Year 2012 / Time is speeding up!?

I just want to thank Satori, and to a greater extent, Wolff for given me a great laugh.

That time slowing down thing was pretty stupid, but interesting all the same. Wolff's remonstrations were even more interesting!

It's lightened my day.

Don't let me interrupt your arguing, but...
I think it's pretty obvious (given the "intellectual" topics posted today) that everybody got a fresh um..boner?.. from the metalmanics board discussing whether Opeth fans have higher IQs. :D Sure.. lets talk about the universe, mind and body, even the theory of colors! hehehe... sorry but I think you would have flunked kindergarden if you didn't know your primary colors enough to pick up the "yellow" crayon when you saw a picture of the sun to color...they pay teachers for something! Surely if you had picked up a blue crayon ((even if it was your interpretation of a yellow crayon)) it would have been brought to your and your parents attention long, long ago. You'd either have been diagnosed as really 'off-kiltered' or colorblind. But if you're still not sure you've got it right by now please seek help as you're missing out on the :) ..rainbows!!!

No offense I just think it's funny. Yes, Yes I know you're always this smart but today was a bit over the top I think. And now to argue about it ..thats whats annoying. Thats what the demise of the mailing list was. People can't say one damn thing without being blasted by some know it alls and everything turns into a fight. It gets old....!

I personally don't mind the off-topic posts, I usually read them when Im chillin out (or bored sometimes) and I find some of them interesting (like the aura one today just got me to thinking and doing a bit of research). I mean I love Opeth and I wish there were more relevant posts too. Surely they'll be some news update on the site soon...mabye then we'll be able to talk about some concerts and who know what else..... :loco:

Originally posted by rummtummy
I think it's pretty obvious (given the "intellectual" topics posted today) that everybody got a fresh um..boner?.. from the metalmanics board discussing whether Opeth fans have higher IQs.

Er, I'm pretty sure that the very majority of us Opeth forum habitants DON'T read the metalmaniacs board, nor gets a boner from some discussion like that. I don't know how long you've been reading this forum, but pretty much from the very beginning there have been this kind of "intellectual" threads.

Surely if you had picked up a blue crayon ((even if it was your interpretation of a yellow crayon)) it would have been brought to your and your parents attention long, long ago. You'd either have been diagnosed as really 'off-kiltered' or colorblind.

Nah, you have managed to miss the point.

In general, I'm saddened to see that this board, just like every single one I've been reading over the days I've been browsing the net, has become, to modifiedly quote: "too big for its own good". All along, I knew it was just a matter of time.

Orchid-
Don't flatter yourself by trying to make it look like I "missed the point" on everything. You're the one that missed the point of what I was saying! If you (and some others on this board) had an once of a sense of humor you wouldn't take everything so critical and personal and be so quick to judge that I'm a moron and Opeth's current popularity has anything to do with the fact that yesterday there was a quick influx of these mind-bender posts. I've been a fan of Opeth since the beginning of their career..and I've been on this board message board from the start so I know the"normal" discussions here. The fact that you (and many other fans) have some undying urge to prove that you're the most intellectual people on the planet and that any normal person can't live up to your strict expectations. I used to be friends with every Opeth fan I ever came in contact with, still am with many of the long-term ones....we were more interested in their amazing songs and what they were doing for us musically, mentally and spiritually... and trying to spread the word for those missing out. But now the word is spread and we get a bunch of snobs trying to trying to make everybody feel bad, or stupid, or that they don't understand what Opeth is about. BLAH.....
It doesn't take the "vast majority" to browse the MM board, it only takes ONE. I think that board is riduculous but I look it over from time to time to see what "the masses" are saying about Opeth these days. If you want to keep to your closed little mind and judge everything about them, or about life in general from the gospel of this board.. then fine..keep your narrow minded views. It's obvious that no one is as clever as the regular posters on this board.. so go right ahead. You have no idea about me, who I am or how much you've ticked off an otherwise very friendly person this morning.

This thread reminds me of that guy that committed "mutiny" on the board a few weeks ago.... what was his name, justinsomething?

Anyway back to the topic,

I heard about this time speeding up thing also, but i don't know what kind of proof they could have for it.

However did anyone hear that physicists have discovered that the speed of light is changing? This might not be completely accurate, but some astronomers measured the speed of a 2-million year old beam of light in a distant nebula, and it was much slower (or faster, can't remember) then the speed of light today.

So physics might actually be changing.

Any thoughts satori?

Orchid-
Don't flatter yourself by trying to make it look like I "missed the point" on everything.

Hehe, I can very safely say I don't get any kicks from thinking that everyone else is wrong and that I'm the one who's always right. My point being: I'm not flattering myself. Nor did I ever say you missed the point on everything. Just once, about the colors thread.

And yeah, you're right, I might have missed the point of what you were saying. I might have misinterpreted the message hidden in your words. I'm not ashamed to admit if I'm wrong. I would, though, like you to point out exactly how I managed to miss your point, and by how much.

The fact [is] that you (and many other fans) have some undying urge to prove that you're the most intellectual people on the planet and that any normal person can't live up to your strict expectations.

You claim to have been reading this forum from the beginning and yet you blurt out something like that?

It doesn't take the "vast majority" to browse the MM board, it only takes ONE.

Aha, so if this ONE person reads a conversation on the MM board about if Opeth fans are more intelligent than others, the UM forum Opeth fans get a massive collective mental erection?

Yeah, I am missing your point. What are you trying to say, really?

You have no idea about me, who I am or how much you've ticked off an otherwise very friendly person this morning.

