Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sonar

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • StudioOne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Reply)

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
really Cubase? Which version of Reaper were you using, and which version of Cubase? I can't imagine why anyone would go back to slow update (that you have to pay for, in some cases) and an inflated price with bundled junk included...

I've been using version 3.65 of Reaper and 5 of Cubase. Will update to 6 soon, it's looking good. Version 4 of Reaper is looking good too but imo not as good as Cubase 6 (I'm aware of its availability as an alpha release but I haven't tried that tbh). Frequent updates are not that big a plus for me if the releases are stable enough. Call me crazy but I don't like to have to constantly update, especially if everything is working damn well. You're right on the price thing. Like I said though, I'm just pretty conformable with the whole thing especially workflow-wise and in terms of channel linking, but also feature-wise (vsti rack, music notation, channel features with the EQ etc.) and resource management (Cubase seemed to manage my pc resources slightly better).

In Sonar you press CTRL+A then when exporting then select Source Category as Tracks and it will export each track individually at the same length so when you import they all line up.

Getting tracks out of protools is a PAIN in the butt cause it doesnt support offline export and you have to play the song in order to export the file.

I'm curious, when you export those tracks in Sonar does it include the effects (verb, delay, etc) in the new file or does it just make a dry track?

For those with PT and are curious about making stems without having to bounce each one at a time there are 2 ways going about this:
  1. If you recorded a track and have many regions during your recording you can "Consolidate Region" (Shift+Alt+3) which you select anywhere in the track at any beginning (to include dead space if you like)and it will make a new region and wave file in your audio folder of your session. Once it does this the new region will be highlighted in the region window. The process is very fast. The downside to this is that it makes a dry track and won't include any plugin effects you have on the track.
  2. The video touches this next step but it can go further. For each track you want to make a stem of you should make the same number of new Ausio tracks. On each of these Audio tracks you should make the inputs from the PT buses(1-24 etc). Let's say your original track is Lead guitar 1 and you want to make a stem of it. On Lead Guitar 1's output you change it to whatever Audio track's you are recording to is (ex bus 1). Rename the Audio track to let's say Guitar Lead Stem. Select what you want from Lead Guitar 1 track and then Arm the Audio track and record. This will give you a new region and wave file name Lead Guitar stem. This seems slow as a bounce but if you want to record 8 stems at once with 8 other tracks you can without having to record one at a time.
This was all off the top of my head so sorry if I didn't explain it in more detail....

I've been using version 3.65 of Reaper and 5 of Cubase. Will update to 6 soon, it's looking good. Version 4 of Reaper is looking good too but imo not as good as Cubase 6 (I'm aware of its availability as an alpha release but I haven't tried that tbh). Frequent updates are not that big a plus for me if the releases are stable enough. Call me crazy but I don't like to have to constantly update, especially if everything is working damn well. You're right on the price thing. Like I said though, I'm just pretty conformable with the whole thing especially workflow-wise and in terms of channel linking, but also feature-wise (vsti rack, music notation, channel features with the EQ etc.) and resource management (Cubase seemed to manage my pc resources slightly better).
Cubase manages resources better? That'd be surprising. Reaper has the smallest footprint - no bundled junk and no dongle bs.

You should give the beta 4 a try. It's probably more stable than the other DAWs out. I'm a former Cubase user and I will never look back.

Yep, Cubase handles my resources pretty well. The dongle seems to have no influence and I'm not sure what you mean by "bundled junk". If you mean Steinberg's VSTi's and stuff (e.g. Halion) then why should they influence cpu/memory when they're not being used?

Regarding Reaper 4, did they introduce a better channel interface including a quick EQ and more intuitive channel linking + Music notation? Did they also fix the midi controller issues where 1) directlink support to some major keyboards like my Oxygen 88 is nonexistent, and 2) your controller is not detected if you turn it on after you start the DAW? While Reaper is a tremendous DAW (probably number 2 for me), I don't have to deal with THAT bs while using Hans Zimmer and Tiësto's favorite DAW which, also, happens to be what I find most comfortable to work with. :D

As for stability, I never had any issues with neither.

lol dude, name dropping is lame.

by bundled junk, yes, I mean included sample libraries and effects that come with the package. You might think they're great. Some of them are. But I'd rather choose which ones I want and not pay for the lot of them when I'll only use 2. Cubase and other iLok (fuck those guys) enabled softwares have nearly constant dongle calls during operation that takes a bite out of your system's speed. might not notice it until a bunch of stuff is running at once.

regarding Reaper 4 midi, big progress is in the works for the release of 4. The channel interface is customizable so I don't understand your problem there. You can even make it look like cubase if that's your thing. If by quick EQ you mean presets... make your own and save them.

lol dude, name dropping is lame.

oh you're just jealous. :eek:

Seriously though I don't really care who uses it, was just making the point that it's not any less than a very solid and stable DAW. :)

by bundled junk, yes, I mean included sample libraries and effects that come with the package. You might think they're great. Some of them are. But I'd rather choose which ones I want and not pay for the lot of them when I'll only use 2. Cubase and other iLok (fuck those guys) enabled softwares have nearly constant dongle calls during operation that takes a bite out of your system's speed. might not notice it until a bunch of stuff is running at once.

regarding Reaper 4 midi, big progress is in the works for the release of 4. The channel interface is customizable so I don't understand your problem there. You can even make it look like cubase if that's your thing. If by quick EQ you mean presets... make your own and save them.

