You know what I miss...

Yep, they were the days, metal wasnt over analysed (unless you were a xtian) it was just metal. I try to avoid soley on the basis of cover art these days for the reasons previously stated. Most stuff I buy now is 80's/90's I lost (or never got round to owning) and need to find again - so i'm still seeing the cool covers!

I found alot of the music I listen this way, I do not do it as much lately though. Probably because I can get a new cd every couple weeks just by getting new or other cd's from bands I already know. Knowing your record labels helps alot in buying on a whim. I am also fortunate enough to have a decent independant record store close by that knows how to categorize as well, just have be careful of the new hardcore stuff. I would also agree that buying to many at once can take away from cds and you miss out. I occasionally put the cd players on random just to find the good ones
I forgot or did not realize I had.

I've bought hundreds this way, it all started with Suffocation-Effigy of the forgotten and Sepultura-Beneath the remains!! The last one I did it with was Windir-Likferd, and it was worth every penny!