Your favorite bands?

Xtokalon

Jun 1, 2001
I'm mostly looking for killer recommendations. I'm curious to know what you KD peeps fave bands are? Sorry if that's tacky.

I don't want to list my favorites because it's difficult to get beyond three bands or even two.

These days Esoteric are owning me. Their last two albums destroy. I'm usually bored with metal but Esoteric music has a good dosage of profundity going on with it, it's always a pleasure to explore and get to know and keep coming back to.

it is a hard question. i tried making a list, but as i went it seemed more awkward. these past few days have been a miles davis marathon of sorts, and the week before before that, i played weakling - dead as dreams to a crisp...

I didn't think it was possible but you just topped yourself. Greatest avatar ever! :tickled:

Mind if I use the previous one? :)

brian eno, robert fripp, jean luc ponty, stephane grapelli, david grisman, stuart duncan, david byrne, adrian belew, jaco pastorius, REM, DJ Shadow, ZZ Top, john coltrane, BNL, EWF, ian mckenzie, ashley macisaac, kayo dot, john mclaughlin, l.shankar, king crimson, antonin dvorak, hot tuna, chris thile, old blind dogs, weather report, brendan o'donnell, jon hassell, Cinematic Orchestra, Alicia Svigals

I've been listening to ridiculous amounts of Paul Simon. I never gave much credit to his early solo records (like "Still Crazy..." and "There Goes Rhymin Simon") but there's some great songs in there.
Also some of my old hardcore/punk records, like Assfactor 4, and the first two Cerberus Shoal records (practically a different band from the the CS of today). And I suddenly got a hankering for His Hero Is Gone that I should not satisfy as it is 3:30AM.

There are sections of "...And Farewell to Hightide" that rate as my favorite moments of Cerberus (for that sound of the band...the new stuff is just a whole different ball of wax) but the minuses definitely drag that album down. I just can't deal with the spoken word bits - at points they're fine, but they're never an addition to the music for me. That aside, there are some musical moments on that record that are just amazing.

But I would tend to agree that "Homb" is the most fully realized and executed version of that sound, as much as I like "Farewell" and the s/t LP.

My music taste kind of sucks but, you must check out the below bands, because damn it they're just so cool:

Hang on the box, Sunn 0))), Le tigre, Esmerine, Regina Spektor, Stars of the lid and Frankie Sparro

:)

the stuff that's been rocking me this week: KVLR, Head of David, Steel Pole Bath Tub, Talk Talk, Grotus, Him Kerosene, Logh

mostly older stuff. eagerly awaiting the new Stina Nordenstam.

for accoustic jazz, Esbjörn Svensson Trio own as well. Seven days of Falling is one of the best and my favorite albums I've heard lately. A true pleasure. It's basically a piano trio playing traditional accoustic jazz tinged slightly with some modern rock or effects here and there.

Yeah an all-time favourites list is difficult.Long list: Psychotic Waltz, King Crimson, Watchtower, Voivod, Confessor, Fates Warning, Yes, Captain Beyond, early Anathema (up to Pentecost III), Maudlin of the Well, middle period Tiamat (Astral sleep, Clouds), Breach, Fields of the Nephilim, Bauhaus, Candlemass, Atrox, 3rd and the Mortal, Autopsy, Cirith Ungol, Omen, Current 93 I'll stop now :/

I'm just going to pick ten things.
John Coltrane - Ascension
Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape
Demilich - Nespithe
Atheist - Elements
Ornette Coleman - Skies of America
Cynic - Focus
O.L.D. - Lo Flux Tube
Pan Thy Monium - Khaaooss and Konfusion (sic)
Olivier Messiaen - Visions de L'Amen
Coung Vu - Pure

Also big ups to my fam of bands such as Orthrelm, Daughters, Zs, Biolich, Behold the Arctopus, Friendly Bears, Time of Orchids, Et At It, Infidel?/Castro!, Dysrhythmia..

favorite composers that I didnt list are Charles Ives, Henry Brant, Milton Babbitt, Lucia Dlugoszewski, Vivian Fine, etc

blah blah blah I could keep going but I'm gonna stop...