Likewise: how do you have any idea about me, then? You go on making assumptions based on one little remark I make about a thread and then you dub me as "that prick who thinks he's the most intelligent guy there is and who is so close minded he doesn't want to believe in anything else but his own petty views". Isn't that what just happened? That is at least what your post is reflecting.

I am very friendly and nice a person. Very down to earth, casual, polite, thoughtful, whereEVER I am. I don't judge anyone or anything first-handedly, or by prejudices. I don't have strong views on anything; I simply accept things the way they are, and I am very keen on learning or hearing of different aspects to everything. I don't get mad if someone doesn't believe me or mocks me or looks down to me. I don't get pissed off if someone says I'm wrong and starts pouring his views on me. But I do tend to get worked up if someone thinks (s)he knows me or what I'm like. Very few people do.

Maybe you shouldn't click on a post that says "Time speeding up?!" That was my first thought too. It would help. Then you get posts that start out a title like “Blackwater Park reviews” and it ends up being about the sun rising every day. :lol: Hey, it happens, but not that often. I think most of the time the resulting conversation tends to be more interesting then the starting conversation. Whoever said This forum may be getting "too big for its own good". may be right. You can only have so many people that get along.

This is good.So physics might actually be changing. Any thoughts Satori? <---:lol: That’s funny. Automatically Satori’s views are requested on the strange and unusual. :) I think it’s totally possible. Change is inevitable, right?

Lynn

For all the plagued and lost.

sorry but I think you would have flunked kindergarden if you didn't know your primary colors enough to pick up the "yellow" crayon when you saw a picture of the sun to color...they pay teachers for something! Surely if you had picked up a blue crayon ((even if it was your interpretation of a yellow crayon)) it would have been brought to your and your parents attention long, long ago. You'd either have been diagnosed as really 'off-kiltered' or colorblind.

Sorry Rummtummy but I think you did miss the point. Regardless of what color the child interprets as yellow the yellow crayon is still going to corespond with the yellow sun. If he looked at a blue crayon and saw a yellow one then the sun would actually have to be blue for him to pick that crayon.

Lets say that the child interprets yellow as red and the teacher interprets yellow as green. The child picks up a yellow crayon to draw the sun. The teacher thinks he picked a green crayon to draw the green sun and the child thinks he picked up a red crayon to draw the red sun, but everyone agrees that is the correct crayon to use when drawing the sun.

Originally posted by Wolff
Here's a scenario, and tell me how you like it:
"I'll post whatever mumbo-jumbo I find on the net, and after my 1034 message, let's see how much fun you'll have going back to a meaningful thread from 2 days ago. "

Or:
"Discuss Opeth matters in this forum, music matters in the music forum, and everything else in the general forum. Convenintly, it is hosted by the same site"

I'll choose the first option, even though you description of it is a little exaggerated, thanks,

Satori

Actually those sites have good stuff. :)
Call me "spooky" or whatever, I think this quote holds true:

"whenever scientists have had the ability to do something, they haven’t been able to resist – it is in their nature. On the other side of the coin, when there are not enough clues to solve a puzzle, when none of their predecessors have made quality in-roads, they have rattled off stock answers and moved on to something easier. These unsolved mysteries are typically of a historical nature – our scientists have been unable to observe the processes in real-time, and have chosen not to make unscientific guesses. The tasks have by default been given to the independent researchers, the untrained pseudo-scientists, the men and women with imagination, verve and daring. The rebels."

Right, I'll go back to reading and post ideas later.

Physics may very well be changing. After all, the amount of mass compared to the amount of gravity it should produce in the universe is inconsistant anyway, so maybe it's the original phsyics that aren't working.

That is, they work on earth, but in space another rule is needed which hasn't been found yet. I suppose one can only take the 'dark matter' theory so far....

Originally posted by Itay
does anyone else heard of it??
that time is speeding up?!?!

and about year 2012,
some quotes from this a website

"2. The Mayan civilization of South America was and is the most advanced in relation to time-science knowledge. Their main calendar is the most accurate on the planet. It has never erred. They actually have 22 calendars in total, covering the many timing cycles in the Universe and Solar System. Some of these calendars are yet to be revealed.

3. The Mayan fifth world finished in 1987. The sixth world starts in 2012. So we are currently "between worlds". This time is called the "Apocalypse" or revealing. This means the real truth will be revealed. It is also the time for us to work through "our stuff" individually and collectively."

"6. In 2012 the plane of our Solar System will line up exactly with the plane of our Galaxy, the Milky Way. This cycle has taken 26,000 years to complete. Virgil Armstrong also says that two other galaxies will line up with ours at the same time. A cosmic event!

7. Time is actually speeding up (or collapsing). For thousands of years the Schumann Resonance or pulse (heartbeat) of Earth has been 7.83 cycles per second, The military have used this as a very reliable reference. However, since 1980 this resonance has been slowly rising. It is now over 12 cycles per second! This mean there is the equalivant of less than 16 hours per day instead of the old 24 hours."

i took it from those quotes from here...
http://www.2012.com.au/unlimited.html

What has been done here is they took one truth, and stretched it to fit what they wanted you to think. This is a common trick used to support wild ideas with no proof. The truth here they use is
Their main calendar is the most accurate on the planet
That is only partially true of course. Their calendar is the most accurate ever used by a major civilization as a main calendar. Scientist for years have been able to create more accurate calendars, but none of these have ever been adopted by countries, because people are stubborn, and like their calendars, even if they are inaccurate.

So they take this partial truth, and then throw a bunch of un-supported ideas with it, in an attempt to make their argument seem supported.