WTF?!?! Behringer Ultragain Pro ADA-8000

Oh nevermind. You have to set the Sync switch in the back to 44.1 kHz Master, otherwise it won't output anything. So it looks like you can't use this for both ADAT In and ADAT Out at the same time :erk: Such as sending backing tracks to FOH, and recording the show for your own use at the same time.

Some units (like the Focusrite Octopre) you can split the ADATs into two banks of four iirc.. but I don't think the ADA8000 has that option.

That's not a bad idea about clocking your system to the ADA, since if that has the greatest latency - it makes sense to use that.

As someone said up there ^^ Crystals are infinitely better than PPLs (unless you spend REAL money).

So, this either means that there's something weird with the triggers,

I'm guessing it's because the triggers are in direct contact with the skin, and the signal still has to travel through air before it hits the mic.

Try miking and triggering a snare just using the 002, and then another test just using the ADA for comparison.

I'm guessing it's because the triggers are in direct contact with the skin, and the signal still has to travel through air before it hits the mic.

Try miking and triggering a snare just using the 002, and then another test just using the ADA for comparison.

that is what i thought too. usually triggers (without a drummodule) are faster in response than mics. this is caused by the fact that the trigger is in contact with the head and the mic is something between 1 and 2 inches away from the head. the trigger spike response is instantly sent trough the cable when the drummer strikes the head. the mic needs to pic up the sonic wave as it appears ms later in the moving coil of the mic.

this is why tirggers are used to open noisegates in sidechaining. triggers are faster than mics and the noisegate opens up without cutting tone caused by the threshold level.

i would try to send the trigger signal to every input to see if theres a latency in your interface between direct and adat converter.

that is what i thought too. usually triggers (without a drummodule) are faster in response than mics. this is caused by the fact that the trigger is in contact with the head and the mic is something between 1 and 2 inches away from the head. the trigger spike response is instantly sent trough the cable when the drummer strikes the head. the mic needs to pic up the sonic wave as it appears ms later in the moving coil of the mic.

this is why tirggers are used to open noisegates in sidechaining. triggers are faster than mics and the noisegate opens up without cutting tone caused by the threshold level.

i would try to send the trigger signal to every input to see if theres a latency in your interface between direct and adat converter.

Yea - but 15 ms?? I would guess the difference would be around max 1 ms or something. Even less.

Regarding the clocking idea:

Yea - this could be the culprit. (Sorry I did not read all post so maybe it was already mentioned).

If you have more that one digital device you either have to use an external master clock or "daisy chain" the individual devices.

So if the Berhringer is hooked up via ADAT - you have to clock the 002 to the ADAT in, clocked by the Behringer... :ill:

Not a good idea? :erk:

Then you can try to send a clock source from the 002 via theh wordclock out - maybe the Behringer is able to sync to its word clock in..
This should work... But the best would be an external master clock which clocks all individual devices.

Hello. I'm new here, and I have an issue I was hoping someone might be able to help me with. See, I've been doing my own recording for years, and I recently/finally set up a Pro Tools Rig, running PT LE 8, with a Digi 002 interface. I have a question that I'm hoping that maybe you can help me out with since you use some of the same gear.

I'm triggering acoustic drums. I have DDrum pro triggers, going into a Behringer ADA8000, adat out into the Digi 002. Triggering software is Drumagog 4. I'm having trouble with consistency of the trigger signals. Obviously the drummer doesn't hit each drum with exactly the same velocity, so some of the triggered "Signal" is lower than others. When I adjust the sensitivity, to be able to pick up the "quieter" hits form the triggers, it takes the "smack" out of the drums. Particularly the snare. This also happens if I have the gain on the ADA8000 set lower. But if I set it higher, and the trigger signal clips.

Question is, how should I set up the triggers best for recording? How hot should the signal be from the triggers into the ada8000? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Downwards

Wow, i totally forgot about this thread! (update: i have two adat cables connected to my 002, have the ada8000 set to slave, and i'm using my newly modified black lion signature 002 as the clock source. no more latency issues!)

Ok to answer your question, let the triggers clip. i do this all the time with triggers since the audio source from the trigger is going to be used for replacement only. this doesn't mean it's ok to let every hit be clipped, in fact during fast fills that aren't hit as hard you definitely want the signal to stay intact. only the hard hits can get clipped, so that a basic drum pattern has more even dynamics.

So it's ok for the triggers to clip sometimes? Its a pain in the ass cuz when I get the level with the drum, like doing sound check, it's usually fine, but then when he plays a song, the signal strength of the trigger changes, it in turn takes the nice "crack" out of the snare drum, for example, and the sample played during the faster/weaker hits just doesnt sound as good. What do you do about that?

Also, since you can't see the actual level of the replaced drum sounds, just the trigger signal, how do you monitor the drum samples in PT to make sure those aren't clipping? Do you bus it out to new track, err..?

Let em clip, and you can always do a little bit of modifying the trigger track to get things to work nice.

Also, since you can't see the actual level of the replaced drum sounds, just the trigger signal, how do you monitor the drum samples in PT to make sure those aren't clipping? Do you bus it out to new track, err..?

create a new audio track with the correct trigger input, then make an aux track next to it with drumagog on. then, make a bus send (like bus 1) on the audio channel, set it at unity gain and pre fader, then change the aux channel's input to the bus send you picked. tun the volume fader all the way down on the audio track, and turn the aux channel up to whatever level you want to listen to it.

it also doesn't matter if the drumagog channel clips. when the aux channel drumagog is on clips, that just means the output is exceeding its maximum headroom, but this doesn't cause any distortion if the audio is already recorded. the only time you can't have clipping is during tracking (except when using triggers) and on the master fader while exporting a mix.

this method should let you see in the audio track whether or not the trigger input clips, and hear the sample playback. later on you can also duplicate this aux channel and change the sample in drumagog to something different, that way you have the ability to blend multiple samples without using up any audio tracks.

edit:any more questions and i'm going to have to start charging money :)

Ok.. So dumb question. What would 0db on the ADA8000 be then, cuz it only has 2 markings for the gain knob(+4 and -10), and it's starts with +4 on the lower setting? Plus I heard tha ADA8000 has a 10db pad, so the the lowest level is 10db?:err:

You can either just let the signal clip, or in Drumagog, turn down the dynamic response. You can also set a minimum and maximum hit to get things more consistent. Or even just open up the .gog and mute the wimpier hits.

It has been a while since I have used Drumagog, these days I use DrumTracker. Sort of a messed up workflow, but the MIDI consistency and control is ideal.

Or... after tracking, you can compress/limit/whatever you need to do the signal to raise the level going into drumagog. You just need a signal for Drumagog to work off of.