Your favorite song from Shadows of the Past?

Jax

Forum Goddess
Feb 11, 2002
San Jose, CA
Okay, the cd's been out for a little over a month now..so what's your favorite song from it?

If you haven't bought a copy yet, & still need to, drop by the band's store where you can pick one up quickly and easily using your credit card/checking account via Paypal, & we'll get one right out to you. :)

As much as songs like "Drawn", "Chasing Shadows", and a couple others are rapidly scaling my chart as 'favorite', I always seem to revert back to "With These Hands". I'm always singing or humming a song as I work, drive, or do most anything. Lately, I cannot get the newest rendition of "With These Hands" out of my mind. I'm sure people are looking at me and wondering 'what a cool song.....who is that you are singing?'. :lol:

:worship: "With These Hands" :headbang: :danceboy:

Even though I am in the band I want to chine in on a few things. It's funny how I have now had several people tell me their favorite song and the entire CD has been covered (the main songs), which makes me feel good that everyone has something they like off of it. Each song definitely has it's own feel and sound....that's what we were shooting for.

Personally, my favorite is Chasing Shadows. The chords in that song represent a very difficult time in my life and Sorrell's soloing over them gives me goosebumps every time I listen. It was also the song that we had to tell the story of one man's life and how he ends up involved in the unfolding of events. Sorrell and I didn't know how we were going to be able to pull this off in the amount of time we had alloted for it and, when we first tackled it, we knew we were already at the 50 plus minute mark. It was a huge accomplishment for us.

Right now I'm really digging "The Confession". Great song structure that is a fantastic bookend to the album!

~B

Honestly, every time I hear the disc, I have a different favorite. "The Confession" wins more often than any other, but "Chasing Shadows" and "Drawn to the Past" tie for second.

As for being in the band...I paid MANY thousands of dollars for this disc. Hell yes I have a right to name a favorite.:lol: Basically I'm just a fan who happens to be involved.

SRS

This is what I think:

'P.2.T" Like the footsteps, creepy......................***

" With These Hands" I always like this song , good harmonies and its gotta solid beat, I always hear a " Wild Side " by Crue beat boom tap..tap, tap..............***

" Thirty Years" sets up Next song perfect..............**

"Drawn to the Past ", love the wah wah , bass is rippin and at the end the jam and stop , Key hits you , then fades back in for the final verse, very nice...*****

" A Home to None" I like Roosters spanish guitar, I would of added a spanish Harp myself but love the piece...............****

"Diary of Lost Souls" , favorite lead , harmonys with keys and drums together are awesome would like to see belly dancing in the middle section .....****

" Destiny" you need to pay attention here..........**

" Never " it builds nice , reminds me of being in traffic and then all the cars are gone and you shift to 5 and hit 90 on the Harley................ girl sings nice.....***

" The Gift " getting things off your chest on this , its a bit long and a power ballad but flows nicely.....****

" Ascension" Like a good bottle of wine this is where it breathes.........***

" End of a Line" funky and grooves , nice bass work rooster , would of liked cannon sounding drums but great riff ,bit jazzy at end I like also I like the time signature.....***

" Chasing Shadows " this is like a fun roller coaster ride , I keep anticipating whats around the corner or over the hill .... very nice...*****

' The Stranger" grieving and realizations of lifes unforseen misfortunes..........***

" The Confession" ties up the loose ends... one of my favorite tunes great riffin, ....****

over all I would say I like the different influences from rock , to jazz , spanish , classical its all here , read the lyrics and enjoy the music.... very good job guys ***1/2*s

" The Gift " getting things off your chest on this , its a bit long and a power ballad but flows nicely.....****

Funny...it's the shortest song on the record (instrumentals aside) :lol:

over all I would say I like the different influences from rock , to jazz , spanish , classical its all here , read the lyrics and enjoy the music.... very good job guys ***1/2*s

Thank you. That's the most complete review we've had, to date! :kickass:

SRS

This was my favorite part, LOL

This is what I think:

'P.2.T" Like the footsteps, creepy......................***

I can't help but assume that you thought the first track was just the soundbytes and that the actual song part was part of WTH. Dave Hatlee of Dementia Radio gave us a huge compliment about the opening track "Prelude to Tragedy" saying it sounded like Dream Theater from the good 'ol days like "Awake". He actually didn't even mention the foot steps, LOL o_O

