Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Guild

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 48 7.7%
  • Dean

Votes: 15 2.4%

• Total voters
I've heard that Jacksons between 400-500$ really suck...

and I am planning to buy a jackson( 400-500$) but if that's true, I have to look for something else..

For ex: what can you say about this guitar ?

m0rtis said:
I've heard that Jacksons between 400-500$ really suck...

and I am planning to buy a jackson( 400-500$) but if that's true, I have to look for something else..

For ex: what can you say about this guitar ?
Yeah, you have good reason to be concerned. Especially the Performer models and the X-series seem to be a mixed bunch, since they are built in different places. Look at this image for instance:

511633.jpg

Notice the difference in the spacing between the 12th fret dots on the two guitars? These were built in different factories, to different quality standards. I'm guessing the lower one was built in Japan (good quality), while the upper one was built in either Korea or India (beware!). Although a lot of the Indian guitars were decent, I have heard a few horror stories about misaligned pickup routes, bad fret jobs, etc.

Common to almost all Jackson imports, are crappy to half-decent (depending on model) bridges and pickups. If you get hold of a Japanese-built Jackson, it will be a good instrument once you replace the pickups. The trem will be okay, but if you use it a lot it will go bad after a while. Some people actually like these trems, but they are made of cheap metal, and it's easy to strip the screws if you're not careful. I hate the trems on the imports, so I'd recommend you to look for a guitar with a tune-o-matic style bridge and string-through tailpiece. There are less things to go wrong with those. I replaced the trem in my Jackson with a Schaller Floyd, and it made a huge difference to its playability - at least in my hands.

There is some good news however, and that is that Fender (who now own Jackson) are working hard to improve quality, which hopefully means that the low-line Jacksons will become more consistant quality-wise. I have yet to see a bad review about the JS30 series (made in India) for instance, but those are rather new on the market, so I guess we'll see more about them in due time. The X series has had a rather bad rep, but there are also quite a few people who are happy with theirs.

If at all possible, try before you buy. Keep in mind though, that very few guitars you find in a shop come with a good setup (unless they are high $ items). You'll find ones with horrible neck bow and strings a mile above the fretboard. In most cases, all they need is some neck and bridge adjustment. And new pickups. =P

'bane

my next guitar is going to be a custom rhoads, since randy was/is my biggest influence, the reason i started playing...that whole bit. right now im playing a custom sadowsky, which is a small company out of NY that is more famous for repairs...its literally the best guitar i've ever played. its basically a a fat strat with a faster neck and perfect action. im 15, but the guitar is around 18, since it was my father's before it was mine. it has been set up twice since we got it...the thing can sit for years without needing a setup. the only really big name that uses a sadowsky is jason newstead, who uses their basses. i gave jackson my vote because i really like their rhoads models and their V's. but i have played some lower end ones that sucked. my second choice would be ibanez, closely followed by ESP

I have an Ibanez and a Schecter 7-string, but I found this ass kickin' BC Rich. I think its the firebird model, I dunno, but its so comfortable to play and it looks awesome. Other than that, I prefer Explorer models and the JS Ibanez ones - both of those are so slick and great instruments!

I've been playing Ibanez 6 string basses for quite some time now, and I really like them a lot. In my yournger days, before I upgraded to a 6 string, I played an Aria Pro Superbass 4 string - same model as Cliff Burton. Thin neck, single EMG pickup...you could really fly on that baby. Now, I can't even play a 4 string...the neck feels like a little milk straw in my hands. I may be upgrading to a Conkling Groove Tools 7 string bass this summer...
As far as guitar...I just bought a Schecter Blackjack 7 string...pretty slick axe for the price...

Wow, is this thread old or what? Scrolling thru, I was actually surprised to see I posted on this thing two years ago. My current guitars are a Gibson Flying V, which I totally enjoy. I have it tuned to regular E. I also have a MIM Fender Toronado. Originally it had this country-ass looking pickguard (you know the tortoise-shell crap). I took it off, spray painted it flat black, and now it goes great with the chrome hardware, Metallic Red paint job and the Silver and Black strap. I have the Fender down tuned a half step. I am thinking of getting a Fat Strat next. Both the guitars I have are double humbuckers and the Fat Strat has two single coils and one hummer. You know, looking for a different sound. I am also interested in an Ibanez SZ720FM, I think it plays great and sounds great, but it also has two hummers. If I have three guitars, one will end up drop D. I figure that Ibanez would be good for that. My style is Doom, Traditional and Stoner, with a touch of Prog. I am not a shredder, so these guitars work for me. I like a good chunky thrash sometimes, and all these guitars are totally capable of that, but they also can get a great bluesy sustsain. If people keep this one alive another two years, I'll fill you in then on my updates and upgrades.

Carvin. Best neck I've ever played, bar none, and the body's resonance is incredible. I hit a chord and muted the strings (unplugged) the other day and there was still this noise and I couldn't figure out what is was. The body was still resonating! This was for several seconds after I muted the strings. Unfortunately, the C22T and C22N pickups are the definition of feces, so I'm going to change them to EMG 85 and 60 (more versatile than 81s, plus I don't play pure metal...). Other than that, though, the "wow" factor never ceases to amaze.

Gibson of course, though the old Ibanez stuff (when they still copied Gibson and Rickenbacker) is also good.....

The Fender Stratocaster. I've owned Kramer, Charvel and Ibanez and the Strat is easily the most versatile, best playing and sounding guitar to me. The perfect guitar.

I actually own a Ibanez GSA 60. A beginners guitar i would say but it's ok. I'm only playing guitar for 1,5 years now so i don't have much to compare it with. I'd really love to play a BC Rich or an ESP, but i can't find them around here, and i don't have the money to buy one either.