yo i write for a pretentious indie website now

To be honest, I've never found much depth or significance in any of these pretentious, pseudo-intellectual reviews. As is the case with many of them, they seemingly serve not as a review but rather to showcase the writer's ability to make use of meaningless metaphors, and paragraphs full of redundant information while being as overly-descriptive as possible. I'm not saying they are bad writers but I just don't understand the appeal of this, it's just total cliche nonsense.

For a common example, if I'm reading a review for an album I could care less if the album boasts a mish-mash of this or dollops of that, and a little extra wallop for additional seasoning and flavour etc. - how many times have I seen shit like that? This is utterly usesless information that takes very little talent.

i consider the role of the reviewer to be dual: to alert people to the existence of quality work they might not otherwise be aware of, and to provide an interpretive framework for the work that allows greater appreciation of it