X-Amp output too low!

tgs

Elder
We've had a Radial X-Amp for a couple of years but I haven't used it very much yet. On the few occasions when I've had to use it, I have noticed that the output seems pretty low, even with the gain pot on max.

I've ran into a problem now though, which definitely confirms that the output is WAY too low. I have to reamp one track for a production I'm working with and I'm using a JCM800 so you really have to drive it pretty hard to get the highend to come out properly. So I'm feeding the signal through the reamp box and it's not nearly as much gain as when I plug the guitar straight in! I've tried to send more signal, basically until the clip light is about to jump out of the box and kick my ass, but still, really weak signal.

So my question is: does anyone else have an X-amp, and if so, have you noticed anything similar? Did you ever compare the signal out from the guitar with the signal you get when you reamp?

Just for reference I tried to send the signal straight from my interface to the amp and it had more gain for sure, but it was also very noisy so I don't want to go down that road...

Yeah, definitely don't do interface directly to the amp - does the X-Amp have a pad switch, perhaps? That's the classic problem spot on the Little Labs Redeye, for example...

Check the rest of your signal chain. I use an xamp and have never had those problems.

You should be sending a MONO output at +4 dbu.

That's because you're sending 1/2 of a stereo output to the X-amp. You have to mono your output signal. PAN it over to one side in your DAW & MAKE SURE it's panned in your interface's mixer too. That & a +4 output.

Actually I have this same problem. I'm using a M-Audio Delta 1010LT and Cubase. The output on the sound card is set to +4 and Cubase is set to a mono output signal. The volume is still much lower than a guitar plugged straight into the amp.

+4 balanced output, mono channel. Tried out from a Behringer ADA8000 as well as an Alesis HD24, same result. Also tried to boost the signal with a preamp like I said so that the the X-amp was clipping like crazy in the end. Same result.

Edit: Tomorrow I'll try Guitar -> J48 -> Preamp -> X-Amp -> Amplifier, compared to the guitar straight into the amp. If I get the same result it much clearly be faulty.

One final thing: Make sure the output of the X-amp is on full as well. Use a guitar pick to turn the knob.

It's on full.

EDIT: I have an idea. I guess it should be possible to check the attenuation or something from the input to the output? And I suppose it will change depending on how you set the output pot? Either that, or there should be some way to measure, does anyone know? In that case, maybe one of you who has the X-Amp could check with a meter and let me know what values you get! With the volume knob set to maximum or something like that. Then I can just compare it to my box when I get down to the studio tomorrow.

Guys, I work with the X-amp every day. It's a simple box, but you're making things waaaay to complex. If you're not getting a decent level, then you've made a mistake with your routing.

Usually problems like this are solved by the simple things you've missed.

it's the x-amp.

I've panned=mono and sent at +4---> volume is fine for reamping, but still lower than from direct-guitar.

I'm just switching my RME from +4 to "high gain" and it's spot on perfect

Yeah, but is the signal panned to one side on the 1010's mixer output?

I just checked my routing, I had it bypassing the card's mixer before so the panning would not have had any effect. I just tried routing through the card's mixer with the panning and the output level is the same.

It's never been a big deal since I can just turn up the gain on the amp to compensate.