• PFM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters
Porcupine Tree are godly...

Rush are the founders...

Yes is greatness...

A band nobody has mentioned yet, KANSAS..!

Dream Theater are Progressive, there are just people here that are anti-Dream Theater...

Oh yeah, and my absolute favorite band, SYMPHONY X..!

The new The Mars Volta album (not Mars Volta, who are totally different) is easily the best prog album I have heard in years, it is goddamn astounding. I would compare it more to Yes than anyone else... maybe some King Crimson here and there. But it is very fresh, energetic, and new sounding... which seperates it from most prog. There are a lot of very intense instrumental moments with godlike bass from Flea of RCHP fame, and there are soaring falsetto vocals from Cedric that sound actually quite good instead of the typical balls-in-a-vice sound of Geoff Tate, James Labrie, etc. Pretty long songs, including one 12+ minute song entitled Cicatriz ESP. It's not out until June 24th, but download some mp3s... you won't be disappointed. One of the best songs, Drunkship of Lanterns, is available as a free mp3... just google it and you will find it easily.

how is this a progressive poll when you dont have rush??? and kansas, too???

though i like most of whos up there.
i also like some of the work of Allan Holdsworth, Jens Johannson, and Anders Johansson, but i wouldnt expect them to be here.

gotta throw some out to fredrik thordendal's special defekts. sol niger within was one of the best things ive heard.

I voted Yes, but Camel is a close second!
Who the fuck is PFM?
I would call Dream Theater progressive metal. I don't really define a band such and such if they push the entire genre forward. Tulus didn't push black metal forward (at least not IMO), but I still would call them black metal. I define progressive rock by the sound of the music. Bands that sound like Camel and Yes play progressive rock IMO and bands that sound like Dream Theater and Fates Warning play progressive metal IMO.
"about Dream Theater, i like them but they are just "rush and Yes-go metal" thing ..."
That may be correct, so that's why they are labeled progressive metal.
Well, Opeth are influenced by Camel, so aren't they also "rush and Yes-go metal" basically?

among the choices, I am choosing ELP, Yes and King Crimson.

as for other groups, Dream Theater, Rush, Marillion(methinks this should also be included in the choices), Symphony X and Amorphis rank highly in my book.

Jondur: Donati isn't called "The Thunder from Down Under" for nothing. :lol: his level of musicianship's cool too. I just can't take Derek Sherinian's keyboard playing.

Id have to go with Porcupine Tree. Just amazing music. I listen to Porcupine Tree almost every night and it is so soothing. Just beautiful music.

Symphony X is my favorite prog-metal band though. I
bowdown.gif
Romeo.

I like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Arcturus and Opeth, but if I got to choose my very favourite band, it - without doubt - would be Aghora. Aghora is a quite unknown band, even though it consists of members from the classic prog-metal outfit Cynic.

LuminousAether said:
Hahaha, Dream Theater are the worst "prog" band ever. They aren't actually prog at all, they are more of a retro band. They aren't doing anything new or original, except they are taking something that was actually kind of interesting from the 70's and turning it into the most godawful tripe ever.

What? You're actually ripping into a band?!?! Ok who are you and what have you done with the REAL LuminousAether?

Let's not forget the Beatles (Revolver and later.) THere was no such thing as "progressive" back then, and it was considered "experimental" but I would love to hear some of their stuff with moderbn recording techniques and technology.

Bryant

No GENESIS WTF:mad: damn i love that band in the peter gabriel era, you all suck!!!
king crimson fucking crushes as well the double trio era :headbang:
pink floyd is great as well but i don't know if thats progressive...
camel pretty cool as well!