you ever think finding new music is a 24 hour a day job?

I've only been listening to metal for about a year now. I'm pretty much overwhelmed with all the good metal that is out there. I'm still missing a lot of essential CDs but I've turned my focus mainly on whats getting released now. Being mostly into thrash its kinda nice to see a thrash revival has been going on. I've got about half a subject notebook of bands I want to listen to.

http://www.thethrashmetalguide.com/A.html#A

This has been a great site as it provides the Myspace and official site links next to the band.

I find that the best form of musical enjoyment comes from listening to albums over looong periods of time, getting to know the work so intimately, you might as well have written it yourself. Of course, that's a double-edged sword, as you might invest huge amounts of time in one album that you initially like, only to find that it is, ultimately, unrewarding.

Yes, I go through that a lot.

The thing that I hate is when I get too much music at one time I will only get into the beginning parts of albums before changing them out. I may get so much stuff that I don't even get to listen to an album at all before finding something I would rather move on to. I listen to so much music that it's almost impossible to absorb an entire album unless it's a stellar album I will want to listen to like crazy. I can easily listen to an album 10 times & barely absorb what's really going on. Some stuff may be "good" or a "genre staple" but that doesn't mean that it's going to hold my attention through an album. It's also hard to absorb an album any time I'm not driving & blasting it.

It's a good feeling when that happens.

I've been a music junkie as far back as I can remember. I used to tape videos off of Headbangers Ball when Riki Rachtman was still around. I'm an old fuck for sure, but my neverending hunt for music keeps me occupied. It never gets old.

I did this too! Used to make mix VHS tapes of awesome metal videos..and back then, they sometimes played metal videos during the day on MTV so I didn't have to wait until Saturday night to sit in front of the tv to record shit.

Like someone else said, I also don't have an older sibling who was into the music or friends with that taste so discovering new music and researching bands has always been on my own shoulders...but I love it. I get a sense of satisfaction once I hear something for the first time that really blows me away. :)

It's all worth it, when he hear something new and AWESOME, sometimes it takes more than one day to find it and discover it, but it's all worth it.

I find that the best form of musical enjoyment comes from listening to albums over looong periods of time, getting to know the work so intimately, you might as well have written it yourself. Of course, that's a double-edged sword, as you might invest huge amounts of time in one album that you initially like, only to find that it is, ultimately, unrewarding.

And then there's also the risk of growing weary of a great album.

I got into metal a few years ago, but only into extreme metal very recently. My collection is fairly large but I admit that only part of it is aquired legally. Some of it I've barely even listened to, and there's very little I know as intimately as I should. Even among my favourite bands, I'm not entirely familiar with their entire discographies - the exceptions can be counted on one hand, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Machinae Supremacy, Strapping Young Lad and almost Sigh.

Luckily, my discovery of new music is halted for an unspecified amount of time because I'm out of both money and HD space. It's partially a good thing, kinda like how all those recent power blackouts have helped me catch up on my reading.

If I listen to an album a lot, then that means that I probably won't get bored of. And if I do, I will come back to it.

Now that I download less, I don't spend all that much time looking. I hit my blogs up once a day see if anything new comes out and then reading a few boards will let me know.

How ironic.
My friends listen only to popular music, you know, such as This List and the last thing they want is recommendations from me. For them, if its not popular, it prolly sux. This logic fails miserably when it comes to music.

But leaving that aside, i do feel kinda lost when it comes to music. I mean, i have soooooooooo many bands to check out, that it would take me a life time to listen to it all...be it rap or brutal death metal, every genre has something good to offer.

I try to find new music, but there's a lot of crap out there so it is a pain to weed through it to find the good stuff.. but I'm always looking, trying to get one of my friends more into metal (his favorite band is Def Leppard, heh)

Some myspace bands are pretty good.

Then I know people who think a7x, KSE, etc - are godly.

Now that I'm a reviewer for The Metal Observer, however, I'll have access to the year's latest music for free, legally, so some of the pressure is lifted to keep up to date, and I can put more concentration on acquiring music from prior years.

Sorry off-topic, but how come there are no Burzum reviews at Metal Observer? Seems a bit weird since the early Mayhem albums are reviewed.

Sorry off-topic, but how come there are no Burzum reviews at Metal Observer? Seems a bit weird since the early Mayhem albums are reviewed.

The site doesn't review any bands associated with extreme ideologies, namely NS. They put Burzum into that category along with bands like Nokturnal Mortum and Sunwheel.

The reason for this is that the site is also published fully in German for that country, which prohibits any promotion or press relating to Nazism and the like.

The site doesn't review any bands associated with extreme ideologies, namely NS. They put Burzum into that category along with bands like Nokturnal Mortum and Sunwheel.

The reason for this is that the site is also published fully in German for that country, which prohibits any promotion or press relating to Nazism and the like.

aha! makes sense

Oh wow... that sucks, but I guess I understand.
What's your review name over there? I visit the site frequently, and it would be cool to know. :)

jeremys3.gif

I do listen to a lot of the same stuff, but that's probably because
the process of waiting for newly discovered albums to "click" can be so frustratingly long, that I'd rather just listen to old favorites.
It's like putting on a pair of old slippers-- they may be worn with age, but they're so comfy and every crack in the fabric feels so familiar that you won't trade them for a new pair no matter what. Ah, yes, favorite albums: every tempo change, every vocal line is forever etched into your brain. Gotta love it!

I have been burning out on a lot of BM I used to like, though. Just not really in the mood for this type of music all that often.

me personally, i rarely come across bands that i love. this is due to this thing in my head that tells me, "if i wouldn't have done it that way, it sucks". kinda inconvinient when finding new bands but when i do find a band i like, i have to learn every little detail about them

I have a friend, my only friend who likes metal, that is so particular in his tastes that providing him with new music is pointless. I actually find it to be incredibly frustrating, but whatever...

My story is a combination of a few others. While I got into metal around 2000, my CD purchases were few and far between. It has only been for the last 2 1/2 years that I have been making regular purchases. My musical interests really include all metal genres, which leaves me with a lot of shit to catch up on. I am still only in the "purchase the essentials" mode, but reviewing CDs has increased my exposure quite dramatically.

Most of my time, though, is occupied with browsing forums, reading reviews, and checking myspace profiles.

I don't think that I spend much time these days actively seeking out new bands. It seems that most new bands that I listen to at this point I've just stumbled upon through normal channels. At this point, my musical palette is very highly refined and tuned, meaning that I know what I'm looking for, so I don't really have the 'weeding through the crap' problem.