Well I'm not in a rush to update to C6, so meanwhile I'll just continue using C5 (or Reaper), until Reaper 4 is officially released with all the improvements. If I like what I'm seeing I'll go for it, otherwise I'll update to C6. Either way it doesn't look like I'll be disappointed!

I've used Reaper and recorded a song with it once. It's pretty awesome software for the price, but there's one complaint I have with it. When you right click, a huge ass contextual menu shows up with every damn option you could ever ask for. To me that's just so bloated. It's like Reaper is trying to be Microsoft Office, where it has every feature known to mankind, but we only really use 10% of the features and its difficult sometimes to achieve simple things or to find them due to that complexness.

I still like Fruity Loops for all digital stuff, but for recording I really enjoy Adobe Audition. Simple, fast, great effects and presets, and easy to setup and get your recordings down.

Sony Vegas (for recording and mixing)

but I can't say it's my primary DAW because I also use Fruity Loops for playing keyboard/piano/synthesizer. NCH Wavepad for editing audio files (as for me it's very user friendly, I've linked it to Sony Vegas as well)

^ Interesting choice seeing as Sony Vegas is a video editing software and FL is more for electronic music (though it seems to attract most beginners probably due to its being kinda toyish/easy to get into).

I'm using Reaper too.
Out of curiosity, what all aspects affect latency when recording(if we leave processor, ram, drivers, etc out).
I imagine muting the other tracks or taking the recording preview off helps? What other things there is to get as low latency as possible?

Cubase 5. Gave Reaper a try because of the way auto fades work when slip editing, but it was too much of a hassle to learn a new way of doing things. So back to Cubase for me.

Out of curiosity, what all aspects affect latency when recording(if we leave processor, ram, drivers, etc out).

I'd say the project's sound quality (for example: 48khz/16bit should be faster than 192khz/24bit). I also noticed that some sophisticated vst effects (such as Waves' multiband compressor) may contribute a bit to latency, especially when you stack a bunch of them together you could start to notice the increase in latency. However, in my experience, this is only true for very few effects. Almost all effects today will just increase the amounts of resources used and keep latency the same instead of the other way around.

So the main 4 elements that affect latency are (in order of importance): Hardware, drivers, sound format, effects

I imagine muting the other tracks or taking the recording preview off helps?

Nope, that doesn't really affect latency on your active track (where live monitoring is activated, that is). It only affects the amount of resources used during playback/recording.

but it was too much of a hassle to learn a new way of doing things. So back to Cubase for me.

I hear ya.

in the box, latency is affected by effects which require time to process before output. Since every effect is like that, all effects add miniscule latency. However, some require more intensive processing or more heavily time-based processing and therefore add additional latency. Muting tracks where effects are active will help latency of live monitoring of those tracks. It won't affect the live monitoring of other tracks because different processing is applied. This can end up a huge headache, so most modern DAWs apply a universal delay on all tracks to give you what is essentially "slowest one wins" and everybody plays in sync. It can vary from program to program, but as a general guideline, you can decrease latency by decreasing the path between input and output.

Hey, look there's a This thread.
I use ProTools 9 right now on my Mac.

Now let me read the thread. I get the feeling there's going to be plenty of "ProTools is expensive" and "ProTools isn't as good as ____." in this thread.
After skimming the thread, I'm surprised how little ProTools talk there's been.

I use ProTools because I was professionally trained on ProTools, and frankly, after being trained in it and knowing it inside and out, I really like it and much prefer it to other software.
I like the look and feel of it from PT9 on; 8 was pretty good, but it was still buggy. The only "bugs" I have with 9 is when ProTools runs too hard for my hard drive to handle, and the only thing that happens then is that it ruins your takes. If I max'd out my computer's hard drive and RAM, it would probably handle it better. Then again, I use a lot of plug-ins and do a lot of bussing for crazy effects. And I do a shitload of tracks also. My projects are usually massive.
I used to use Logic for a lot of things, because the MIDI in it was way better. But when ProTools 9 came out and the MIDI became just as accessible to me as Logic was, I made the switch and never looked back.
Actually I looked back once. That was just to bounce my prized song down to a .OMF file to open it in ProTools. :D
Logic was good, but I was trained in both, and I like the intricacies of ProTools much better. Possibly because I know all the vocabulary and whatnot. Education. It goes a long way.

No one's talking about ProTools because it's like talking about how great your Chevy Nova is. At one time it was cool, but that time is not now.

Education does go a long way and the best education is the one you give yourself. You're partial to PT because you're familiar with it. A lot of us it seems are partial to Reaper as we are familiar with it, and because it allows far more user customization for a tailored mixing experience with the right tools and no bloat. Never had any bugs or issues with Reaper that a report to the devs couldn't quickly solve for no charge. PT is the old standard, the old business model.

But then why is everyone using it if it's not the best?
You'd think that people would be using the best thing on the market regardless of anything, but people aren't using it. Except for you at least.