Your favorite guitarist

All excellent choices, except a few: Got to go with--Hendrix, Tommy Bolin, Stevie ray Vaughn, Roy Buchanan, Rory Gallagher, Eric Clapton, Johnny Winter, Jeff Loomis, Robin Trower, Robert Fripp, John Mclaughlin, Derek Trucks, Joe Bonnamssa, Peter Green, Jason Becker, Billy Gibbons, Andrew Latimer, David Gilmour and Steve Hackett. The thread is favorite guitarists?

I can't believe 5 pages and no mention of Greg Howe or Vinnie Moore?
in no particular order

Jeff Loomis
Greg Howe
Vinnie Moore
Jeff Beck
Robin Trower
Chris Broderick
Satch
Vai
Paul Gilbert
Jason Becker
Al Dimeola
Marty Friedman
Andy Timmons
Frank Marino
Joe Pass (RIP)

Megaforce said:
No choice.

Wolf Hoffman (accept)
Mathias Jabbs (Scorpions)
They all had a lot of influence on my carreer

Great choices on the awesome teutonic (German) players there. Both Jabs and Hoffmann had more than enough technical expertice, but they also had style that was their own. GREAT GREAT players !!

Bryant

Andy laroque and Pete Black on King Diamonds Them and Conspiricy. The twin lead is incredible and the riffing and guitar sound has been ripped of for years. Outstanding.
The playing on Leatherwolfs Street Ready is blistering too.

Greg Howe? Hell yeah his Extraction disc was pretty nuts. I still don't think he's ever gonna get playing over changes like my man Holdsworth but he's a rock guy trying to play jazz so I'll cut him some slack.

Hmm, all my favorite metal guys have pretty much been named. What happened to Helstar? I remember Nosferatu was a shredfest...

Best guitarist I'm sure no one here has heard of:

David Grier - Check him out on Youtube, he plays bluegrass but has been incorporating a lot of (joe pass - django) era swing into his playing. His improv is lights out.

D.

Tommy Vetterli (Coroner)

Most underrated guitarist from the most underrated band. His work on their last album (Grin) is absolutely mindblowing. The solo in Serpent Moves sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it even still, 13 years later...

corpic05.jpg

:worship:

Rusty Cooley-the most beastly guitar player in the world...but my fav is...
MIchael Romeo- absolutely amazing neo-classical guitar player
Yngwie Malmsteen- even though hes a total ass hes an awsome neo-classical guitarist
Jeff Loomis- hes just an amazing player, and Ive noticed he has some classical influences..

these are some of my favorites, there are others like Petrucci, Vai, Chris Broderick, Buckethead...the list can get very lonng but these are some of my favorites

Vacant_Planets said:
The originally guy from Overkill is fairly underrated too. Just wanted to give hima bit of credit for his unique sound.

he's so underrated you forgot his name

my faves:

Tony Iommi, Trey Azagthoth, Bill Steer, Greg Ginn, Denis "Piggy" D'Amour, Brian Egeness, Buzz Osbourne, and Robert Fripp.

First off, the really obvious ones. I love Jimi Hendrix. He is so creative in his solos. And the national anthem he played at woodfest, that one is amazing. I also predictably love david gilmoure. He just has this touch to him, where every note is beautiful. Then of course there's chuck Schuldiner. He has a style to him that I really dig. It almost sounds like a passionate oriental/arabic jazz metal type in his soloing. Fredrick Thorendel from meshuggah, he has it going on with the strange otherworldly solos. Alienesque. Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew from King Crimson, are both amazing guitarists. I love Robert Fripp because he is really good and creative. I usually dislike his solos and stuff the first time spinning a disk, and then grow into it. Then Adrian, what is there not to say about him? This guy is crazy. His sound effects are downright awesome, and although some of his stuff isn't so great, at least it is original. He also plays the guitars on NIN's the downward spiral and the Fragile. RIng modulated, whatever that means. It sounds real gritty and rough though, and is great. And he plays a fretless guitar. Thats awesome. I wanna learn to play fretless. I still blow at my nylon string acoustic though, so I've got some work to do. Those are the ones that come off of the top of my head. I might have more.

TylerTheNuke said:
First off, the really obvious ones. I love Jimi Hendrix. He is so creative in his solos. And the national anthem he played at woodfest, that one is amazing. I also predictably love david gilmoure. He just has this touch to him, where every note is beautiful. Then of course there's chuck Schuldiner. He has a style to him that I really dig. It almost sounds like a passionate oriental/arabic jazz metal type in his soloing. Fredrick Thorendel from meshuggah, he has it going on with the strange otherworldly solos. Alienesque. Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew from King Crimson, are both amazing guitarists. I love Robert Fripp because he is really good and creative. I usually dislike his solos and stuff the first time spinning a disk, and then grow into it. Then Adrian, what is there not to say about him? This guy is crazy. His sound effects are downright awesome, and although some of his stuff isn't so great, at least it is original. He also plays the guitars on NIN's the downward spiral and the Fragile. RIng modulated, whatever that means. It sounds real gritty and rough though, and is great. And he plays a fretless guitar. Thats awesome. I wanna learn to play fretless. I still blow at my nylon string acoustic though, so I've got some work to do. Those are the ones that come off of the top of my head. I might have more.
Yeah!!!! :kickass: You see the point, Tyler!

For Playing Skill Alone: Michael Romeo (AMAZING), Jeff Loomis, Dave Mustaine, Marty Friedman, Glen Drover, Andy LaRouque, Trey Azagoth, Alexi Laiho Peter Tagtgren (Hey can play but focuses less on being technical and more on songwriting)

For Songwriting: Peter Tagtgren, Jerry Cantrell, Jeff Loomis, John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, Dave Mustaine, James Heitfield, Micheal Romeo, Al Jourgenson (He plays guitar in the studio and does a good job IMO it counts plus on the new albums he solos), Devin Townsend

I probably forgot a lot of people oh well oh year for players I can't forget Stevie Ray Vaugn (I can't spell well sorry), Steve Vai, Devin Townsend (He CAN PLAY when he really wants to), Pat O'brian, Ynwie Malmsteen