Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sonar

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • StudioOne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Reply)

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
I would say definitely yes. Most notably the manner in which features are requested and implemented before you can say "Update!". Looks nicer too, imo. Fully customizeable UI.

I started this thread because I'm curious what all of you use. There seem to be a lot of self-recordists here so I wanted to gauge the percentage of PT users vs... well everybody else. : )

I have downloaded and tested Reaper and I have to say I'm liking it. I do remember briefly trying it about 3 years ago and I can see it has evolved, better than I thought.

I'll probably end up switching to it as well. Thanks. :)

Didn't switch....first dabbling into recording since a stereo cassette deck next to my amp. Our band recorded our ep on PT a few years back so i picked up (and forgot) the basics. Still gotta buy some monitors, bass, bass sansamp, mics...but i managed to get some sounds out of it with the old Pod and some drum tracks Henning Pauly sent me. Bloody hard trying to write music to a pre existing drum track....but quite fun too.

Didn't switch....first dabbling into recording since a stereo cassette deck next to my amp. Our band recorded our ep on PT a few years back so i picked up (and forgot) the basics. Still gotta buy some monitors, bass, bass sansamp, mics...but i managed to get some sounds out of it with the old Pod and some drum tracks Henning Pauly sent me. Bloody hard trying to write music to a pre existing drum track....but quite fun too.

haha good shit. :headbang:

This is how we recorded our new CD.

Drums and Bass - Protools
Guitar - Logic
Vocals - Reaper
Keys - Sonar
Mixed and Mastered - Protools

Drums and bass were the only thing recorded in a studio, everyone else recorded at their own home.

Exported all as WAV 48K 24Bit each song had a specific length of dead time for a count in click.

Drums and Bass were recorded first in PT, guitarist was there any played along with them in the studio as scratch tracks, I also played with where scratch keys were needed. Afterwards our Guitarist took the PT sessions exported them as wav and recorded his tracks in his software then sent the rest of us a rough mix. The singer and I both recorded our tracks based on those tracks. For me I just imported in the stereo wav file and just recorded straight in there without a click track, it was kind of a pain without the click but it was do-able. We sent each other tracks of our progress and in some cases we changed up what we were doing as we went along. When we were all done we exported our tracks as WAV and the engineer had a "fun time" importing in all those wavs from CDs, DVDs, and thumbdrives into PT.

For the next CD we have already talked about using a midi file for click track and using that the for the basis of the song then insert the scratch wav files on top of that. We have also talked about doing all the wav imports in PT on our side to help reduce studio time $$ with the engineer.

You know that most DAWS have an Export as Stem which automatically adds the right amount of blank space at the beginning. It makes all the files the same length.

You know that most DAWS have an Export as Stem which automatically adds the right amount of blank space at the beginning. It makes all the files the same length.

In Sonar you press CTRL+A then when exporting then select Source Category as Tracks and it will export each track individually at the same length so when you import they all line up.

Getting tracks out of protools is a PAIN in the butt cause it doesnt support offline export and you have to play the song in order to export the file. This video has a work around:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Reaper. Good UI and frequent updates is what I like about it. FL Studio has some stuff that I like too, but everything seems so effortless in Reaper. It has its downsides, but it gets better in every update!

Ok so having used Reaper for months now (also used Sonar and FL in the past), I'm going back to Cubase. Reaper is awesome actually but to me doesn't beat Cubase. The switch back made me realize how comfortable I am using Cubase; it really is my DAW of choice.

As for Protools, I've always disliked that one.