Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

poundingmetal74

Demons Will Fly
Oct 18, 2004
Canada, eh
www.finalstage.ca
Well, since these polls have become all the rage as of late, I was interested in seeing what your favorite FW album is.

Personally, it's a hard call as several of them are very, very good, but I'll go with Parallels. Argaubly the best production values they've ever had, they finally put all the pieces together to write some "songs" that flowed extremely well, and I don't think Alder has sounded better since.

I voted for Guardian, definitely the best Arch-led album. I'm only familiar with a couple of the later FW albums and they bored me to death... I know the first few Alder-era records might be more up my alley, with a bit more metal edge, been meaning to check them out for years but never got there...:oops:

For me also Awaken the Guardian... I only like the John Arch area FW I guess.Like I bought FWX when it was released and gave it away immediatly, there was some electric drumming undertone if I recall that I didn't like at all ... John Arch should record some more stuff like the "Twist of Fate" EP, that outclasses all later Fates Warning albums !!!

John Arch should record some more stuff like the "Twist of Fate" EP, that outclasses all later Fates Warning albums !!!

That's an excellent release! His voice hadn't aged at all in the 18 years between Awaken the Guardian and Twist of Fate, and the vocal melodies were pure Arch as well. Too bad he seems to have disappeared again, hopefully that EP wasn't the last we'll hear of his voice.

If you asked me 2 or 3 years ago, perhaps I would say "A.P.S.o.G.".

But now, there is no other choice: Awaken the Guardian.

First of all, I´d like to say Fates Warning are absolutely underrated nowadays. They´ve released many quality albums and never got the recognition they deserve, in my opinion.

From "The spectre within" to "Parallels" I consider every album almost a masterpiece but if i have to pick one I´d choose parallels. Yes, it´s their most "easy listening" record but when I listened "Leave the past behind", "Eye to eye", "Point of view",... I consider they created their best stuff.

"Awaken the guardian" is another masterpiece with Jonh Arch at his best. By the way, I agree with "Twist of fate" EP. Arch could do a whole album in that vein.

For a couple years after it's release, I said APSOG. But in the past 5 years or so, I've reverted back to Perfect Symmetry, which is the one that really sold me on this band. I already had No Exit at the time, but PS still blows me away. I'm a big fan of Parallels and Inside Out also...

Not a fan of Arch at all, btw....if you hadn't noticed. :Smug:

It's funny to see the division between Arch and Alder fans. Arch had a more "early 80s" metal tone to his voice (NWOBHM, Classic American 80s Metal) while Adler was a bit more from the "Geoff Tate" school of vocals - even though they both had pretty much the same range. Personally, I prefer the latter, but both are great. I think it would be awesome if Adler and Arch did a Fates album together. Sort of like Allen/Lande.

I'll go with the fist album I bought from them...
No Exit. I still pick it up from tiem to time and it still holds up. It could use some remastering...

That's exactly it for me too. I don't know if I would even be able to pick my least favorite disc of theirs -- I like them all fairly equally. I'm also one of the rare people that like both Arch and Alder.

What Wheezer said. I like both Arch and Alder. Can't really say which is my favorite but I can say I didn't care for the last couple of albums they put out

I'll be the brainless fanboy here since I like all their releases (Arch and Alder periods equally), from "Night on Brocken" to "FWX" included.

Pick only one record is almost impossible : "Awaken the Guardian" for its metallic majesty, "No Exit" because of one of the best 20 minutes long song ever, "Parallels" for showing how intelligent prog metal should be done, and "APSOG" for the dark and thoughtful concept...

This band is much like Metal Church in the way that there were two distinct eras and many had their fave. Although I am old fart, I actually prefer Alder era. Having said that, I think FW had great stuff for most of their career. I think they molded modern metal music more than they are given credit for.

Bryant