Wurdalak - Ceremon In Flames

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Wurdulak - Ceremony In Flames
2001 - Baphomet/Housecore Records

By Mark Bridgeman

Just from seeing the cover of Wurdulak's 'Ceremony In Flames' (a nun being impaled in various ways by a crucifix), it's obvious that this album has not been created by middle-of-the-road boys. This is ugly music, but the kind that at least deserves one open-minded listening by anyone interested in the extreme genre.

This is one of the initial releases from Phil Anselmo and Killjoy's label, Baphomet/Housecore Records. The music is straight-ahead, well-played metal with chillingly-screamed vocals. This is not really my cup o' cha; excuse me if I prefer my music to have some semblance of melody. But I (surprisingly, even to myself) enjoyed this.

Featuring Killjoy (Necrophagia) and Maniac (Mayhem) on vocals, backed by members of Forsaken, Gorelord, Bloodthorn, Perished and Immortal, 'Ceremony In Flames' is naturally an impressive release. The quality of the recording is clear and well-mixed, and the playing is solid. Beneath the demon-calling vox, the music grooves, making it more appetising than most extreme/death releases, particularly to someone who isn't into that kind of heavy.

Unless you're into the satanic metal side of things, the lyrics are going to either have you throwing the CD across the room, or rolling on your back laughing. Such lines as "Beaten, whipped and tortured / Nailed upon the cross / Halo of thorns driven deeper / no pity for the son of God" aren't going to be quoted in any love poems in years to come, I'm sure - but if you're into this kind of thing, try and grab some samples to hear it for yourself.

Basically, it's not as heavy as one might assume from the cover, the lyrics are not as shocking as the press release would suggest. It is, however, atmospheric, violent music worth hearing if you're a fan of the genre.

3.5/5

PSAVIOUR666- this cd is fucking awsome, i would have not expected much from the newly started record label SuperJoint with a newly started band but i cant get enough of Killjoy off of his cd's wit Necrphigia and the Ravenous, he is a crazy SOB and along with the king of self mutilation Maniac this cd fuckin rules!