You'd think after 11 years I'd figure this shit out faster.... (valuable tip inside)

Notuern is talking about speakers mounted on the baffle, whereas I'm talking about the back panel that should be air tight.

Yeah, i mentioned the back piece as well, but on the HB-cabs the speakers seem to be the main issue.
Also, did you check the handles on it? They might let some air out as well.

One last clip... this time with dual mics pulled out to 5 inches distance from the cab...
mesacab.jpg

I'm really beginning to like miking cabs from a distance... the top end is smoother & the bottom isn't nearly as obnoxious.
Clip at five inches

Bloody hell that sound is ace!!

Haha, i might be a beginner and have a untrained ear but i think the before.wav is the best sounding of all 5.

I can hear the difference very well, but i don't really like the (boomy) low end of the mesa.

Haha, i might be a beginner and have a untrained ear but i think the before.wav is the best sounding of all 5.

I can hear the difference very well, but i don't really like the (boomy) low end of the mesa.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. However, the before.wav tone can be problematic in the context of a mix. Very "buzzy" and "nasal" and can make life hell when you're trying to make a mix sound like it's from hell!

Not to mention, the before.wav clip probably has more boom than the "five inch" clip due to proximity effect.

I have a Marshall 4x12 bottom that I loaded 2 V30's and 2 G12t-75's in an X pattern, soldered everything with heavy guage wire and along with making sure the screws were tighter than shit I ran silicone beads on the speakers and the back panel. I did all this as an experiement and it is a fucking monster sounding cab. LoL I don't know if the wiring and the silicone are why or just one or the other but it's been with me since 92 or some shit, always getting the job done.

The tightened cab sure beefed up! It's amazing how much gets lost from that air leaking out the back.