Wtf strings

EffigyForgotten

New Metal Member
May 22, 2012
Minas Morgul
Ok so I bought a 11-56 set for my PRS replacing the 10-52 elixirs that were there before and there's a HUGE problem...

Number 1: no matter what tuning I'm in (E to C#) the strings are much looser than the elixirs in ANY tuning, as in the 11-56 are looser in E than the 10-52s in C#

Number 2: even though the tension is strange I definitely notice how much bigger the strings are and honestly I hate it, from this experience I'm never tuning lower than D with 10-52s as the strings were way to thick to play on if I'm playing a chord in perfect tuning it sounds wrong and tapping or single notes will make a sound for like .10 of a second then decay away so it sounds like a noise gate maxed on the clean channel regardless of settings/gain on my amp.

This really sucks as im on vacation 500+ miles away from home and I won't be able to play until I get home (which isn't for 5 days)

You're on vacation, and you're worried about your guitar strings in which you wont be near for the next 5 days? Am I missing something here, go party and have fun.

Number 1:

Impossible.

Number 2:

After changing string gauge, you should also intonate and most probably adjust the truss rod slightly.
It is perfectly normal that different gauge strings will feel slightly different and will require you to adjust your fretting and picking style.

Don't forget, different string manufacturers have different tensions, despite possibly being the same diameter string. Elixirs generally have more tension than, say, D'Addario. Considering that Elixir doesn't make 11-56 in electric, I'd be willing to bet you swapped brands with very different tensions.