Your favorite solos/soloists

Keregioz, I dunno how you define insane speed and technique, but that Coroner guy had some pretty legato fast runs in there!Not a big fan of that solo though, it's cool but a bit wanky/meandering for my tastes. And that Pink Floyd solo is ridiculously epic; once again pretty meandering, but it fits their music I'd say. Still, I usually like a bit more structure.

Yes, of course. I didn't mean he doesn't have good technique. I meant compared to guitarists like Jeff Loomis, Petrucci, Romeo etc.
I get what you mean about "more structure". Both solos have an "improvised" feel. Well, I know most of that pink floyd solo IS improvised.

Btw, I forgot to mention another absolutely epic solo. Andy LaRoque's solo in "Trapped in a corner" from death's "Individual Thought Patterns"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGmWLQPQmDY#t=02m01s

Spiritual Healing also had some kick ass solos from James Murphy. I guess Chuck knew how to pick them :).

check out the vids on Guthrie Govans myspace (the 3 below his live vids).
first takes btw (means spontaneous improvised). i was shocked when i first saw them. :zombie:

when it comes to Japanese guitarists IMO you can't beat Tak Matsumoto! :worship: (and The B'z fucking RULE).

I never really got into B'z, but his TMG side/solo album was a fun listen.

personal fave solo nominees:

Friedman, M. - Tornado of Souls (w/ Paul Gilbert), Lucretia (acoustic cover)

Gilmour, D. - Time

Hetfield, J. - Nothing Else Matters

Keneally, M. - Stairway to Heaven (doubled by horn section)

Schenker, M. - Into the Arena

Soilwork - As We Speak (cover), Bastard Chain (cover), Bringer (cover)

Tabor, T. - Pretend (cover) , Summerland (cover)

I love what Marty Friedman does with melodies and arps.
I LOVE Gary Moore's tone on "Still got the blues"
Pat Metheny for being awesome
John McLaughlin for the same reason
Michael Romeo for hardly moving his stubby sausage fingers and playing amazingly fast and precise (great technique)
the solo on Priest's "Painkiller" for influencing me quite a bit
James Murphy for his unique style and his feel for melodies and harmonies
Django Reinhardt for 2-finger supreme awesomeness

Btw, I forgot to mention another absolutely epic solo. Andy LaRoque's solo in "Trapped in a corner" from death's "Individual Thought Patterns"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGmWLQPQmDY#t=02m01s

Hey, Hey, hey, wa wait a minute, wait, just wait!!!

How can i forget those fucking amazing solos!!! of course Andy Laroque on ITP!!!
But i like more the solo on Overactive Imagination, i mean a very short solo but still very full and tastefull with his unique style.

Another epic solo is Highway star by Richie Blackmore

EDIT: And another fucking awesome solo:

The solo from "Where the slime lives" by Trey Azagthoth, really awesome mixture of strange passages with delay, pretty wicked tapping, and then some blues stuff. weird and awesome.

For me the top 5 are:

Per Nilsson
Allan Holdsworth
Yngwie Malmsteen
Mikael Akerfeldt
Jeff Loomis

They've all inspired me to some degree. From Mike and Yngwie I got the wide vibrato, from Holdsworth I got ideas to express melody sideways yet still make it coherent to the key of the song, from Per I started to learn how to combine technicality and odd melodic passages to create truly unique, fluid and memorable solos, and Loomis gave me the BOOM.

Although I don't listen to instrumental music that often, here are some instrumental guys that DON'T bore me after a minute or so:
Al Di Meola
Greg Howe
Guthrie Govan

Greg Howe:

Last edited by a moderator:
-Dimebag

-James Murphy
One of my fave Murphy solos
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IOXtinwRws&feature=related[/ame]

-Pete and Ola from Soilwork

-Per Nilson

-Fredrik Thordendal
(especially the stuff on Contradictions Collapse + None 'Cadaverous Mastication' clean section solo, 'Ritual' and 'Gods of Rapture' are my faves)

-Erik Rutan

Last edited by a moderator:
Narrowing it down to metal:

Alex Skolnick - great composition, feel and diversity... maybe my favourite traditional lead guitarist in metal

