you'll hate this Mix! (Recto+5150) RAW!

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
yep, just finished the work on "Die Fischer" ( www.myspace.com/diefischer )
was fun to work on that (you already listened to 1 or 2 unfinished ruffmixes) 'cause there are 13 songs on that cd that all have a completely different feel and should be given a COMPLETELY different sound (from Reggae to Metal)...
so I used a couple of different Amps on the album (Recto w and w/o boost, 5150 w and w/o boost, JMP2203 w and w/o Hotmod, Fender DeVille, JC120, Mesa Studio Pre, VHT 2150, Mesa 295, my Sig.Amp...) and as well loads of different guitars etc....
so every song has a completely different sound...(not only guitars)...
This song was in particular was a pleasure to work at 'cause I wanted it to sound modern (not metal!) yet raw kinda somewhere between FooFighter and King's X (don't wanna say that it's got the same class !! ;))with very DARK guitars,non-metal drums, farting brass etc......

so I didn't use any boost on the amps (6505 and 2ch Recto, 1 track each) and the drums (no samples) are at least 50% roommics....(hence the "disgusting" snare ;) )....

I just thought I'd post this since it's so un-typical for me..I still like it in a way , tell me what you think. :Smokin:

So Sieht Das Aus

and I know that the guitars aren't tight in the muted parts ;)

No I think this mix is right and I like everything about it. I wouldn't change anything.

Snare is fine.
Guitars are great.
Good job man.

thanks...would have been to late anyway, finished Cd is in the plant and release is on sep.1st..

yeah, I actually do like the sound myself,too...it's just not a good sound for our usual stuff. ;)

I always try to kep some versatility...not always easy.

hehe, yep..it's a pity you don't understand the lyrics ;)
mics on guitars were sm57 and md421 on brass 414 and SPL nugget and m160 for room.
vox was sm7.
preamps: everything but drums: spl goldmike (yep, this was done with the old gear;) )
drums: dm2000

Gävin: itäs your brass-section ;)

Any special reason why you left the muted guitars untight if you noticed it?

And the singer doesn't sound too "loud" (as in high volume). Was it a problem with the sm7 - because I heard the mic needs a bit more level than others?

Any special reason why you left the muted guitars untight if you noticed it?

And the singer doesn't sound too "loud" (as in high volume). Was it a problem with the sm7 - because I heard the mic needs a bit more level than others?

we didn't wanna edit anything on thatb song....(the band didn't ;) )...
think the vox are to quiet?

No, I don't think the vocals are too quiet. :) What I was trying to say is, they don't sound like the singer was singing loudly into the mic. I might be wrong but they sound softly sung ...

Why did the band not want to correct those guitars?!?!?!?!? Or was it simply a financial issue?

no, not really a financial problem, more a time-issue, I had 10 days for the 13 songs, all 150+ tracks and none of the songs were asking for the same or even similar sound, so I couldn't use any templates..meaning 13 songs starting from scratch every song in 10 days....and the band thought "banane, geht schon, is nich so wild"...