Your favorite solos/soloists

Yeah that is a definite...he's a ridiculous player. Funny story about them. In August of 2001 I saw them and a few other local bands play a BOAT show lol. It was a mid-day tour around Manhattan. Irate never rocked so hard. It was called the "Hardcore booze Cruise..." The boat went by the WTC that would be gone in a matter of weeks. Crazy to look back and watch the video of the show...

Let me just say, I don't try to be overly snippy on these boards, but it just seemed that you got poked fun of for listening to E-Town. It could also be that hardcore are my roots along with metal. :)

Marcus, I know you are a cool cat so I'm not pissed off in a "GOD DAMNIT HOW DAAAAAARE YOU INSULT NYHC!????" kind of way lol. just saying, different strokes for different folks. That and it's ALMOST time to get out of work that I'm antsy and annoyed right now lol.

Peace offering: m/

-Joe

'ight

I know, I'm just busting balls, but a lot of that style of hardcore (specifically Madball and Blood for Blood, though I know they're not from NY) literally are guys who don't have jobs and "fuck the world cuz the world fucked me" and staying "true to the scene" by living in your parents' basement and blah blah blah, and these semi-redneck tendencies are what it seems like a lot of Europe disdain America for - so the thought of a European liking it just amused me :D And yes, I totally was poking fun for listening to it, but of course, different strokes and yadda yadda yadda

I know, I'm just busting balls, but a lot of that style of hardcore (specifically Madball and Blood for Blood, though I know they're not from NY) literally are guys who don't have jobs and "fuck the world cuz the world fucked me" and staying "true to the scene" by living in your parents' basement and blah blah blah, and these semi-redneck tendencies are what it seems like a lot of Europe disdain America for - so the thought of a European liking it just amused me :D And yes, I totally was poking fun for listening to it, but of course, different strokes and yadda yadda yadda

Well, I like Hardcore because sometimes I feel like my life sucks ass, so listening to dudes sing about how there life sucks worse makes me feel a little better. Yeah that's weak, so what.

And I want to know who fabricated the myth that Europe is some kind of Utopia that laughs at America.
That bothers me a lot. Last time I checked they had violence and bullshit and people living in parents basements too.

I said ZERO about NYHC I love HC when done right. I saw this band at Ozzfest way back when and it just seemed like an amateur Boston HC band. Maybe they are good I don't know, I'm not in agreement with Tastic here other than that I don't remember them possessing a nasty guitar player.

All right. I didn't say their guitar player was nasty in a "Dimebag/Jeff Loomis nasty" way either :)

This band has just great songs (if you like some NYHC, if you like metal, and if you don't mind a couple of rap sounding parts (the rap aspect is what makes people like or dislike the band actually) i suggest you to listen to the band again, and remember all their 4 albums are pretty different).
The guitar playing is not "mind-blowing" but the guitar player is good, lot of inspired riffs, very diverse, catchy, filled with groove and melody, and the few solos he has done are pretty good IMO (the ones that come to my mind are the bluesy one on the "do you know what it's like" song, and the very 80's metal solos on "so many nights" and "one life to live").

And please never change your avatar. It reminds me i should watch Total Recall once again.

Well, you'd be surprised that a lot of the guys in those bands are in the same situation of most popular but not huge metal bands members, having a job to pay the bills when back from touring... etc

The "stay true to the scene by living in your parents basement" one is funny since Madball made fun of this on one song on the "Hold It Down" album. Not to mention this statement could apply to a lot of metal bands as well, even if it's not part of their lyrics.

And even if i love some of those bands, it doesn't mean i 100% agree with the lyrics. Hardcore and metal bands look equally redneck to me actually :) And i think i'd chose those American Metal or Hardcore rednecks over any contemptful witty snooty European. I guess i'm somewhere in between :)

So in the end those hardcore bands may seem totally cliché, but not more than most metal bands (remember i was a metalhead already before i started digging hardcore also).

Whatever makes you happy dude :)

sorry for the rant haha :)

I just think those hardcore bands deserve respect ("deserve respect" -> to give you something extra to poke fun with :) ) and are worth checking out as much as any Pantera, Morbid Angel, Testament, Carcass, "insert great if not awesome metal band here". Nothing pleases me more than hearing the Madball guitar player on the Kreator dvd, or hearing Phil Anselmo on the VOD album, or seeing Terror and All Shall Perish tour together.

Nah, I've heard plenty of hardcore from friends I've had over the years, and I just find the whole attitude of beatdowns, breakdowns, and "staying true to yo hawdcoaw brothas" to be very immature and juvenile, so it really doesn't do it for me. But hey, like I said, whatever floats your boat!

However, I remember seeing ETC once with said hardcore friends and thinking they were pretty unique and cool FWIW!

Nah, I've heard plenty of hardcore from friends I've had over the years, and I just find the whole attitude of beatdowns, breakdowns, and "staying true to yo hawdcoaw brothas" to be very immature and juvenile, so it really doesn't do it for me. But hey, like I said, whatever floats your boat!

It doesn't do it to me either when it gets too cliché and/or fake-sounding, and it gets worse if the music isn't good, but same goes with the "let's get drunk" or Manowar-style metal thingie...

However, I remember seeing ETC once with said hardcore friends and thinking they were pretty unique and cool FWIW!

I'm glad to hear it.

And the poking about NYHC reminds me of this funny parody of NYHC by a French fun poking metal band called ULTRA VOMIT :

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/ultra+vomit+hardcore/video/x8g42_ultra-vomit-hardcore-style

(those guys did awesome parody songs of Morbid Angel, Immortal, Motorhead, Hatebreed, and many more...)

Yeah, what can I say...I had sand in my vagina earlier, hahahaha.

Anyway, Marcus...I will agree that there are a LOT of poser hardcore bands out there with equally shitty lyrics, songs, and message. Madball on the other hand are just a staple for me in hardcore. They are most definitely not fake and gave lived what they are singing about. I remember you mentioning a while back listening to metal ( I think it might have been Manowar) in high school and it gave you confidence, etc. when you needed it. A lot of real hardcore is the same way...especially Madball. Songs about perseverance, pride, and looking out for those important to you. This helped me a lot growing up and I definitely didn't forget it. Just puttin' some more perspective out there.

But yes, you are right that a lot of it IS fake and immature, when done simply for the image in my eyes.

Anyways, yes...different strokes. :)

-Joe

Hey dude, listened to some songs off your album yesterday. REALLY like "A Gunman's Poem". Is that you singing?

-Joe

Thank you very much, dude :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: I´m not the singer, but I wrote the song, played that shit and recorded/mixed it :) Johnny Brugger is our singer´s name.

I think I'll add Akerfeldt to the list. LOVE his sense of melody and his style of soloing.

+1000 I would also add him. There are so much great solo guitarists..but I really love Chris Poland (ex Megadeth) do you know him? Such goddamn precise bendings! It´s so unique and wonderful!!! Check this out, my friends.

Last edited by a moderator: