Writing for the new album has begun

Can't wait for the new album! I'm interested in how they'll progress; it'd be nice to have more songs in the vein of Unfurl, but who knows what they're planning. Also, I think it would be awesome if they included an instrumental and/or a song with Swedish lyrics. And I agree - a studio diary would kick ass!

Also, I think it would be awesome if they included an instrumental and/or a song with Swedish lyrics.
Thats why we don't pay you to think. Thats why we don't pay you at all.
:p

Can't wait for new cd :headbang:

Hope the songs are more musically balanced like last fair deal, and by the sound of the B-sides just may be. More experimental.

I have complete confidence in that they will make a great album no matter what, but i guess i'm hoping for a "new sound" from them.

No radical changes, just sort of a natural progression from TGCD. A little more experimental and a little bit weird (or something) would be cool.

Well it's time for a radical change. I mean it seems almost every 2 or 3 albums something takes a pretty drastic turn. Hopefully they stick to that formula.

Unfurl is a good trip hop-ish mellow track but c'mon, i don't want the new album to revolve around that concept, mainly because TGCD was a fantastic album, the perfect follow-up to Viva Emtiness. I want the new album to be a bit more varied and experimental than TGCD.

BlueSky: That wouldn't surprise me. Just by hearing their most recent EPs, there's a significant difference between Unfurl and The Great Cold Distance. I have to say that I really like the atmosphere Katatonia exudes in Unfurl, as well as in The Great Cold Distance remixes. I know that the Soil's Song and My Twin remixes were not very popular amongst Kata-fans, but the vibe in these songs is incredible. If they can just take it a step from Unfurl they'll make an incredible album, not to mention expand on their already evolving sound. Regardless of what they do, I'm sure I'll be impressed; after all, Katatonia is one of the few bands that never lets me down.

For me drastic changes really doesn't matter. I want the songs to be good. Most drastic changes bands do tend to be pseudo-creative or plain sucky

I like to see bands that are ever expanding and changing, but still have their own sound. You were right about one thing though, the songs need to be good, but it's kat so i'm sure they will be good regardless.

I like to see bands that are ever expanding and changing, but still have their own sound. You were right about one thing though, the songs need to be good, but it's kat so i'm sure they will be good regardless.

i'd like to hear katatonia combine their newer über polished soundscape with their TD/LFDGD, and bring in the right creative stuff. some psychadelic or some extremer stuff would be cool. i'm also confident they'll do something good. the question is how good

I may get shot for saying this, but what about Jonas bringing back some growls (more so than in Ghost of the Sun)... I mean, we all heard what he's doing with Ayreon right? I think now, with the newer, highly polished sound, growls would take on a very different feeling from the early stuff...

Just a thought, it very likely will never happen...

Not so much. Don't think it would fit. The Ghost of the sun thing works. But no DODS type growling.