X-Amp output too low!

I tried that & blew a power tube in my 5150. (of course, it was also set to "nuclear" bias!)

Oz

What % do you usually set your bias at?

I have just checked my stock/fixed bias and I have 49.7%, 49%, 39.7% and 34%. So much for balanced Quad of Powertubes. :lol:

TBH I am hating the sound of this 6505 like this and want to bias mod it but I still have 4 years warranty. It is a simple job to do it so I just might end up doing it and being satisfied with the amp. At the moment it is almost unuseable for recording IMHO. Fizzy crap.

Back on topic. Adjust the fader in the DAW to get the signal as close to 0 without clipping and since most use a TS of some sort, boost it a little with that. Always keep the X-Amp leval maxed. That's what I do.

Oz

What % do you usually set your bias at?

I have just checked my stock/fixed bias and I have 49.7%, 49%, 39.7% and 34%. So much for balanced Quad of Powertubes. :lol:

TBH I am hating the sound of this 6505 like this and want to bias mod it but I still have 4 years warranty. It is a simple job to do it so I just might end up doing it and being satisfied with the amp. At the moment it is almost unuseable for recording IMHO. Fizzy crap.

Back on topic. Adjust the fader in the DAW to get the signal as close to 0 without clipping and since most use a TS of some sort, boost it a little with that. Always keep the X-Amp leval maxed. That's what I do.

I had it biased pretty freakin' hot, that's for sure. About 38mA I believe, but I had a knob installed & just rolled it back to where I thought it sounded good.... somewhere around the halfway point.

You might want to try upgrading your preamp tubes as well. I dropped a set of 9th gen Shugangs (premium, all matched & balanced) in & it really knocked down quite a bit of fizz.

As for the X-AMP, having it up full depends on the amp. For a 5150 or Recto, shure. But for a Windsor, you actually have to roll it back quite a bit. Same for my 1965 Traynor. If not, the amp will "sag" when you start playing big open power chords.

I tried that & blew a power tube in my 5150. (of course, it was also set to "nuclear" bias!)

Wait, seriously? And you were plugging from the X-amp into the input of the 5150? Cuz I would think the preamp would take all the abuse, and the power amp would be unaffected, but I guess it was just such an absurd amount of signal that it still wreaked havoc! o_O

And as for the ProRMP, yeah, I'd imagine it's pretty damn good, but I really find it hard to believe the transformer in it is as good as the ones in the Redeye and (Cuniberti) Reamp given that it's half the price...I remember Mike (006's) comparisons had a subtle but noticeable difference, I'd think that probably wouldn't be there with the other two (I should do an experiment with my Redeye to see)

.....As for the X-AMP, having it up full depends on the amp. For a 5150 or Recto, shure. But for a Windsor, you actually have to roll it back quite a bit. Same for my 1965 Traynor. If not, the amp will "sag" when you start playing big open power chords.

Oz, so you are sending out a signal that is definitely lower than what the amp would see with a guitar plugged straight in. That seems weird.

Off-topic:
Assuming you have a Plate Voltage around 500V, at 38mA that would make it around 19W out of Rated Max of 30W so it is biased at 63%. My Plate Voltage is 500 average (514V in standby, it's interesting that there is Plate Voltage in Standby) with between 20.4mA and 29.5mA so I have a I end up with a 10W - 14.9W range (34% - 49.7%). These tubes will not die from overwork. :lol: In comparison, I just biased my Krank down to 65% from 70% yesterday. It was sounding too dry. I will check out the 9th Gens, you mean Shuguang 12AX7B (not 12AX7A) yeah? Thanks for the feedback. :kickass:

(514V in standby, it's interesting that there is Plate Voltage in Standby)

If you are talking about a 5150 style Peavey, the standby switch only drops the voltage from the screens, not the plates. Hence why you still get plate voltages in standby:)

If you are talking about a 5150 style Peavey, the standby switch only drops the voltage from the screens, not the plates. Hence why you still get plate voltages in standby:)

Interesting. My Krank has no Plate Voltage in Standby.

tgs, Sorry for the off-topic. We have occasionally mentioned x-amp stuff though. :heh:

Interesting. My Krank has no Plate Voltage in Standby.

tgs, Sorry for the off-topic. We have occasionally mentioned x-amp stuff though. :heh:

Most amps shouldn't have any plate or screen voltages in standby. Why the 5150/6505 is wired like that is beyond me. It's the only amp schem I've seen like that. I'm pretty sure the 5150II and 6505+ don't have plate voltage in standby either. Why Peavey did that is beyond me.

it's the x-amp.

I've panned=mono and sent at +4---> volume is fine for reamping, but still lower than from direct-guitar.

I'm just switching my RME from +4 to "high gain" and it's spot on perfect

lower signal here as well, using delta 1010.
for all none rme users, try mxr's microamp, it works for me!

I just tried to run the signal out from the ADA8000 to an Amek CIB line input, drove the signal input into red and set the output trim on the CIB to +10 (maximum). NOW I get some decent signal, but I actually have to run the input on the CIB even hotter to make the clip led on the Xamp to light up. This really can't be right. Any way to trim the input on the Xamp so it gets more input by default?

I just tried to run the signal out from the ADA8000 to an Amek CIB line input, drove the signal input into red and set the output trim on the CIB to +10 (maximum). NOW I get some decent signal, but I actually have to run the input on the CIB even hotter to make the clip led on the Xamp to light up. This really can't be right. Any way to trim the input on the Xamp so it gets more input by default?

we've discussed that in an earlier thread.

there's almost no way to let the x-amp's clip led light up.
boost the signal after your dac to taste and your fine.
btw, i boost after the x-amp! it's asymmetric, i know, but i don't get a lot of noise.

when i bought the x-amp, i thought that i just have to plug it in and everything would be fine. it's not like that, but the sound and level i get now matches the original guitar.

ProRMP-medium.jpg
>
XAmp-small.jpg

Mwahahahah. ZERO problems with my ProRMP, the differences (live vs. reamped, which can be heard in a comparison test - search) are negligible in a mix. Glad I didn't spend the extra money...

~006

Hi!
I have the Answer for you.
I´ve had the same problem with my X-amp using cubase an a a delta 1010.
Ive mailed Radial and got the answer that they know that its an issue with som DAW´s and they have a mod for it.
So i contacted Luthman ( the swedish distributor ). And they made the mod for me charge free.
Luthman hadn´t heard of the mod but contacted they Radial guy i´ve got the answer from and got all the info they needed to make the mod for me.

Now it works perfect.

Good Luck!

I dont know. Luthman contacted Radial for the mod.
Contact radial and they can tell you what to do.

Well the answer i had to give was that Radial know all about the gain issue and have made a mod to fix it.
And the way i solved it. The fact that i dont know how to do the mod myself dosent take away the answer.

Its a gain issue and its fixable if he just contacts Radial.

Get it?