WTF?!?! Behringer Ultragain Pro ADA-8000

Feb 8, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
Ok, I'm running a Pro ADA-8000 into my Digi 002 with an ADAT connection. I'm only using triggers (kick and toms) into the Behringer and mics for snare and overheads in the 002's inputs. Now here's the weird part, everything coming in through the Behringer is recorded roughly .016 seconds EARLIER than the 002! :Smug:

Has anyone dealt with this situation before? What do you guys suggest?

I lol'ed.

I dunno man, I use an ADA-8000 into my Saffire Pro, along with the 8Pre, and use it just for triggers as well to conserve the good pres for mics. Not had an issue like that with mine. Must be the 002?

~006

You mean the awesome 4 page manual that just tells you how awesome the product is and how you shouldn't use it a bathtub full of water? It was quite helpful! :mad:

Meh, well i figure since i'm just using it for triggers, i can run it with drumagog on each trigger and set the latency to 15ms. But if i ever wanted to use it for mic's (god forbid) then tracking fast drums would suck balls. Perhaps there's some setting in protools i'm not thinking of.

Yea i use ada8000 with a 002 and I don't have that latency. I would get on the Duc forums and ask around there....

Well, of course different converters will have different latencies of the ad/da... But 15ms! Damn, that is a lot!

I have an Aurora 16 together with some MoTu MKIII Converters - that is my setup for recording important stuff (Aurora) and unimportant stuff like Triggers, Scratchtracks etc (MoTu) .. They do have differences in latency - I am not talking about the system (in my case ASIO) buffer/latency, just the pure latency of the conversation. The Aurora is something around 10 or 15 samples (NOT ms!) and the MoTu is a bit slower... I forgot.. lets say 30 samples...

I would not combine those two converters for recording snare top/bottom or guitar cabs... But in the case of Room mics and scratch tracks I don't care.

What I want to say: The Behringer most likely should have MORE latency then the 002... But not 15ms... maybe 50 samples or so... That still would be well below a ms.

Brandy

Thats really odd. I would have no idea sorry man!
Good thinking about getting the cheap pres for triggers - I never thought of that, I might be needing some new pres to run my triggers and Ive been looking at decent ones, what a waste of money! ha!

Didn't somebody figure out that the ADA-8000 had an exact copy of the converters from an Apogee...? And in a GearSlutz shootout tons of people preferred the 8000 over some other ridiculous unit...too bad the pres suck though!

~006

Ok, so i got two of the exact same cheapo dynamic mics and tapped them together so each one makes a quick transient at the exact same time as the other. Well, the Behringer is now only .002 seconds earlier than the Digi.

So, this either means that there's something weird with the triggers, or there may be some latency difference with the unbalanced input v.s. the xlr inputs, since the triggers i'm using have an xlr connection and i'm using an xlr to trs snake connection.

Didn't somebody figure out that the ADA-8000 had an exact copy of the converters from an Apogee...? And in a GearSlutz shootout tons of people preferred the 8000 over some other ridiculous unit...too bad the pres suck though!

~006

I believe they are copies of RME converters from their ADI series. The shoot-out you refer to was the ADA-8000 to a Lynx Aurora, where the vast majority preferred the tonal characteristics of the Behringer for its non-linearities :loco:

Yeah, it was the hyping in the top end that people liked about the Behr, for better or for worse - someone showed a frequency analysis, and the Lynx was a whole lot flatter

Clock it all off of the ada8000. Take the word clock output of the ada and clock the 002 off of it. I should take care of your latency problem and make everything sound way better. The Oscillating Crystal inside of the ADA is way superior to most if not all PLL (phase lock loop clocks) that are used in any interface that I've ever used except in the Apogee's. Their synthesized clock is fucking king shit for PLL's.

I doubt its the ADA. I got two of those plus the 8 outputs of each of my 3G's feeding my console and I never have had an issue with input or output latency. Make sure your not recording over 48k. Believe it or not, it will still record at higher sample rates, it just will sound all fucked up and when your recording just triggers it wont make a shit of difference, except everything recorded off of the 002 or whatever thats working at the higher sample rate will be off of the ada inputs due to the decreased amount of information that the ada is reading compared to the 002

Anyone use the ADAT Out in it? I can't get it to work, no signal goes out to my Fireface 400. ADAT In does work on the ADA8000, but not ADAT Out. Here's the signal chain for both:

DAW -> ADAT1 as output -> Fireface ADAT Out -> ADA8000 ADAT In -> Line Out 1
= works

SM57 -> ADA8000 Mic In 1 (gain just below clip LED) -> ADA8000 ADAT Out -> (same cable as above) -> Fireface 400 ADAT In (Limit bandwidth is set to allow all channels) -> DAW -> Input: ADAT1
= does not work, no signal whatsoever

Any ideas?