WTF are you listening to?

anyone else find it funny that the new iron maiden has samurai eddie and japanese title etc but there's not a single song on the album that mentions anything related to japan or samurai or anything like that, much less any japanese influence to the music..? no..?

anyone else find it funny that the new iron maiden has samurai eddie and japanese title etc but there's not a single song on the album that mentions anything related to japan or samurai or anything like that, much less any japanese influence to the music..? no..?

Eddie Trunk interviewed Dickinson a few weeks ago (check out the podcast here ... pretty good interview) ...
https://www.audible.com/pd/Bruce-Dickinson-Podcast/B09FS3RDPH

Bruce said something to the effect that the Japanese Samurai theme is just that ... a theme ... besides the title track there is nothing else that plays into that. It's just something to wrap the project around and by no means it's a concept album.
Maiden does that a lot if you think about it with each record ... they are master marketers after-all.

Eddie Trunk interviewed Dickinson a few weeks ago (check out the podcast here ... pretty good interview) ...
https://www.audible.com/pd/Bruce-Dickinson-Podcast/B09FS3RDPH

Bruce said something to the effect that the Japanese Samurai theme is just that ... a theme ... besides the title track there is nothing else that plays into that. It's just something to wrap the project around and by no means it's a concept album.
Maiden does that a lot if you think about it with each record ... they are master marketers after-all.
well yes but also no

because somewhere in time, powerslave, etc all had at least one song that tied into the theme

this one just doesn't, not even the song senjutsu, which had the working title "the great wall" and seems more like it's about the great wall of china but they slapped the "senjutsu" title on it last minute because steve thought a samurai eddie would look cool

i mean it doesn't really matter either way, i just thought that maybe it would be fitting to have SOME kind of japan reference in there beyond a single song title

This was one of my more listened to albums released last year. I haven't heard any of this band's earlier stuff, I always got the impression they were fairly derivative. Indeed, their influences are pretty evident on this album, but I do enjoy it. Just to put you all off, it's like a mix of Insomnium and Devin Townsend. Can probably be filed under "pinkage".

I guess Im late to the show here with Wormwood, but I found this album engaging and well written

Not heard Wormwood before seeing them discussed here, but I'm enjoying the new one, it's right up my street. Will work backwards.

I like the new one. A few more listens to make sure it is worthy of being in my collection alongside cult stuff like Ensiferum and Ultraspank