I'm with Sorrell on "The Confession" although it's hard to find a particular fave since you need the whole thing to get the mood.
If I had to pick it would be "Drawn to the Past" because d@m! it's hard to get all those lyrics in there! Hail to Rooster for not dropping on the floor every time he sang that! :headbang:
Malice

In the opening piece A Prelude to Tragedy I hear and visualized him walking ( footsteps)in despair from the prison , then his heart starts pumping harder as the sun the fresh air hits him and he realizes he is free at last to move on with his life (creepy), I was thinking revenge, death and payback, 30 freakin years is long time, but his love for his daughter is more powerfull than hate, I picture a man with a long beard who is pretty much a wreck , I love the wah wah , thing is it builds and sets up "With these hands" like a good appetizer getting you ready for the courses to follow , I'll take mine with a nice red wine or maybe a Jaegar bomb.Really I listen to it from start to finish its a whole piece.Next question.
JED

LOL John. That's much better. As I said on the phone, since you had always heard With These Hands as one complete song, rather than broken into three, I had assumed that you thought "Prelude to Tragedy" was the footsteps and jail cell stuff. You may be the first person to give the bartender the choice between a nice red wine or a Jaegar bomb.

It’s like picking a favorite child, right?
With These Hands --there are some special memories I have when it was being written.
Drawn to the Past because it ROCKS
Chasing Shadows because I was floating the first time I heard it and still do

Steve, what is the song that we can still hear the click track in our heads?!?!

Condom in a cheese steak , that sounds like a Dennis Miller punch line , or a way to look at what to expect if Obama is elected prez, I like as a album title too , cool cover, your a creative genious , can I buy a period? I'm not gonna eat a Philly cheesecake sandwich for weeks now thanks , it will help me lose weight..........LOL

FYI I am trying to save Travis Credit Union ballpark , the owner and I have agreed to promote 8 shows this summer IF we can get the city to bend a little , Planning and redevelopement floated him a low intrest loan , so they have a lot of say in what goes on,he meets with them Tuesday, I sign the deal with him 2-5-08, if all goes well tuesday I will do at least 1 prog show , and you will play, we hope to have a 400 -4500 seat capacity , Vacaville is not a city for JOX it's a city that ROX, everyone please cross your fingers..........JED

I have to say "With These Hands" is still my favorite song. Except the Drummer plays all "MY" fills wrong. LOL.. Just kidding. It's fun to hear the different interpretations of these songs. I Still hear the parts I played in my head and sometimes that causes some displeasure. Not that Todd Played ANYTHING wrong/Badly. Todd did an amazing job on the CD. I sometimes hear the parts I did and they just don't jive with what he did. As soon as I get his parts into my head I'll be able to enjoy the fruits of all the Labor put into this CD. More reviews later.

Z

Yeah, the fills Todd did were the more traditional ones Sorrell wrote from the preliminary tracks, which I already loved anyway, so it didn't take but a few listens to get used to them. With These Hands changed so much over the five year period, I can barely remember each version from one to the next. Since I spent hours and hours mixing this thing from June to September all I ever hear in my head is the current version. I'm very happy with it, thank God.

I have waited until things settled in for me to answer here.... And I think "NEVER" is my favorite song on the album.

It's pretty damn epic, a well constructed song and very tastefully done...:kickass:

I am very happy to hear that Brett! I've heard so many people list With these hands, Chasing Shadows, End of a Line, Diary of Lost Souls, Drawn to the Past and The Confession. This is the first time I have heard "Never" (except Jill's daughter, Ashley who claimed this as her favorite, way back in the day the writing was first finished). Now all we need is someone to like "The Gift" the most and we will have covered all of them (except for the short interludes, which, in my opinion, are actually all kind of tied to the other songs anyway).

Just received my copy yesterday.
I don't have a fav song yet, as I am still absorbing the cd, but I just wanted to say WELL DONE!!!! :headbang::headbang: The music is incredible, and the packaging is beautiful.
It's cool to hear the way some of the songs have changed from their early forms. There is a lot of power and emotion in these songs, and I had goosebumps on my arms a good majority of the time because of that power and emotion. I love music that has this kind of effect on me.

Incredible job SK and SS. This cd has been worth the wait. Thank you.

Robby

Thanks Robby! That means a lot to both of us. I was getting worried.....but your opinion means so much to us so this is really nice to hear coming from you.