Yay I'm Going to Israel!

NickNack

Queen of the Universe
Nov 22, 2006
Nottingham UK
www.myspace.com
I know it's not news to Folklore and Paradoxile, but I still need to spread the excitment (just watch I'll get all excited and then there'll be an airline screwup or something). It's only two weeks in April, but still exciting :Smokin:

What do I need to do when I get there? I am not a decision maker, I am pretty much useless at motivation (unless it's the motivation to drink).

the wailing wall, haifa, tel aviv(dinner at agadir and the dungeon), jaffa flea market and aboulafia, mini israel, latroun monestary

so much to see

SWEET!!!! And I missed Epica when they were in Israel- major bummer! But mostly Yannick and me miss our friends.

Please note the following for a visit to Israel; Yaffa which the oldest part of Tel Aviv, I mean truly ancient, its on the beach of the city. The Aboulafia bakery that was mentioned before is just a 15 minute walk from there and if its too much in the heat of the day you can have a nice lemonana on one of the cool beach clubs near. Dont forget to walk along the promenade of the Tel Aviv beach and have a look at the beautiful old mosk there.

Downtown Tel Aviv I recommend the Florentine living area, which is an old neighbourhood where Kobi lives. If you head to the record shop there or the Lennys bar you are most likely to bump into him and his circle of friends. The flea market is near there too.

Then ofcourse the old city of Jerusalem is a wonderful place to find yourself. And not only visit the wailing wall but also the Al Aqsa mosk which gives you a great view on the mountains around Jerusalem and the mount of Olives. Do take care that the site is closed at certain hours and on fridays. Furthermore the new city of Jerusalem is a nice place at night with many musicians and buzzing with life- if the weather permits it, because winter in Jerusalem is much colder than in Tel Aviv. Near the bus station of Jerusalem there is a wonderful market where you can have great bargains and eat the best cookies in the world. Although walking from the busstation down Jaffa road to the city center is a hassle at the moment because the place looks like a warzone- asone of my friendsliving in Jerusalem put it. It has nothing to do with the current political situation, but because they are constructing a light rail to the old city walls.What a fucking shame to ruin the streets for that!
By the way shopping in Jerusalem is damn cheap! There are many cool small stores and prices are better because the population of Jerusalem is on average teh poorest of Israel. Even during sale times the prices are like 20 procent less than in Tel Aviv.
There is a cool hostel in the center of new Jerusalem just across from Zion square by the way.

From Jerusalem you can easily take a bus to the spa site on the Dead Sea coast. It takes you about 1.5 hour and is cheap and a must do. Whilst traveling you pass through a beautiful landscape and teh coaches are airco, comfi and cheap. You can also choose to go a little further on and visit the Masada site. I recommend that one too- magnificent view and a meeting with history! Cant describe the feeling you get there really. But the spa thing on the Dead Sea is also great. It is a moon like landscape out there. Entrance to the site will be around 50 shekel and you can geat cheap massage there. Mudbath, towel and pool and drive to the sea shore are included. Its about 2 minute with a golf car like thingy, because in the summer the pavement is too hot to walk on. Do remember to buy some plastic shoes in the city to wear in the water. To prevent your feet get hurt from the salt crystals.

Another cool thing you could do is take a bus to Safed, the ancient Kaballa capital in the mountains. A truly spiritual encounter and again a wonderful drive. It looks like Yaffa a bit, but is slightly larger. From there you find yourself in the region of Haifa, where you can visit the Baiha holy place and its stunning gardens.

Another choice is to take a train from Tel Aviv to Akko, ancient Roman port. There you can stroll in the center with an ancient market and many more hisorical sites.

Damn, Im writing a book here. Its just that there is so much to see really. If I were you I would pick 4 or 5 and not more places to go and really explore the sites instead of trying to do it all in one holiday and never really get the feel of the place since you are then always in a hurry. Never mind me; I have been in Israel for a total of about 5 months during several visits and so I could travel all over the place.

Anyway: you WILL fall in love with the country and its people, for sure. And not forgetting the food; my o my!

If you want any info, do not hesitate to contact me ok? I recommend you look up some stuff on teh net in advance so you know about trains, buses and opening hours.

Have a great trip!

PS One last tip; night life in Tel Aviv- visit the Zamir club. They play metal and its the hangout of many of my friends.

I think I cursed myself saying that something bad was going to happen. I book this flight and then I find out that I'm being made redundant, and the last day of my job is the day after I fly out. Not being one to give up I'm changing my return date and am currently in the process of selling myself to the kibbutz volunteer centre. Whoop! Now I can do everything (if I employ the fine art of couch surfing).

Yop mate, looks like you jinxed it...
What a shame to hear about your job. But yes, this is an opportunity for you as well to take some extra time. I hope you'll make it finance wise. Kibbutz is a good idea to keep the cost low. I must say I never tried it myself, because as far as I know those kibbutz places only have foreigners and I always wanted to mingle with Israelis. I have been to a kibbutz where there were only Israelis living, but I was a guest at someone's house and so didnt need to do any work. Furthermore is was a modern place where not everyone was working at the kibbutz anymore.
If you manage to land yourself a place at a kibbutz up north you are lucky, because this is a very beautiful part of the country. And in case you are north you really ought to go see Safed! Good luck and keep us posted- pics please!

- small update-
forgot that Kobi is no longer living in the area of Tel Aviv I mentioned. Still its worth while to go check it out if you got the time.

Nathalie you read my mind, I'm really hoping to get a placement in the north and Safed is on the list of places I must see at least once in my life.

Flying out in just over a week, I wish I could stay for longer but real life keeps getting in the way.

Nathalie....I heard Lonely Planet are searching people.... :)

can you arrange tours in hebrew also?

Thanks for the vote of confidence my friend, by my Hebrew is still in the ' baby' stages :oops: haven't been a good student I'm afraid. Would love to guide pple around the place though- just cause I'm so enthousiastic about it. I'm doing just that currently- but through email for a friend who is visiting Israel for the first time. I'm getting him some introductions here and there and gave him a list of 'must see'

Thanks for the vote of confidence my friend, by my Hebrew is still in the ' baby' stages :oops: haven't been a good student I'm afraid. Would love to guide pple around the place though- just cause I'm so enthousiastic about it. I'm doing just that currently- but through email for a friend who is visiting Israel for the first time. I'm getting him some introductions here and there and gave him a list of 'must see'

the language isn't that important....you know you can manage in here speaking only english....
but really.....it seems like you can make tours in Israel to israelis....
I remember you telling Epica about places I've never been before...

and of course....walking with you in Tel Aviv is like walking with a local guy....every 5 minutes you meet someone you know....!
:lol:

oy oy- va voi! stop it with the compliments! It's just that I have been damn lucky to have had the opportunity to walk about by myself for many months. I guess lots of people like you who have to go to work every day don't really have time for that. Speaking of Epica; Simone told me 'Israel wasn't the same wihout me'. How cute is that? Guess she missed her personal shopper.:loco:
I'm still trying to talk Yannick into a holiday in Israel around the fall.... will keep you posted.

And to NickNack- a damn good flight to you! If you need any help when you are back there- just post in the forum ok :)