You'd think after 11 years I'd figure this shit out faster.... (valuable tip inside)

hmmm big difference! I may come to all your studios and loosen the screws on your cabs to get an advantage in the tone competition haha

I could also see the advantage in loosening the screws for certain "less heavy" genres.

The back panel's screws was very tight on my Marshall, but I found many screws loose in the front baffle and in the speakers. The bad thing is that I can't tighten some of these screws because they turn free.......

Around here (local music scene), a few players (myself included) always talked about how the backs on our Mesas loosened up much easier than any other cabs we had. About evey 6 months, I'd lay my down and sit on the back baffle while I tightened the screws. Sure enough, they were always loose.

IIRC, my cab didn't have any retainer or washers for the screws, they just screwed directly in, surrounded only by the baffle's tolex. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Yeah.. when i first miced up my Harley Benton 4*12 V30, i was like "WTF!??!".
Sounded like complete mud.. so i ended up using impulses on my recordings instead.

Then just thought i should check the screws, and sure enough, there was the problems.
Loosened up the back, checked the screws for the speakers = Loose as fuck, tight enough so that the speakers wouldnt rattle around, but loose enough to sound like shit.. so i tightened those.
Then i put the back on, tightened the screws, next check: the handles = Loose as fuck too! Put some electrical tape on the back of the handle to get an airtight seal, screwed those suckers back hard.

Then i miced it up again and tryed it out, and it sounded awesome!
I think that 99% of the people who dislike the sound of the HB-cabs is because of this.. shared it with some people on a Swedish guitar forum, and they loved how it sounded after that! :)

So do we reckon tightness of the cab's to the baffle makes a difference too then? Looks like I'm taking my cabs apart and tightening everything!

This would actually make alot of sense as to why more expensive cabs sound better than cheaper ones. Better quality control in and construction resulting in all the screws being tighter!

:ill:

That's why I don't buy Marshall cabinets.

Yes they are really bad builded. I like the sound but it could be improved.
Last summer I putted glue in every side of the cab, sealing the whole front baffle. I'll try to change screws position if the turn free....
I'm also thinkin' to mount the g75t speakers in another 4x12 cab (also handbuilded)

Premonition: New Sneap forum trend called the 'Fricker Screw Mod'.

Flying%20Spaghetti%20Monster%20(8084).jpg

<cue the ominous music>

So they didn't tighten the screws when they changed the blown speaker? Or did you change it yourself, which would be pretty ironic... ;)

But seriously, who would have thought about.

I changed the cabinet for a new one. The original had a torn grill cloth the buzzed, so I figured, "Hey, it's under warranty, I'll just replace the whole thing!"

Little did I know that would mean months of endless 'fucking about' trying to get the new cab to sound good.