Your amplification: please post

yeet_SAY_jama

Gobble Jo0 fetus!
Mar 21, 2003
Canada
Im looking to blow money on new amplfication. I currently have a Crate GFX 212 (Solid state 120 watt combo amp)

If im looking to go to the next level, should i go for a Head+cabinet?
Im checking out some 2x12 cabinets but is that really a large enough leap (i would like something i could gig with)?

im not sure what kind of head i should get.....

Hi!
my amplification: ENGL Savage 120 (Head) and a 4x12 cabinet (also ENGL)
i think thats the top level!
It's a great amp! 120 Watt (like the name tells;) you have 4 channels (Clean, Crunch1, Crunch2, Lead) and two master volums.
if you buy the midi interface and the right floorboard with it, you need nothing more to play a good live performance...except for your guitar ;)
there is a really good clean sound and the Lead channel kicks ass ;)
intransigent!
but you have to pay a little bit for it...

Naugladur said:
Hi!
my amplification: ENGL Savage 120 (Head) and a 4x12 cabinet (also ENGL)

but you have to pay a little bit for it...

hmm right around $200 right? (I wish ahha)

how much though?

It used to be a Marshall VS100 head with Jackson 4 X 12 (Celestion GS70M) speakers...but
I sold it all so I could pay for my new guitar...

I only have a crate GX-60 now. But it gets some decent tone. I will get a POD pro when I can afford one.

Naugladur - Does the ENGL tone ENGL leap out on you and sound so consistent over the fretboard as it does in The Odyssey?

(My dream amp might change from a Mark IIc+ type to ENGL if so :))

@yeet_SAY_jama: no, in germany i payed 1800€ for the amp and for the cabinet 600.
a little bit more expensive ;)

@Zax666: the savage 120 sounds very consistent, you can play very "dirty" with it or with "clean" accurate high gain if you want...it sounds similar to the guitars on the Odyssey record.

the amp has many possibilities to change the sound so you can play what you want...It's worth it's price!

@Naugladur - Can it do that smooth Petrucci style solo sound AND that killer tone from the begining of Scorpions - Wind Of Change? If it can do these as well, I'm sold!

@Zax666: the amp has a button with which you can choose between
rough sound and smooth sound ;) (bur only for the lead channel)
but it doesn't sound really like the petrcci lead (but i don't know if it could sound like that, because i didn't play such petrucci leads yet ;)
but why don't you check it yourself...try to find a store where you can play the savage 120.
and if you don't find, listen to these records: Rage - Unity
Primal Fear - Black Sun
and look on the engl website for infos.
and listen to that: http://home.arcor.de/na/naugladur/mit%20mikrofon/PHAT3.mp3
it's a song of me, played with the savage 120 and recorded with sure sm75 microphone
it's not the best quality...
i can only say: the savage 120 is the supplest (i hope it's the right word for that what i want to say ;)
amp i ever played on.
the rectifiers of mesa boogie sound great but only high gain...the clean sound is shit and they have no crunch channels...
try to play the savage in a store! you will be blown away ;)