Yngview Malmsteen

I love Yngwie. He has put out some great music over the years although some of his material is questionable. I'm not too excited however by the new album - not only for the album cover but also because I don't think that Ripper Owens is the right kind of singer for Yngwie's music. I have seen him live twice and he puts on one hell of a show.

honestly, i think Yngwie's songwritting is as monotonous as Totman's, except for onloy 2 songs: Black Star and Far Beyond the Sun. But Yngwie is the most innovative guitar player EVER.

I'd probably (only just) rate him as one of the few musical geniuses among the likes of Freddie Mercury, David Gilmour, Prince and Donald Fagen. Big call but I'll stand by it.

I know that Malmsteen is Romeo's maybe biggest influence, but what do you think of him? I myself haven't heard that much of his stuff, but I listened to him guest on Derek Sherinian's "Blood of the Snake" album. I have mixed feelings about his playing there. Too much shredding, but there are a few good solos. He is pretty unpopular figure in the US it seems, ever since he slagged off the American culture in an interview long ago.

Malmsteen slagged American culture? He lives in Miami and from what I've read he loves the U.S.

YNGWIE MALMSTEEN: America Is 'The Greatest Country On Earth'
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=113461

YNGWIE MALMSTEEN On Living In USA: 'I Would Go And Fight And Die For This Country'
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=112106

I have been a fan of Malmsteen since I heard Alcatrazz in 1983. He's a great guitarist, but he's not the songwriter that Romeo is.

True. This style was obviously perfected a long time ago up to the late 18th century. Now it becomes great again when integrated and played by guys like the great Michael Romeo.

^You've gotta admit though that that Panagiotis Stergiou is better than Yngwie Malmsteen though, for a few reasons. First of all, the music of bouzouki players should not be judged by that video as it was mainly a classical technique demonstration. Second of all, an acoustic bouzouki is far harder to play than an electric guitar. Just holding the thing without dropping it is a nightmare on its own. If you play the instrument you know what I mean! And these expert bouzouki players can play it standing up! With no strap! Holding the instrument this way is an amazing feat alone! The picking and fingering technique is much cleaner than Malmsteen's too, as demonstrated by players like Romeo with his legato techniques. I know Malmsteen plays an acoustic guitar too but in general his mistakes are sometimes masked by the heavy vibrato and distortion effect that he uses. Also keep in mind that it is harder to alternate pick on a bouzouki than a guitar as all the strings are doubled in pairs and many times the picking is done across four strings (two courses) at once.

Also check this one out. It's more creative and interesting. Amazing bouzouki player as well.

Last edited by a moderator: