yamaha or m-audio monitors

Rupturemetal

I am rape-I am hate
Aug 25, 2006
Bama,U.S.A
Yamaha hs series or m-audio bx5a's. Just bought a bunch of gear and I'm low on money, so which ones should I get. Let me hear your opinions please.

I recently bough the yamys hs50m. great monitors but already returned them to get the hs80m for the extra omph.

The M-audio's only had a chance to hear the 8" passive one (BX8?) in a friend's studio. Didn't like them because of the muddy bass and huge hole in the mids.

the new ones are suppose to sound better according to the reviews.

good luck!

I have auditioned many monitors, including the ones mentioned. For what it's worth, the Bx8a monitors sounded the flatest and were most representative of the sound. So, I ended up with the Bx8a monitors. Another big influence will be the room and where the monitors are placed. Good luck!

yamaha makes quality shit, period. guitars, drums, keys, etc.

most people overlook yammy stuff because it doesn't really have the cool factor associated with other companies that sponsor everyone who asks.

their "value" priced stuff always impresses me, and their quality control is amazing for a company their size.

You might also want to consider Event ASP-8 monitors. Not only are they clean, they translate into the real world very well. IMO, that's the most important point of a monitor. Check the hires player on my myspace page (link is in my signature). Most of the stuff on there was mixed with the Events.

You might also want to consider Event ASP-8 monitors. Not only are they clean, they translate into the real world very well. IMO, that's the most important point of a monitor. Check the hires player on my myspace page (link is in my signature). Most of the stuff on there was mixed with the Events.
+1

I was very close the buying hs80's because they're really paper flat. But... they don't offer nearly as much detail as the asp8's and don't have enough low end. Been very happy with my asp8s.

I have the hs50's too... great ns10 style monitor.

On the topic of Event, do any of you guys know the difference between the Reference 8 and the Reference 8XL? Their website and sweetwater are both entirely uninformative

On the topic of Event, do any of you guys know the difference between the Reference 8 and the Reference 8XL? Their website and sweetwater are both entirely uninformative

the xls have a higher watt amp which makes them louder. i believe thats the biggest difference between the two. if you want LOUD go with the xl. the regular tr8s get fairly loud. the asp8s blow them away and ive owned them all including the tr5s as well. save alittle longer and get the best monitor you can so you dont have to upgrade as quickly. good luck.