Paul Masvidal - great phrasing and melody

Jeff Waters - not THE flashiest player by today's standards but great chops nonetheless and the ability to write catchy/interesting metal solos like hardly anyone else

James Murphy - unique style/tone and harmonies that make me drool

Chris Broderick - a machine, his preciseness and seemingly effortlessness are awe-inspiring

Marty Friedman - his solos on "Rust In Peace" are more than the icing on the cake

Dimebag Darrel - if people can spot your playing among those of millions, you've done something right

John Petrucci - at his best when not in high-speed mode

Jason Göbel - "How Could I" --> outro solo --> :worship: (I'm glad they found such a great replacement in Tymon)

Honourable mention: Nuno Bettencourt - not metal, but I just can't talk about favourite soloists without mentioning him

Edit: Oh, I forgot Ron Jarzombek - best haircut...

You already know my answer, I love everything the Amotts do up to Burning Bridges and of course including Chris' Armageddon :D ...

For me, Christopher Amott it's just a GOD. Is there something in his vibrato , that make his soloing so expresive, even when he is shreding like a beast. Very very unique.

Also i love:

Timo Tolkki
Jani Liimatainen (yeap, i love Power Metal)
Jeff Loomis
Vai/Satch/Petrucci
Kiko Loureiro
Peter Wichers

and, only for the reason he has played in a Ayreon's record...MICHAEL ROMEO...SWEET JESUS man, that chromatic phrase in "Dawn of a million Souls" solo it's just fucking imposible o_O

Ze kink, I really didn't like what he played in that vid, but I've heard plenty of great stuff by Eklundh to know he's the fucking man (though I've never really been emotionally moved by one of his solos, but haven't heard anything besides the first "Freak Guitar" album either). But eek, not a fan of that X Japan guy's solo, too disjointed and a pretty awful flow IMO - when it comes to Japanese guitarists IMO you can't beat Tak Matsumoto! :worship: (and The B'z fucking RULE).

Ah, he's not the X Japan guy (hide), that was Sugizo from Luna Sea. Here's another cool solo by him (I don't really like the song though):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od64BZUgnSo&fmt=18#t=02m20s

IA is great, but I definately prefer Freak Kitchen over his solo stuff. Here's a song which also has a fretless solo by Bumblefoot (plus some guest vocals), another awesome soloist:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc329X_8bFo&fmt=18[/ame]

Aaand here's a Bumblefoot song featuring IA's guitar and phone solo :lol::

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YRrCgkcSNw&fmt=18[/ame]

Oh, and I almost forgot! Christophe Godin! The fusion jazz part is so hilarious :lol: it's not the best representation of his soloing, but whatever, it's just so funny :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzqEiUd2Fn4&#t=04m00s

And holy fuck, that Matias Kupiainen guy is nuts, especially for playing it on a PRS; not a guitar I usually associate with crazy shreddage! I do think he'll fit in perfectly in Stratovarius, though :D

Yeah, I think he got some custom guitars from Ruokangas some time ago though. He also plays in a band called Fist in Fetus, they're awesome too, even though it's clearly got a healthy amount of tongue in cheek (especially the vocals :lol:): http://www.myspace.com/fistinfetus

In no particular order:

Alex Skolnick (Testament)
Oli Herbert and Mike Martin (All That Remains)
Muhamed Suicemez (Necrophagist)
Marcus Sunesson (The Crown)
Chuck Shuldiner
Jesper Stromblad, Bjorn Gellotte (In Flames)
Alexi Laiho (COB)
Randy Rhodes

Yeah, that LaRocque solo in Trapped in a Corner is fucking amazing - I didn't mention him cuz I really haven't listened to very much KD, but I should to check him out if nothing else, cuz I've been blown away by what I've heard!

My list including NO-Metal soloists:

Eric Johnson
Satriani
Vai
David Gilmour :worship:
Steve Rothery
Paul Gilbert
Steve Hackett
Marty Friedman
Kay *fucking* Hansen
John Petrucci (from I&W to SDOIT)
Adrian Smith & Dave Murray
Glenn Tipton & K.K.
Kiko Loureiro
Rafael Bittencourt
BB King

still on the guitar subject, IMO, the best fucking lord of the riffs: Dave Mustaine !