there was barely any clean parts. That's especially awesome when it clocked over 10 minutes...

Deliverance is Opeth's worst album, my reasoning...Mike I remember said he makes music that invokes emotions, Deliverance doesn't invoke much emotion, wreath has a few good moments but is let down by the rest of the song, the rest of the album is much the same, for amazing songs like a fair judgement, you get by the pain i see in the others.

All other Opeth albums are much better ('cept damnation but that doesn't really count)..morningrise being the crown jewel of the opeth back catalog imo