Writing for the new album has begun

I may get shot for saying this, but what about Jonas bringing back some growls (more so than in Ghost of the Sun)... I mean, we all heard what he's doing with Ayreon right? I think now, with the newer, highly polished sound, growls would take on a very different feeling from the early stuff...

Just a thought, it very likely will never happen...

More than that would be unesscery.

Unfurl is what it is. It is a great B-side. If they made a full album on Unfurl's, I think it would be a mistake.

Other than that, it would be cool to have at least one track with some more Death type vocals. It could just be interesting to hear how it sounds so many years later. Besides that, I am just curious to hear what direction they will head in. Should be fun.

wasn't it daniel who screamed on ghost of the sun?

Yeah you're right anders was tgcd. Either way good stuff, but not to be over done. I like when people are selective with their harsh vocals because it makes it that much more intense, and interesting.

Yeah you're right anders was tgcd. Either way good stuff, but not to be over done. I like when people are selective with their harsh vocals because it makes it that much more intense, and interesting.

Totally depends on the band. Katatonia has a melody sound today that's better suited for harsh vocs only once in a while in an album. For Death Metal and Doom/Death, mostly, I say screw the cleans

wasn't it daniel who screamed on ghost of the sun?

I oddly enough came across that very fact while thumbing through my VE cd booklet this morning. I always thought it was Anders.

But back on topic, I'm actually a little nervous for the next album. Not sure what to expect. I'm sorta scared they'll never be able to top TGCD. Then again, it's fucking Katatonia we're talking about haha

I did talk to Jonas about the direction of the new stuff and asked specifically about if they were going in the direction of the EP's for TGCD. No....they are not going in that direction. We, and they, love that kind of stuff....but the direction of the new alblum will be in the vein of TGCD.

I would have been very surprised if they did an entire album more or less in the Unfurl vein.

TGCD is their best effort so far. Really looking foward to this...

(Like DUH...)

I did talk to Jonas about the direction of the new stuff and asked specifically about if they were going in the direction of the EP's for TGCD. No....they are not going in that direction. We, and they, love that kind of stuff....but the direction of the new alblum will be in the vein of TGCD.

Thats a shame they don't change it up a bit. I mean they should. No musician should do the same cd twice. Plus they've done much better cds anyhow.

Thats a shame they don't change it up a bit. I mean they should. No musician should do the same cd twice. Plus they've done much better cds anyhow.

I know for a fact they wont be doing the same alblum twice...to say such a thing makes no sense in regards to katatonia. Have they ever done the same alblum? Katatonia progresses more than any band I have ever listened to from CD to CD. Katatonia never has dissapointed me and I certainly dont expect them to this time around. I have a learned faith in them....always afraid of their next CD...only to find that it is the shit every time. So no worries here.

I have a learned faith in them....always afraid of their next CD...only to find that it is the shit every time.

I know that feeling. It's the "Oh god, what happens if I don't absolutely love the new album like I loved all the old albums???" At least, it's that way for me.

But I do agree with you, Katatonia has never disappointed. TGCD is one of the few albums I can honestly say I loved from the moment I heard it and just didn't stop spinning it for months. For real, I didn't listen to anything else for ages...

And of course they'll change. I think that given the gradual increase of heaviness in the past two albums we can probably expect so nice crunch on the new one. Certainly though, Unfurl just shows how those guys just never forget how to write dark, beautiful songs.

Hey, how about a double album? :lol:

I know for a fact they wont be doing the same alblum twice...to say such a thing makes no sense in regards to katatonia. Have they ever done the same alblum? Katatonia progresses more than any band I have ever listened to from CD to CD.
you never listened to In The Woods...

I know that feeling. It's the "Oh god, what happens if I don't absolutely love the new album like I loved all the old albums???" At least, it's that way for me.
Same for me... but I learned to overcome that ... less expectations means less disappointment or something. Well, I have faith in Katatonia ... and I don't make any guesses on how it may or should sound like ... let it surprise me ... then I'll see if I can still keep having faith in them or not ... I'm quite optimistic tho! x)

less expectations means less disappointment or something.
Exactly, several bands that I thought 'would never disappoint me' disappointed me (more or less) all the same, even Katatonia to a small extent. For me TGCD is a good album, but not great. I played it often and actually the Katwijk gig last year, together with some forummers here, changed my opinion and appreciation for it for the better, it's a very good album, but not my favourite.

There's no band that has never disappointed me at all in any way, even my absolute faves.

But then, I'm still a huge Kata-fan regardless and I am always looking forward to a new album! :)