You ask ; WHAT CAN I DO TO PROMOTE MY MUSIC???

MEGALOUD

The Nightmare Has Begun..
This is something I received from Derek Sivers, the guy that created CDbaby today, this is something all independent artists, and even small label artists and labels should be reading and expounding on, download it, read it, and discuss ideas around this if you like here in my forum thread, or with the creators directly, but implement as much of this as you can, as I will and already do.

Instead of a blog post, today I point you to something better:

Ariel Hyatt of Ariel Publicity just released a great free PDF/ebook collecting the best advice on how a musician can get maximum exposure in 2009:

http://www.hypebot.com/IndieMaxExpFinal.pdf

Download, read and use some of the ideas in there. Enjoy!

--
Derek Sivers derek@sivers.org http://sivers.org

Here are the biggest mistakes many bands make when trying to become successful:

Mistake #1: Most bands focus either on the wrong things, tiny insignificant things or no specific things at all.

Mistake #2: Most bands put a lot of effort into their music (which is good), but very little effort into the many other critical elements needed to make it in the music business.

Mistake #3: Most bands don't think of their band as a 'business' and therefore don't run it like a business. Of course being in a band is about having fun and creating great music, but fact is, in order to be successful in the music business, you need to run your band operations like a business.

Mistake #4: Most bands have a fundamental misunderstanding about what record companies look for, and expect from, new bands. This misunderstanding puts bands on the wrong path.

Mistake #5: Most bands severely underestimate the importance of their image. Yes, music is about 'music', but music business success is about a total package which includes music, image, visual stage show among other things which need to be fully developed in a congruent way. (This is where the term "Artist Development" comes from!)

Mistake #6: Most bands' live show is mediocre at best. The music might be good, but a live 'show' requires more than great music. If people only wanted to hear the music, they would save their money and listen to the music at home. Both fans and record labels want (and expect) to see a REAL show. Neglecting this area results in talented bands quickly forgotten.

Mistake #7: Most bands falsely believe that the number of 'fans' they have is the holy grail for success. The fact is, it is not the number of 'fans' which matters most, it's the number of FANATICS which will contribute more directly to your success (or lack of it). Bands need to focus more effort on converting existing fans into raving fanatics of the band.

Mistake #8: Most bands do not understand nor have an effective music marketing strategy to promote their band. Without this you will continue to struggle.

Mistake #9: Most bands who do work on becoming successful typically focus on 'getting their name and music out there'. Their objective is to be seen and heard as much as possible. The biggest mistake is these bands usually do little or nothing to become totally unforgettable!

Source ( Rockbandsuccess ) by: Alex Staropoli, Tom Hess, and Draven Grey

I'm with you Megaloud. I saw a band open for Heathenfest last night that was great, but they really seemed like they just wanted to stand there and play some metal and hoped it went over well. NOT the way to get your music going.

I hope to have a few different bands in the future (for my different musical ways, since I shouldn't shove thirty genres into one group) and I've already been thinking about what I will need to do to get them going and keep them alive.

Only thing is, you point out the mistakes that bands make but don't offer the correct method.

Here are the biggest mistakes many bands make when trying to become successful:

Mistake #1: Most bands focus either on the wrong things, tiny insignificant things or no specific things at all.

What kinds of insignificant things might a band get hung up on?

Mistake #2: Most bands put a lot of effort into their music (which is good), but very little effort into the many other critical elements needed to make it in the music business.

Mistake #4: Most bands have a fundamental misunderstanding about what record companies look for, and expect from, new bands. This misunderstanding puts bands on the wrong path.

What sort of critical elements? Image, business aspect/marketing, interacting with fans? And what might a label be looking for, other than of course a band that will make them lots of dollars?

Mistake #5: Most bands severely underestimate the importance of their image. Yes, music is about 'music', but music business success is about a total package which includes music, image, visual stage show among other things which need to be fully developed in a congruent way. (This is where the term "Artist Development" comes from!)

Mistake #6: Most bands' live show is mediocre at best. The music might be good, but a live 'show' requires more than great music. If people only wanted to hear the music, they would save their money and listen to the music at home. Both fans and record labels want (and expect) to see a REAL show. Neglecting this area results in talented bands quickly forgotten.

I've seen plenty of local bands with no stage show, and others that do their damndest to wow the crowd for their full half hour of playing. Aside from metal outfits, headbanging/thrashing and maybe a few posters with their logo, what else can an unsigned band with limited cash do to put on a SHOW as opposed to just a setlist?

Mistake #8: Most bands do not understand nor have an effective music marketing strategy to promote their band. Without this you will continue to struggle.

What would be an "effective music marketing strategy" in todays metal world? I notice many bands today have a sticker on their CD that reads "If you are a fan of Band X, Band Y, or Band Z, you will like this album/this album is a must for you!"

I've been reading a guide for new bands built online by a veterans that I know in the industry, I recommend all bands read this, it's free, and they offer some other more detailed information for sale via the course. But you can learn a lot from their online FREE course if you really do it. This should answer most of your questions, if you still have questions, please post them here and I'll do what I can to answer these as a musician that has been making a living at the business of music for 29 years.

http://tomhess.net/RockBandSuccess.aspx

For a little on me, check
www.myspace.com/lancekingvox
www.twitter.com/lancekingvox
www.facebook.com/lancenightmarerecords
www.NightmareRecords.com