Bartione Guitars - Pro and cons - Do I need one

pifos_2

des scoubidoubidous wha !
Jan 15, 2007
Netherlands
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

I switched back to 6 strings few months again. Everything is going well but I'd like to tune my PRS to standard tuning for non-metal Music Production.

A local store have 3 Schecter C1 in stock. One of those is a Black Jack Baritone.
I am a big noob when it comes to baritone. All I know is that the neck is then longer, like 27"...

I would use it for Metal in Standard C tuning, the strings I use now are 56-12.
Any pro or cons I should know before I purchase one ?

Also how would it sound/feel in standard tuning with 46-10 ?

baritones in standard tunings sounds also very nice..very bright and "in your face".. especially on clean strumming stuff, open chords.etc..
you can even go with lighter strings than 10-46 for standard tuning if you like to.

the only con of a baritone that comes to my mind is that you have to stretch you fingers more on the first frets than on a regular scale guitar because the frets got a wider distance .
that can be struggling sometimes.

As said above the main difference in playing is getting used to the scale length .
Baritone is an easy way to get a deeper tone without detuning massively but you may still need to use heavy gauge strings to get the desired tension for your playing style .

I love baritones. I have one with a 28 scale neck, and believe me it takes some getting used to, but IMO the benefits outweigh the finger stretching.

Play the baritone for a few months then play a normal scale guitar, and you will see what it did to your fretting hand. I can do crazy reaches now.

My only complaint about my baritone (besides the difficultly of long stretches) is that I have to support the neck more so that it doesn't dive. Really easy to keep in tune though!

B won't be a problem for 25.5", Bb probably could work, though anything lower and I'd definitely want a baritone