Scar Symmetry
Dark Tranquillity
Necrophagist

Nightwish
Sonata Arctica
Symphony X
Tarot
Ayreon

those are my 5 staples and 5 definite faves. Others I might add to flesh out the list:

Dol Ammad
After Forever
Dream Evil

If this were a top 20 list i would have added Sonata. Some of Unia has grown on me, but the album still has moved them down my personal favorite list a bit. I do love the current Dream Evil album, i'm not sure if they would place for me based on one album, but they are enjoyable. Oh yeah Tarot, i kind of forgot about them (woops!), they might have made the list, replacing one of the bands near the bottom (DT or Necro).

My very tops don't change much, but numbers 5-10 can sway with the wind and more reflect my current interests...

Iron Maiden
Metallica
Megadeth
In Flames (Specifically 1995-2001)
Dream Theater
Arch Enemy
Nightwish
Children of Bodom
Slayer
Dragonforce

Of course, there's a huge amount of other bands that are current favorites like Dog Fashion Disco (go BUY their album Adultery, trust me, it's real good) Lamb of God and Lordi, but they could change anytime.

These change constantly but this is what I've been burning up my MP3 player with this year:

Nightwish (Obviously)
Turisas (I bought 'Battle Metal ' this year on a whim and loved it. The new album is even better.)
Sonata Arctica
Muse
Arch Enemy
Therion
Within Temptation
Epica
Rammstein
Wintersun (Jari Maenpaa is a guitar legend. Do they put something in the Finnish water supply to produce such stellar musicians?)

Hoping to see Turisas, WT, Sonata + Epica this year. I'm still gutted that I didn't get to see Tarot and After Forever earlier this year. Bloody Earthshaker festival...

Suffocation
Cryptopsy
DragonForce
Arch Enemy
Amon Amarth
Nightwish
Death
Iron Maiden
Symphony X
Dokken