Yet another 'similarity'

Ikil

Sep 12, 2005
Seeing everyone is good at comparing Opeth riffs to other bands riffs, I thought I'd mention this riff.

About third or fourth riff into "When", the little acoustic riff that comes in about 1:24. That riff sounds very similar, practically identical to a riff in the Ulver song "Chapter 5: Bergtatt: Into the field chambers" which comes in about 0:50. Just disregard the solo playing in that riff though.

The 2 riffs are practically the same. Probably coincidence I say. Oh well, I found this more accurate than the thing about the end riff in 'Beneath the Mire' being 'identical' to the end riff in Meshuggah's 'Beneath' (Similar but no where near Identical, way off!)

Anyways, thought I'd bring this up. Apologies if this has been mentioned before.

Ikil

That one riff on uhhh advent is similar to "generic tension-building riff #57"

very interesting stuff here

Hmm, I take it that you are sick of people comparing riffs to? I say that judging by your comment. Well I am sick of it to, but I thought I would bring this up because these riffs actually DO sound the same compared to all those other 'sounds like this bands' riffs where they sound nothing alike.

Ikil

Ikil said:
Seeing everyone is good at comparing Opeth riffs to other bands riffs, I thought I'd mention this riff.

About third or fourth riff into "When", the little acoustic riff that comes in about 1:24. That riff sounds very similar, practically identical to a riff in the Ulver song "Chapter 5: Bergtatt: Into the field chambers" which comes in about 0:50. Just disregard the solo playing in that riff though.

The 2 riffs are practically the same. Probably coincidence I say. Oh well, I found this more accurate than the thing about the end riff in 'Beneath the Mire' being 'identical' to the end riff in Meshuggah's 'Beneath' (Similar but no where near Identical, way off!)

Anyways, thought I'd bring this up. Apologies if this has been mentioned before.

Ikil
actually that chord seems to be somewhat common. Obviously When has it. Advent also has it in one of the acoustic parts, but the notes are played in a slightly different order. Forest of October also has it, again in a bit different order. A Tenhi song also uses it.

Of course, the point I am making is, they sound the same. I'm not accusing Opeth of copying or having a whinge or anything. Just bringing it up as there has been a lot of talk on here lately about similar riffs.

Ikil