You'd think after 11 years I'd figure this shit out faster.... (valuable tip inside)

I changed the cabinet for a new one. The original had a torn grill cloth the buzzed, so I figured, "Hey, it's under warranty, I'll just replace the whole thing!"

Little did I know that would mean months of endless 'fucking about' trying to get the new cab to sound good.

Glenn, you could have kept that for yourself, opening up a modding biz. "Your cab lacks punch and definition, try the new secrete 15 minutes FSM mod." ;)

I'm surprised no one asked for "tight screw" impulses so far! :lol:

Yeah.. when i first miced up my Harley Benton 4*12 V30, i was like "WTF!??!".
Sounded like complete mud.. so i ended up using impulses on my recordings instead.

Then just thought i should check the screws, and sure enough, there was the problems.
Loosened up the back, checked the screws for the speakers = Loose as fuck, tight enough so that the speakers wouldnt rattle around, but loose enough to sound like shit.. so i tightened those.
Then i put the back on, tightened the screws, next check: the handles = Loose as fuck too! Put some electrical tape on the back of the handle to get an airtight seal, screwed those suckers back hard.

Then i miced it up again and tried it out, and it sounded awesome!
I think that 99% of the people who dislike the sound of the HB-cabs is because of this.. shared it with some people on a Swedish guitar forum, and they loved how it sounded after that! :)

Could you post a clip of the HB cab? please please please

One last clip... this time with dual mics pulled out to 5 inches distance from the cab...
mesacab.jpg

I'm really beginning to like miking cabs from a distance... the top end is smoother & the bottom isn't nearly as obnoxious.
Clip at five inches

+1 to micing cabs from a distance. I figured out in about 10 minutes that the HB cab tended to sound better when I backed the mic off to about 4 inches. Doesn't work with everyone though, depending on the liveness of the room.

okay now that you've tightened up that cab etc i have a request - IS THERE ANY CHANCE OF YOU MAKING AIN IMPULSE (IR) OF THAT NEWELY TIGHTENED UP CAB????? i know im not the only mother fucker who wants it

EDIT: delay that request - i just read that your an IR retard - haha - ahh well - again amazing tone difference after tightening up those screws, good thinking dude

Could you post a clip of the HB cab? please please please

Sorry, im currently living in a small apartment and have no possibilities to record it. :erk:

Oh, and to you guys that are going to tighten the screws: DO NOT over-tighten the screws to your speakers, or you will bend the "frame" and fuck them up for all eternity!

Oh, and to you guys that are going to tighten the screws: DO NOT over-tighten the screws to your speakers, or you will bend the "frame" and fuck them up for all eternity!

Holy shit...how do we have to tighten these screws? :D Loosen make the speakers sound like shit, overtighten it's not good.
I know that a screw has to be tight very good....if the screw turns softly I continue to tight it until it becomes hard.

Holy shit...how do we have to tighten these screws? :D Loosen make the speakers sound like shit, overtighten it's not good.
I know that a screw has to be tight very good....if the screw turns softly I continue to tight it until it becomes hard.

It should be tight enough so that if you grab the magnet and pull, push and wiggle it, you shouldnt feel it moving anything.
And im sorry for not mentioning that in my original post! I was extremely tired when i posted. ;P

It should be tight enough so that if you grab the magnet and pull, push and wiggle it, you shouldnt feel it moving anything.
And im sorry for not mentioning that in my original post! I was extremely tired when i posted. ;P

Notuern is talking about speakers mounted on the baffle, whereas I'm talking about the back panel that should be air tight.